Anyone use a non towbar bike rack with their VRS

I'm looking to fit a bike rack to the VRS, I don't have a tow bar but have a rack.. but the boot lid is mostly glass and I assume it wouls just crack the glass if the clips are placed around the edge..

Has anyone used a specific type to get around this problem?

I've been using the Halfords type folding one with no issues. I had it lying around as my only available option when I got the car intending to get something better but it's been ok. The top bar rests on the glass and the hooks are straps that are fed into the top lip with a barrel to hold them, they don't actually hook onto the glass. There's only my bike that goes on it but just don't go nuts with the top and make sure the top bar is well padded and sits square on. Most of the weight is on the bumper anyway with the overhang of the bike.

I used a Halfords own high rear mounted rack for years without any issues.  It normally had three bikes on and the car would happily cruise at motorway speeds with no ill effects other than fuel consumption.  This is the same as ours,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halfords-High-mount-3-cycle-bike-carrier-rack-/331570502485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d33245b55

I had a Thule rack on the roof. Worked very well for occasional use.

Yeah nice price too for occasional use. I had roof bars and carrier on the Seat, didn't like leaving them on when not in use (mpg) and just became a real PITA, they're great systems but cost a fortune for what they are. Don't think you can beat a quick release on/off boot rack if bikes is all you carry.

I use a non towbar job. It has 3 hook things that sit inside the car and 2 more that hook down under the car. It was originally for a vectraB but fits my octavia fine and fitted my old octavia too. Ive had to put some of that foam pipe insulation on it now so it doesnr damage the spoiler

I've got racks on my roof. Used to have a boot one but got fed up of the pain of trying to use the boot at the same time. Plus I burst a tyre from the exhaust heat on a long fully laden run.

I much prefer bikes on the roof! Useful to have for moving anything & everything too.

If my bike wheel was hanging that low I'd have taken it off. Can still open the boot with most racks. I actually prefer having bikes on the roof but with the price of the kits and not liking leaving it on when not in use it just doesn't make much sense for me.

just bought a halfrauds bike rack fro me roof, at the mo its only got my sons bike on but fits fine and was only 20 plus i picked up some octavia roof bars cheap off ebay! 

just bought a halfrauds bike rack fro me roof, at the mo its only got my sons bike on but fits fine and was only 20 plus i picked up some octavia roof bars cheap off ebay! 

I've just done the same.  I got some roof bars off Gumtree and four Thule carriers for the bikes for less than £100 from ebay.  Similar to Howardvrs I got fed up of the limited access to the boot when the rack was on the boot lid so I thought I'd try the roof option.