Mirrorlink - update from Skoda UK 29/5/2015

Have been to see my dealer today to put in a formal complaint re Mirrorlink pre Week 22 said it looked as if we have been totally abandoned. Asked about the Garmin Satnav he did not know anything about that. He admits the dealers have been left in the dark by Skoda UK. He asked if I wanted Skoda UK to ring me but I told him waste of time sadly he agreed. As someone said on this forum they thought the mirror link Skoda has fitted is a hacked about version why would phones that were on the list disappear when customers received their cars 12 weeks later Joe

Some good news for a change but before I go in to it this , this worked for me at my expense I take no responsibility if it does not work for others .

As some of you know I tried a Sony z3 mini to use mirrorlink I was not happy either with the phone or the apps so I got rid and sat there moaning about it all ,and carried on reading everyone's woes until I read Kasperriis post about the htc m8 so I decided to try one only problem I was told no longer stocked when I tried to upgrade with the wonderful O2 . This week I've been on holiday in the lakes and as it was raining we went to Whitehaven to do some shopping and while there I went in to the EE shop explained my problem so we tried an m8 which worked fine until we moved lol.but everything else worked as should so I said I would give it a try . Gets back to shop they've got no stock but I could try a Htc one m9 I said it won't work but hey ho I gave it a go with proviso that if it didn't not work I could return under 14 day policy . Well guess what it's working ,the full version of Sygic works very well I can't play music from blue tooth or sd card at the minute. But I put some music on the phone and it's working fine now .I've just got to get used to the android system again (version 5.0.2 )so it seems I've cracked it at the minute .

I have a work phone and a private one so now all I need to do is decide which to switch to EE

I know it has cost me money but Skoda don't give a monkeys about it,so I think it will be worth it in the long run because my wife says it will stop me moaning lol[emoji3]

Ps if I I'm back here on moaning you know what's happened.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

I have had a slightly improved offer from Skoda.

It is now a three way negotiation with my dealer, Skoda UK, and myself.

They have offered to install the Kenwood MIB NAV which is basically a black box Sat Nav that sits behind the glovebox.

The interior of the car remains the same, as it is plug and play.

Although it doesn't say that it is approved for a mk3 Fabia, it has been tested on one and works fine.

Now here's the kicker.

They want me to pay for a third of it.

The retail of the fitted unit is £599, but they want me to pay a third of the fitted trade price, which I would estimate at maybe £100? as I have not yet had this price confirmed.

This does not still solve the core issue, and it is interesting that both 'fixes' that Skoda have come up with avoid Mirrorlink completely..........strange isn't it?

The Kenwood unit does look quite good, BUT, why should I have to pay a contribution for an item that does not solve the issue which I have raised?

My Bolero was meant to be updated, and Skoda can't do it.

Therefore the next logical step is a new vehicle with the new unit.

I will be asking for some figures to be created to see what can be offered, so we will see.

With Skoda UK's bullish stance, I am not that hopeful that any figures will stack up.

I did also fire off an e-mail to Martin Winterkorn's office (Head of Worldwide VW group) and surprisingly got a response - it has been passed onto Skoda (but not the useless watered down UK version)

So that's where I am with that one.

Mick - Let us know how you get on with your Phone and especially Sygic, would be interested in how it performs when out on the road - if it freezes etc

• Like 3

At least they are offering something Kev. My case was closed or so I found out it's now been elevated to a senior manager who was supposed to ring me yesterday I'm in the Lake District and the phone signal is patchy but Im getting other calls I never got a call or message from Skoda Typical they really have struck rock bottom .I'm being polite which is really not how I feel . Hence my decision to pay for the phone ,And just enjoy the car .

I've used the Sygic app and it has not froze like before , it can be a bit awkward to set up the screen is sometimes only the same size as the phone screen but when I get used to the phone system it should be ok.

I'm driving home tomorrow I try it out , but having very little music on this phone yet I'm not going to use all the way home . That's for sure .

Keep you posted Kev.

• Like 2

Therefore the next logical step is a new vehicle with the new unit.

I will be asking for some figures to be created to see what can be offered, so we will see.

With Skoda UK's bullish stance, I am not that hopeful that any figures will stack up.

