DSG judder in 2nd gear

Is this how you try it with a DQ200 on a Polo GTI Twincharger, and have you had to road test many of those?

You might be in a position to say how many 1.4 TSI Twinchargers in Polo GTI you have had to replace engines in at your work,

& what the latest is from VW on the Spark Plugs when a customer reports misfires and not Misfire Codes are logged.

Any assistance would be good.

Very rarely see any polo gti to be honest. It's the same process for all 7 speed dry clutch gearboxes. In the 4 years I have been at this dealer replaced no twin charge engines, but we don't see any polo gti.

I will have a look for any recent info on spark plugs.

• Like 1

I just asked since the change point of the DQ200 7 speed Twin Dry Clutch does behave rather different as it goes from 1st to 2nd 

@ 6mph (10kph) under light throttles.

Have you not had any VW Polo GTI in for the Service Campaign work on the DSG in the past year?

Edited by goneoffSKi

There were less than half as many Polo GTI 1.4 TSI Twinchargers sold in the UK compared to the Fabia vRS 1.4 TSI,

& then we never know how many had Synthetic Oil in from the Factory,

plus VW / Skoda / Seat & Audi have only contacted Owners or Keepers that they hold contact details for, 

so i can see where some dealerships will not see many Polo GTI but there are ones about that have not had the Service Campaign work done on the DSG.

I deal with clutch judder regularly, work at a VW dealer. There is a dedicated test plan to follow in Odis. On every occasion I have come across its the clutch pack. If you get chance on a quiet road set off slowly in D, when the dash indicates its in 2nd gear slow down to around 10 kmh. Then accelerate but not too hard, don't want it to kick down to 1st. Try and do it on a slight uphill. I have a road near to the dealership I use all the time. The clutch will normally judder under this procedure. The test plan basically checks and updates the software, then erases all adaption values. You then have to road test to adapt the clutch and gear changes. Once adaption is complete you have to carry out the test mentioned. If the clutch judders it's a replacement job.

I can't understand why dealers won't or can't diagnose clutch judder on the 7 speed dry clutch DSG, the test plan is idiot proof.

Thanks for this test plan, very simple but effective. I tried the test plan three times yesterday and not once did it judder. I live on a road with a slight incline and then a steep incline. I tried it on both but still no judder. It's bizarre, it only happens if it's really hot or i've been on a long journey. I didn't think about it at first but we've had really hot weather for a couple of months now and that's when it started. Never had an issue prior to that. It'll be interesting to see if it happens once the weather cools down a bit. 

As we know certain countries like Australia and New Zealand have had recalls due to the hot climate not being suitable for the DQ200. This kind of makes sense as to what is happening with mine. My thinking is if it were clutch pack it would be doing it all the time surely, not once in a while? 

Back to the DSG Judder.

Sorry still not sure on your answer.

?

Has the car had the Service Campaign work done free on the DSG or was it not required.

The Mechatronic Control Unit function checked,

The Synthetic Oil changed to Mineral & a Software Update.

Also a Sticker in the book to show the Field Action as having been carried out.

& the Information in the Service Book & on the Cars Service History on the Skoda System?

Yes this was done last year at the last service, however no sticker and nothing in the service book. But it is logged with Skoda as having been completed. 

As for the software update, i'm not sure but I'm assuming it would have been down at the same time? 

Those countries had what was called a 'Recall' to get done what is called a 'Service Campaign' in the UK & the EU.

(which can have weather pretty close to New Zealands, Wet, Hot, Cold sometimes all in one day.)

So in the countries doing 'Recalls' they had the same thing done as you had done, or should have been done.

Best ask the Dealership that did the Service Campaign if the Software Update was done, and not assume it was.

Because some technicians doing the Service Campaign did not do it.

(ask why no sticker in the boot as well, which shows laxness on the part of the person doing the service campaign.  

The sticker was one of the parts to order for doing the Service Campaign.)

The service campaign in New Zealand had more done than the Recall in the Far East & other World Regions including

Australia. (it was called a World Wide Recall in the Media, and it was except where VW get away with Service Campaigns,

like in Europe, the Home Market.

More done in NZ than in the UK/ EU. just because they had fewer cars to do it to.

They replaced MCU's.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

post-86161-0-81699800-1437255788_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-10011400-1437255801_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-49853500-1437255817_thumb.jpg

To add to your experiences, I have a 2011 VRS with second CAVE engine. Apart from minor things (and the engine being replaced) its been pretty good. Had the DSG service campaign carried out last year at its annual service. Part of this was to do a gearbox reset procedure. I noticed that the way it shifted had changed slightly as obviously the clutch engagement tolerances had shifted slightly. Nothing bad, just different. I have always had occasions where I can get minor judder in 2nd gear as you have. 

Mainly this happens if you start to accelerate harder, say into a roundabout, as it changes into 2nd. In D mode it seems to slip the clutches a lot more in the initial 2 gears to achieve a smooth pull away. If I have just had a few hard blasts, the clutches are obviously hot so it is a bit more noticeable bu still only a minor judder. It isn't violent or harsh by any means. When cold it never does it. If I use M mode from stationary I don't get the judder, the gear shifts aren't smoothed out or prolonged to be smoother. I did notice however after the gearbox service campaign that sometimes it doesnt engage immediately under high torque load on even gears. I presume this is just due to the slightly different clutch programming. It never slips, so I am not worried about clutch failure. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I noticed this on mine today more than ever before, I have experienced it in the past but not taken much notice. However, today I was reversing up the slope on my drive and it was a very noticeable judder/knocking, almost as though it was going to stall. I also noticed it on lessons moving away from junctions/roundabouts around 8mph in 2nd, not a problem coming from 1st into 2nd.

Will this be covered by my extended warranty if anything is needed to be done? I'm going to make sure I know how to replicate it before a dealer visit

It should be covered under the Extended Warranty. 

(as long as the 'Driving School' Exclusion is not there as it was with the Car Care Plan ltd (Skoda Approved Used Warranty)

But then it should be covered by Skoda / VW because of the known faults and failures with the DQ200 DSG, and MCU / Cluch Packs.

• Like 1

It should be covered under the Extended Warranty. 

(as long as the 'Driving School' Exclusion is not there as it was with the Car Care Plan ltd (Skoda Approved Used Warranty)

But then it should be covered by Skoda / VW because of the known faults and failures with the DQ200 DSG, and MCU / Cluch Packs.

Thanks George, as I said, I'll make sure I can replicate it before taking any further, no immediate panic (I hope)

Just while I'm here, off topic for a sec, 215/40/17 tyres will go straight on standard rims won't they? Cheers