As from the 8th June...

The Zee

....as you probably all know the paper part of the driving licence is no more as all details will be on line. No biggy really. What is a pain is if you want to hire a car or get a courtesy car from your local car dealer it's a different ball game. To prove you have a licence to drive and show any endorsements you have to go onto the DVLA website and enter your licence number and your National insurance number to get a "one time passcode" which will be valid for 72 hours. You then give this code and the last 8 digits of your licence to the dealer so they can also log into the DVLA to check you are who you say you are. Then you can have a courtesy car. By which time the service will probably be done on your own car anyway. Such progress!

• Like 1

Is the code instant? If so, this actually seems like progress to me since I don't carry my paper licence with me 99.99% of the time, so if I'm somewhere away from home and need to rent a car I can do it providing the code is instant.

Is the code instant? If so, this actually seems like progress to me since I don't carry my paper licence with me 99.99% of the time, so if I'm somewhere away from home and need to rent a car I can do it providing the code is instant.

It should be but the site isn't live yet

Glad Im an oldie and still got my green paper licence.

Like you I have the old paper licence but I understand it applies to us as well as the insurance company providing cover on the courtesy car needs the code for verification.

Won't that have expired and in which case you would need to renew and get a photo-card one anyway?

I don't recollect a requirement to upgrade to a photo license unless the paper one is lost ... I will stand corrected if wrong and will need to take the necessary action sooner than my 70th in three years time.

Alan.

I don't recollect a requirement to upgrade to a photo license unless the paper one is lost ... I will stand corrected if wrong and will need to take the necessary action sooner than my 70th in three years time.

Alan.

You must get a new licence if:

If none of these apply and your paper licence is still valid, you don’t need to exchange it for a photocard version.

Edit: From DVLA website^

• Like 2

As from the age of 70 your driving licence is renewed on a rolling 3 year basis. At this time there is no choice but to move to a photo card licence. Paper licence holders are also included in this code thingy because from the 8th June any new endorsements will not be recorded on paper licences, they will be held electronically like photo-card holders. Hence your licence might look clean but DVLA records will show the post 8th June naughties. Hence the need to check as it is a legal responsibility on the company lending you a car.

• Like 1

thank you for that mc, I was going to check after I had finished catching up on here ... I can breathe easy then :)

Cheers ... Alan

yes, I was aware of the need to have a photo licence after reapplying at 70.... but thanks for input ...

I'd say that system is more convenient than the 1 hour it would take me to go through all the drawers and piles of paper work in the office to actually find the paper counterpart! lol

Is this European wide?

Because if so it's going to be a pain in the neck. Often I might rent a car in the middle of a holiday for a few days. And if I'm staying somewhere without internet access and the code expires after 72hrs, I'm stuffed!  :swear:

Is this European wide?

Because if so it's going to be a pain in the neck. Often I might rent a car in the middle of a holiday for a few days. And if I'm staying somewhere without internet access and the code expires after 72hrs, I'm stuffed!  :swear:

Yes it is. This is one of the reasons why people are already complaining about the 72 hour limit.

It would probably cost you a few quid with data roaming or use the car hire company's pc, but they would probably charge you and you would be holding up the irate queue of customers

Yes it is. This is one of the reasons why people are already complaining about the 72 hour limit.

It would probably cost you a few quid with data roaming or use the car hire company's pc, but they would probably charge you and you would be holding up the irate queue of customers

While all of that is true, it's not exactly what I'd call 'progress' :(

However, it depends if thhey actualy check the paper part.  They were not intrested last time I hired one in France.

True. I'm in Spain mid-June, so guess I'll find out. At least with this one I'm getting a car from the beginning, so I'll get a code activated before I leave for the Airport.

Thanks Manny. Couldn't remember whether they were bothered last time in Spain. Think I produced both, but not sure whether they did anything with the counterpart! There's nothing on it anyway :)

When I was reading about this a while back it was only needed if the hire company didn't already have access to the DVLA licence portal, so it's only going to be needed for back street hire companies that are too small to have this kind access.

I don't know if that's since changed but it read like the majority wouldn't ever need it?

Personally, I'm not really bothered about setups in the UK. If it comes to it, it would be quite easy to get the validation code there and then. My main issue is regarding European bookings, which is where I book most hire cars......

There's currently a website part of the .gov site that you can check your details on now, we use it daily (main dealer) all you need is your license number and national insurance number and post code. No codes and can check for free as many times as you want, will tell you what vehicles you can drive and and points/disqualifications

• Like 1

If assume if it's that way in the UK then it's going to be the same in the EU, if Avis have access to it then they'll be able to check here or in Spain etc. Then again this is the DVLA :D

Hate Avis with a passion so would never use them. But that's a different story!

There's currently a website part of the .gov site that you can check your details on now, we use it daily (main dealer) all you need is your license number and national insurance number and post code. No codes and can check for free as many times as you want, will tell you what vehicles you can drive and and points/disqualifications

It can be viewed HERE

• Like 1