I did also fire off an e-mail to Martin Winterkorn's office (Head of Worldwide VW group) and surprisingly got a response - it has been passed onto Skoda (but not the useless watered down UK version)

So that's where I am with that one.

Mick - Let us know how you get on with your Phone and especially Sygic, would be interested in how it performs when out on the road - if it freezes etc

Hi Kev I would not be to confident of the new Skoda unit working the person I saw today at my Skoda dealers had been to see a demonstration of the new unit and they could not get it to work.  I notice on the Skoda website that they appear to absolve themselves of any responsibility regarding Mirror Link new units and matching phones. It might pay to take the offer or see if the new units works on the new vehicles first. Out of idle curiosity who is the registerd owner of Mirror Link they might not be to happy with all the bad publicity if Skoda have tinkered with it   Joe

Edited by JoePeddos
  • Like 1

Some good news for a change but before I go in to it this , this worked for me at my expense I take no responsibility if it does not work for others .

As some of you know I tried a Sony z3 mini to use mirrorlink I was not happy either with the phone or the apps so I got rid and sat there moaning about it all ,and carried on reading everyone's woes until I read Kasperriis post about the htc m8 so I decided to try one only problem I was told no longer stocked when I tried to upgrade with the wonderful O2 . This week I've been on holiday in the lakes and as it was raining we went to Whitehaven to do some shopping and while there I went in to the EE shop explained my problem so we tried an m8 which worked fine until we moved lol.but everything else worked as should so I said I would give it a try . Gets back to shop they've got no stock but I could try a Htc one m9 I said it won't work but hey ho I gave it a go with proviso that if it didn't not work I could return under 14 day policy . Well guess what it's working ,the full version of Sygic works very well I can't play music from blue tooth or sd card at the minute. But I put some music on the phone and it's working fine now .I've just got to get used to the android system again (version 5.0.2 )so it seems I've cracked it at the minute .

I have a work phone and a private one so now all I need to do is decide which to switch to EE

I know it has cost me money but Skoda don't give a monkeys about it,so I think it will be worth it in the long run because my wife says it will stop me moaning lol[emoji3]

Ps if I I'm back here on moaning you know what's happened.

Try to go to auto app settings and disabile the automatic app launch of app whee connector to head unit that start sygic press radio or media on the Bolero and you will be alle to use with in the maxidot radio and media. Try and let me know, to my Car and my m8 world fine and i ma abile to raise volume of sygic when it speaks, infact usino volume buttino on steering wheel you will se a lotte flag in the maxidot that is the sygic volume

• Like 1

UPDATE:

I have had a slightly improved offer from Skoda.

It is now a three way negotiation with my dealer, Skoda UK, and myself.

They have offered to install the Kenwood MIB NAV which is basically a black box Sat Nav that sits behind the glovebox.

The interior of the car remains the same, as it is plug and play.

Although it doesn't say that it is approved for a mk3 Fabia, it has been tested on one and works fine.

Now here's the kicker.

They want me to pay for a third of it.

The retail of the fitted unit is £599, but they want me to pay a third of the fitted trade price, which I would estimate at maybe £100? as I have not yet had this price confirmed.

@kevrs16 - Can I just ask out of curiosity, how long did it take until they made you this offer? I mean, can you approximate, how many calls, email etc did you have until this came along? I am trying to decide if this is the path that I should take as well, although ..not sure I want to loose too much of my time, stressing myself out and talking with idiots on the phone. This Fabia is my last Skoda as well :(

Have sent the following email to the car consortium ie Mirrorlink in the U.S.

Hi all you guys at CCCA over here on the other side of the pond UK people have beeing buying Skoda cars with Mirrorlink fitted but they are having mega problems getting phones to link to the system even those having Mirrorlink 1.1 on their phones . I appreciate there may be commercial reasons why you may not be able to answere this email but I would appreciate it if you read the following link in a Skoda users forum http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/357070-mirrorlink-update-from-skoda-uk-2952015/ Many thanks Joe

If I get a reply I will let you know

@kevrs16 - Can I just ask out of curiosity, how long did it take until they made you this offer? I mean, can you approximate, how many calls, email etc did you have until this came along? I am trying to decide if this is the path that I should take as well, although ..not sure I want to loose too much of my time, stressing myself out and talking with idiots on the phone. This Fabia is my last Skoda as well :(

This has been going on for a couple of months. Calls and e-mails wise I dread to think, it must be near a hundred combined I reckon. 

