Buying used Yeti from distance...

Badgekisser

Hi,

First post though been reading a while. New family means I have to get rid of a Polo and have decided on a Yeti.

Found one but it involves a 300 mile round trip to see it. Under used warranty so checked with SUK and they said it could be seen by any dealer nationwide if any problems so that's resolved a concern of mine.

Would love some advice on what to email the dealer before driving to see car.

Will ask about protective film added to protect from stone chips and to see if possible fuel leak was taken care of re. VOSA site (thanks for info on here)

Is there anything else I should be asking about on the car?

Many thanks

Earlier Yetis were susceptible to rust on the inside of the doors at the bottom - this should be dealt with under warranty without argument, and the rear door protection film applied .  At five years old a diesel engined Yeti shoud have had a cambelt change, and at that age and mileage a 4x4 should have had the Haldex oil changed.  If it's a DSG then I think the gearbox fluid should be changed but I don't have a DSG so maybe someone else will come along and confirm that.

Condition of the clutch is important as potentially a bargaining tool.

Generally if the clutch doesn't start to engage till nearly fully up, it's on the way out.....~£500 at least from a dealer I would think.

• Like 1

Thank you Julie.

Sorry, not making a good start...

It's petrol

Manual

There isn't a 2.0litre petrol-otherwise I'd have bought one -petrols are 1.2, 1.4 and 1.8 :sun:

Condition of the clutch is important as potentially a bargaining tool.

Generally if the clutch doesn't start to engage till nearly fully up, it's on the way out.....~£500 at least from a dealer I would think.

Thanks. That's a great tip.

An excellent combination and with a good reputation but you cannot buy it without driving it -is there anyone on here near the car who could look it over and check it out for you? I'd help if it were local to me.

Yep, car is in for NS driveshaft gaitor, which has a small split, plus front discs and pads...

Very happy to sniff around car you have in mind and take snaps for you? 

I like and trust Rainworth, which is why I travel 35 miles for my servicing there. :thumbup:

Thank you Robin. That would be so helpful.

I've never been that bothered with cars before, not even when buying last car from new. Always seen them as more of a necessity than anything else. Recently test drove a Yeti and absolutely loved it. Can see one taking my family and I on many an adventure over the years to come.

So I asked the questions recommended on here and this was the response...

The car has only one previous owner. The car has always been serviced by Skoda main dealer.

There has been no paintwork or damage on the car.

all the recalls have been done on the car.

The cam belt needs changing either every 100k or 4 years so no the cam belt has not been changed, we will change the cam belt as well.

The car was last serviced in December 2013 at 36627 and is due a service which we will do.

The air con was re gassed in December 2014.

The car has had rear brakes pads and front discs and pads replaced this year in Jan.

The car has no rust and is in very good condition.

The car was put in as a part ex.

Sounds very genuine then!

If you don't close the deal before Monday, I'll give it a look over when i visit and report back!

The air con was re gassed in December 2014.

This is the only bit that would concern me.... why was the A/C regassed? The car is nowhere near old enough to need a re-gas unless the system has a leak in it - which is actually quite common on the Yeti because the condenser gets holed by stones due to its location on the car.

Just re-gassing the system won't actually fix the issue - the leak needs to be sourced & fixed also - so I would be asking a bit more about this - as if the condenser is holed, your A/C will fail again (if it's not already doneso) and you'll be left with a big bill to repair it.

Mine was re-gassed yesterday as part of 2nd year service -I opted to have the air con service at my expense since the general service was pre-paid as part of the purchase deal. Nothing wrong before or after but I wanted it good and chilly for the "summer" and my September run to Le Castellet for the Bol d'Or.

Don't overlook the fact that dealers often 'upsell' aircon services, even though they are not required - it's a nice little earner for them! :)

• Like 1

I consciously decided to allow them to upsell me!! They are good people to deal with and I don't grudge my contribution to their bsiness see my 2nd family Skoda thread-the way they dealt with me and daughter was worth It.

• Like 1

A working A/C system should go 10+ years without needing a "service".

Your "A/C Service" probably saw nothing whatsoever done to your car - they probably just added a line to your bill.

After all, why would they bother paying someone to remove perfectly good gas and replace it with perfectly good gas?

Much easier not to do anything but just charge you for it.