Rattle on startup

I don't know if I have just noticed this or that it has always done it but I get an almost diesel or "there's no oil in the engine" kind of rattling noise for a couple of seconds after starting the engine.

I've had a good rake around and some say that it's normal others say timing belt tensioners which I would find strange on a 6 month old car with under 4000 miles. Has anyone else had it or should I be getting it into the garage? As I say it's only for a couple of seconds on startup.

And, yes, there's plenty of oil in the engine.

Funny you should mention it - There was another thread on here (recent one too) about start-up rattles. A few of us Rapid owners have a variety of strange front-end rattles and clanks that seem to go away when up to operating temp.

My car make some front-end rattles at start-up that go away after a few minutes driving. My best guess is the turbo heat shield moving about when cold.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

The 1.2 TSI 8v has a reputation for this, more so on the early engines some of which suffered chain stretch (fixed by an uprated chain), otherwise it can be attributed to oil drain down within the engine.

TP  

Had the car looked at when I first started noticing it - timing chain checked and ruled out by both dealer and indi. Oil drain down (or the common loose het shield) more likely culprits.

Yep same as me was very worried about the noise as sounded like timing chain to me. Demanded that they checked the tension and apparently it was absolutely fine. The thing that worries me though is I like others got the old Oil drain down the engine... Right so basically when it starts up the top of the engine is running with no oil in it. Surely this means that it will wear out MUCH faster?

Had a listen to mine today, just being curious if it does it on start up, don't normally get to hear properly because the radio is on.

Been standing two days and all sounds good when started.

Edited by MickA
  • Like 1

Well it didn't do it today but seems to have coincided with putting more oil in at the weekend so I wonder if it has got something to do with the oil draindown?

On a related note, is it just me or is it really difficult to read the dipstick on this engine? Every car I've had I pull it out, wipe it, put it back in then pull it back out and see where the oil level is. On the Rapid it doesn't seem that obvious as there seems to be oil on various parts of the dipstick.

Not just you - I find the dipstick to be a bit smeary when cleaned and reinserted, making it hard to get a clean reading.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Every car I've had recently have been hard to read the level on the dipsticks.

Remedy.....leave overnight and check it before a start up the following day. Or as I have done in the past, leave the dipstick out overnight then dip the oil in the morning (you have to remember you have left the dipstick out though) :peek:

My 2010 Astra did this. It sounded like a diesel for about 2-3 seconds every time I started the engine from cold and was caused by a timing chain tensioner that was taking too long to tension the chain. In the Vauxhall's case, it's a not-uncommon problem caused by the design of the tensioner, which relies on oil pressure rather than a spring for its tension (made worse by a ridiculous 20k miles service interval). It went on like this quite happily for about a year before I lost my nerve and forked out nearly £500 for a complete timing chain kit plus engine flush, oil and filter. I don't know if the same applies to the 1.2TSI or if it's a different issue to do with the chain, but if your car is still under warranty I would recommend you try and get the dealer to fix it. 

Edited by RapidPaul

So far mine hasn't used any either.

Same here, mine doesn't seem to use any dinosaur goo at all (and I check oil levels weekly).

I find that reading the oil level on the Rapid dipstick is really difficult , thought it was because the dipstick is coloured black .  Doesn't seem to use any though   I hope  !!

I have an MX% and the diptstick is bad - oil doesn't seem to stick to it and it doesn't show very well, especually with new oil! Some owners, I believe roughen up the offending bit of the dipstick with a bit of sandpaper to improve matters. Haven't tried it myself yet though.

• Like 1