roomster tyre pressures and tiptronic question

Hello,

I am new to this forum having purchased a few months ago a 2008 Roomster 1.6 Petrol with a tiptronic gearbox. I am very pleased with it so far.

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can give me some advice on. I have searched the forum but have not found anything that actually answers my questions so here goes:

1. What is the ideal tyre pressures when travelling with two people and a full compartment of luggage. This is for a journey of around 1300 kms and I cannot figure out the best pressures to use for this scenario. The information supplied in the petrol cap does not cover this. Any advice/tips please?

2. What is the best position to put the tiptronic in when using cruise control. When on the motorway and encountering many hills with cruise control set for about 120kms the roomster sometimes has problems climbing the hills depending on steepness etc. Is it wise to put it in the manual position and change down to 5th or is this a No No...or is there a better way of handling this situation. Any advice tips gratefully received.

Kindest Regards, Ken

You should be able to use Drive mode with cruise control. The gearbox should be changing down automatically when needed on hills.

Unless the hill is too steep to maintain the set speed then you should have no problems.

Is it changing down by itself?

Phil

What size tyres are they?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Tyres are 195/55/15 all season

You should be able to use Drive mode with cruise control. The gearbox should be changing down automatically when needed on hills.

Unless the hill is too steep to maintain the set speed then you should have no problems.

Is it changing down by itself?

Phil

That's a very good question. I know that without cruise on it changes down however I do not think it does it when cruise is applied.

I am going on a long trip soon so I will have to check this out. I did read somewhere that someone had problems in cruise when climbing steep hills and he used the manual setting and changed down manually into 5th. That statement is why I was unsure whether it does change down in cruise or is indeed supposed too. I did think maybe cruise should be disengaged in order to get back up to a reasonable speed on a steep hill. I am a little confused now as to what it is supposed to do.

Re. question 2, I have the same engine/gearbox on mine.  I only ever use cruise on the motorway, where hills are generally not so steep and  I just leave the car in drive (D). 

The cruise control is pretty crude in that it tries to match the speed to EXACTLY what's set.  That can create a less than relaxing experience on hills since it will just increase the throttle to whatever it takes to maintain the set speed.  It'll also drop down one, two or even three gears until you're at high revs and full throttle trying to maintain the speed.

For a relaxing ride on steep hills I'd just turn the cruise off and drive up the hills allowing the speed to drop a bit with less gear changes. 

• 7 months later...

Thanks for this post. Just bought my Roomster 1.6 auto petrol, and according to the info inside the petrol cap, my tyre pressures read 230 in the front, 210 in the rear.... that can't be right, I thought! And that's not the Bar reading, it's the other one.

My tyres are 205/45Z/R16 87w extra load, it says.

According to the link, the tyre pressures should be 32 front/30 rear: and fully loaded, 33/46? Is this correct?

What on earth does all that info inside the petrol cap refer to then?

Thanks, M.

Can you take a picture of the info and post it here?

32 PSI equates to roughly 2.30bar

30 PSI equates to roughly 2.10bar

Are you sure you aren't just missing the 'point' when you are looking at the digits?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It is really a case of buy a Czech built car and get what they give you really.

The first anyone should notice it is after they collect a car New or Used and check and set the Tyre Pressures, and that gives them notice to find out what it means they need to set the tyres at in PSI.

• Like 1

I can agree with the 30/32 for normal driving, but fully laden - 33/46????  I will need this info for when I start towing my caravan, can anyone confirm these are the right pressures for fully laden? 46 seems high for a rear tyre loaded weight, but then it could just be me worrying about nowt!  LOL.

Yes, GOSRooToot - I have just bought this car, and I have just noticed it! :)

Hi Morgana and welcome to Roomster ownership  :thumbup:

I've just checked the filler cap info on mine.

The recommended tyre pressures for mine are very similar to yours:

Symbols show 3 adults + 1 suitcase (normal load?) - F 2.2Bar - R 2.1Bar

Symbols show 5 adults + 3 suitcases (full load?) - F 2.3 Bar - R 3.2 Bar

So yes, 46PSI (3.2 Bar) seems to be the correct pressure to use when fully loaded.

But I have never driven fully loaded and I do not tow.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies.  I've never got the hang of bar pressures. At the garage, you have to input the psi.... and the same on my tyre inflator at home.

46psi rear fully laden (or towing a small caravan, as I hope to be later on this year) still seems high to me. I hope it doesn't give too much 'bounce'! :) Maybe to do with the noseweight of towbar and caravan, perhaps.

• 1 month later...

Have a look at the information printed on the inside of the fuel filler flap. 

Mine lists the recommended pressures for all standard- and low- profile tyres normally fitted to Roomsters.

The recommended tyre pressures are the same regardless of profile.

Edited by Robjon
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...