Remaps and cooling

Hi everyone,

Just a question for those with remapped Mk2 Octy vRS.  After the remap did you find your cooling system worked harder / struggled and that you eventually had to put in an upgraded rad or oil cooler ?

I was looking at upgraded rads and oil coolers in fleabay and one guy insisted a new upgraded rad and oil cooler were essential if you remapped a vRS due to the standard system not coping well with the extra performance.  I know he's just trying to sell his stuff by scaring the bejesus out of people but thought I'd ask here to get the truth of the matter.

The stock cooling system is more than efficient!

Especially if your only on stage 1. I'd change it for a stage 2 or higher for cooler running temps so I can run a higher boost but as previously stated not needed on a stage 1.

The stock cooling system is more than efficient!

Especially if your only on stage 1. I'd change it for a stage 2 or higher for cooler running temps so I can run a higher boost but as previously stated not needed on a stage 1.

We regularly exceed 30celsius where I live (peaked at 45c) and I've never had a cooling issue.  

Stage 1 bluefin.

Things that probably help a small amount:

I've plugged all the gaps around the radiator so that all the air is forced through the AC / IC / rad fins.

Golf r intercooler

removed first stage of the cat con.

oil/filter changed every 7500km (keeps the engine clean & sludge free so cools better)

Additional water / oil cooling isn't something that I worry about

Strangely, after asking this question I found out a friend is looking to buy, possibly, a Mk1 Octy vRS for a project car to upgrade the heck out of the performance.  :p

Edited by SkodaKitteh