There have been times when I have got a bit stressy with it, and I think am I just being a bit over sensitive about Mirrorlink not being updated.

But then I was promised it as we all were, so I'm carrying on, on a matter of principal really - maybe even cutting my nose off to spite my face.

I don't know if you will see it as 'worth it' but maybe if one of us can set a precedent then it may make it easier for those that follow, who knows.

I have asked for figures to be worked out for swapping my car for a new one, not saying that is the route I will take, but the figures and contributions from the parties involved would be interesting to see.

A Kenwood MIB NAV unit is on hold for me currently, should I want it, but I don't think personally, that the current offer is good enough by quite a way.

Good luck to anyone that wishes to take on Skoda and Skoda UK, as they are in a permanent state of denial at the moment, but I am further along this week than I was last, so lets see.

Edited by kevrs16
  • Like 2

I've just sent some pictures over to Whatcar? who seem to be keen on publishing a story about this... So you're not alone Kevrs16, we have to keep the pressure on.

• Like 1

Try to go to auto app settings and disabile the automatic app launch of app whee connector to head unit that start sygic press radio or media on the Bolero and you will be alle to use with in the maxidot radio and media. Try and let me know, to my Car and my m8 world fine and i ma abile to raise volume of sygic when it speaks, infact usino volume buttino on steering wheel you will se a lotte flag in the maxidot that is the sygic volume

Hi Carlitos yes it's all ok everything is now working as you said it would ,thanks very much .

Sygic is working well at the minute no lock ups or any problems .

But what a bloody farce that I have to buy a new phone and a sat nav app just to use my car as described in the brochure . [emoji35]

• Like 3

so I have been following this issues, it was one of the things that caused me to discount the fabia as it didn't work with my windows phone

a question which I think I relevant too many as more motor manufacturers seem to be buying into mirrorlink with similar levels of success to skoda

if a new model of phone hits the streets and is mirrorlink 1.1 compliant will it work out the box or does it need to be added to a list of compatible phones by the motor manufacturer? if so how does the update get distributed?

• Like 1

It should be added to the manufacturers website and the truly awful mirrorlink site but in reality it will take people longer to find out until somebody try's the new phone and posts on sites like Briskoda.

newbie here..... :nerd:

i have been following this post intently as i am having the very same mirrorlink dramas. i am a completely doesnt work customer having tried every brand of phone on the planet and getting the connection cancelled notification.

Skoda UK have passed me from pillar to post but have now offered me a Garmin Sat nav too, which i am not willing to take either.

The reason i have reared my head on here is because the during my last conversation with her i stated i feel tied into a contract (as i have financed my car) to which the product does not do as originally stated therefore i feel misold....her reply was a snooty....well the car isnt even yours till you have paid it off so i suggest you contact VWFS and take that up with them.

VWFS have said they dont deal with technical issues and have passed me back to Skoda UK.

So i need help from your good selves? what should be my next move?

P.S i really like the car itself and they have discontinued my colour....yellow of course :sun:

newbie here..... :nerd:

i have been following this post intently as i am having the very same mirrorlink dramas. i am a completely doesnt work customer having tried every brand of phone on the planet and getting the connection cancelled notification.

Skoda UK have passed me from pillar to post but have now offered me a Garmin Sat nav too, which i am not willing to take either.

The reason i have reared my head on here is because the during my last conversation with her i stated i feel tied into a contract (as i have financed my car) to which the product does not do as originally stated therefore i feel misold....her reply was a snooty....well the car isnt even yours till you have paid it off so i suggest you contact VWFS and take that up with them.

VWFS have said they dont deal with technical issues and have passed me back to Skoda UK.

So i need help from your good selves? what should be my next move?

P.S i really like the car itself and they have discontinued my colour....yellow of course :sun:

Your contract is with your supplying dealer, which is why my situation has now become a three way negotiation.

Whether you believe it to be your dealers fault or not, they are the ones that you need to take it up with.

