Something hanging off my car!

I was walking back towards my car today and noticed something hanging down on the driver's side just below the driver's door underneath.  What is this and how can I fix it?

Many thanks,

Jim

(apologies for bad photo, will take more tomorrow when I have better light)

post-88827-0-41762600-1433622208_thumb.jpg

Edited by jimjazzuk

Gosh that sounds important.  Should I try to tie it up for now until I can get it booked into the garage? It has become detached at the front end is hanging about an inch below where it should be attached.  Has anyone had this happen to their Skoda? Any advice?

Yes indeed it should be secured before you drive again. If a diesel fuel cooler becomes detached partly or completely and is ruptured or the fuel lines become damaged the resulting diesel spill could result in the death of some unsuspecting biker, either travelling in your wake or passing over the spill long after you've gone. Diesel spills are lethal for two wheelers, especially on wet roads. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I found mine hanging down at the front today. It's a fairly easy fix. About 30 mins. 

You'll need a 13mm socket and spanner. A 13mm bolt about 25mm long ish! 2 penny washers. 

I took the broken bolt out. Pushed a screwdriver through the hole as its under the carpet. 

Pulled back the side trim to get hand under carpet and soundproofing. Handy if you have long thin hands or lever the carpet up (I used the jack handle).

Dropped the new bolt with big penny washer through hole. 

Put another penny washer against the body. 

Refit cooler, push carpet flat and refit trim. 

I dont expect to ever have to worry about it again!

Sorted. 

Hope this helps. 

Steve. 

Edited by Bigstevew

I found mine hanging down today. It's a fairly easy fix. About 30 mins. 

You'll need a 13mm socket and spanner. A 13mm bolt about 25mm long ish! 2 penny washers. 

I took the broken bolt out. Pushed a screwdriver through the hole as its under the carpet. 

Pulled back the side trim to get hand under carpet and soundproofing. Handy if you have long thin hands or lever the carpet up (I used the jack handle).

Dropped the new bolt with big penny washer through hole. 

Put another penny washer against the body. 

Refit cooler, push carpet flat and refit trim. 

I dont expect to ever have to worry about it again!

Sorted. 

Hope this helps. 

Steve. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've just noticed the same problem. the welded bolt has sheared from the bodywork. I am going to attempt the same method of repair tomorrow, with the minor difference of drilling the old weld point out and a liberal application of silicone gasket to the inside and car underneath to weatjher proof my repair.