Skoda UK are denying responsibility, so currently that is the best route to take.

Since I have involved my dealer more, the offer has mildly increased to a integrated Kenwood MIB NAV, but with a contribution from myself - a slightly better offer nonetheless.

Unfortunately it is a long and drawn out process................but the more of us that take them on?????

• Like 1

Your contract is with your supplying dealer, which is why my situation has now become a three way negotiation.

Whether you believe it to be your dealers fault or not, they are the ones that you need to take it up with.

Skoda UK are denying responsibility, so currently that is the best route to take.

Since I have involved my dealer more, the offer has mildly increased to a integrated Kenwood MIB NAV, but with a contribution from myself - a slightly better offer nonetheless.

Unfortunately it is a long and drawn out process................but the more of us that take them on?????

I feel bad as i done all my research online for my fabia. the dealer never sold me the car, i told them what i wanted and explained that i wanted the SE because of the mirrorlink.

The dealer was unaware of the mirrorlink issues, i believe Skoda UK have kept them in the dark too as for a while i was keeping my dealer updated with the outcome.

im all up for taking them (Skoda UK) on!!

The customer service is appauling and i refuse to be fobbed off with a cheap garmin.....wish id just bought the polo.

• Like 1

I feel bad as i done all my research online for my fabia. the dealer never sold me the car, i told them what i wanted and explained that i wanted the SE because of the mirrorlink.

The dealer was unaware of the mirrorlink issues, i believe Skoda UK have kept them in the dark too as for a while i was keeping my dealer updated with the outcome.

im all up for taking them (Skoda UK) on!!

The customer service is appauling and i refuse to be fobbed off with a cheap garmin.....wish id just bought the polo.

I still like my car, and I certainly won't be complaining with the 77.4mpg I got the other day!

I have told my dealer I don't blame them, and I explained the same to Auto Express, so hopefully the article when printed will reflect that.

Although I have asked for figures to replace mine with a new one (would have to be a hell of an offer) it is telling that the dealer said to me that he wasn't sure that I would be any better off with the new Smartlink system.

No cars have come through with Smartlink yet, and I have to say, even if I did change mine, it had crossed my mind that I could be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

We will see, but the current offer of the Kenwood MIB NAV with a contribution from me won't cut it.

• Like 1

I still like my car, and I certainly won't be complaining with the 77.4mpg I got the other day!

I have told my dealer I don't blame them, and I explained the same to Auto Express, so hopefully the article when printed will reflect that.

Although I have asked for figures to replace mine with a new one (would have to be a hell of an offer) it is telling that the dealer said to me that he wasn't sure that I would be any better off with the new Smartlink system.

No cars have come through with Smartlink yet, and I have to say, even if I did change mine, it had crossed my mind that I could be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

We will see, but the current offer of the Kenwood MIB NAV with a contribution from me won't cut it.

Smart link will be invariably better. People need to remember that a cable is still required for features to work for Apple CarPlay until iOS 8.4 when it becomes wireless, then we have to wait until the stereo is updated as well. So it looks like it'll be slow until we have all of these updates in place, anyway. I suspect whoever tried Smartlink and says it doesn't work is not very tech savvy, or just trying to play down how much different it should be!

Smart link will be invariably better. People need to remember that a cable is still required for features to work for Apple CarPlay until iOS 8.4 when it becomes wireless, then we have to wait until the stereo is updated as well. So it looks like it'll be slow until we have all of these updates in place, anyway. I suspect whoever tried Smartlink and says it doesn't work is not very tech savvy, or just trying to play down how much different it should be!

Updates?.........Skoda don't do updates.

They tell the dealers they will, so they can take our money, then they just don't bother.

(I'm being facetious)

• Like 3

I have a retrofitted Kenwood MIB in my Golf 7 and it is far superior to the Amundsen as far a I'm concerned. It's basically a fully featured top of the range Garmin system with built in Trafficmaster. Love it. If you can get it for free I would say it is a far better option than mirrorlink... although not knowing mirrorlink I couldn't comment, but all the reviews I have read say that it is a slow, laggy and buggy system, even when it is working. I only ordered Amundsen on my Fabia as it is cheaper then the Kenwood, at £275 which is almost a third the price that VW charge for their version!