What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

Long time no posts, but sadly stopped riding due to ill health. 

It still sits in the garage in case SWMBO decides to take it out. 

We have agreed that if it doesn't do more than 1000 miles this year then I can sell it

6 hours ago, CWARD said:

Sorry to hear the news too, hopefully you’ll find yourself in better health soon. 

Ain’t going to happen I’m afraid, but nothing terminal.

6 minutes ago, CFB said:

Ain’t going to happen I’m afraid, but nothing terminal.

Sorry to hear that again but as you say at least nothing terminal 

Lots more painting on wheels, front forks, brakes, chain and monoshock, and still not finished painting to the point where I can sensibly start main assembly of kit!

Edited by KenONeill

Got the GSXR 600 K3 out of hibernation and went on a good blast yesterday!

Same again today with the lovely weather we are having.

Seems like others have the same idea...

Just coming up to 3 years from passing my test/no claims/getting ready for a change from my first bike.

Only issue is I am still in the area where I need a few more years no claims to nicely bring my insurance down a bit.

I have been looking at k5 gsxr 1000 as they seem to have a great reputation and are only around £4.5k...

• Like 1

Hayabusa model update - Last weekend (16/17) I had a nasty cough so trying to paint 1mm dots to represent set screw heads, and paint things like fork seals and shifter adjusters just wasn't going to happen. This weekend I got those done, added the end cases to the engine, and mounted it in the frame.

Next jobs are painting the front mudguard, and cross drilling the brake discs, after which I should be able to build to the "fitting the plastics" stage.

On 25/02/2019 at 17:40, Cakemonster said:

Me (Triumph ST1050) and Mrs Cakemonster (CBR600) went for a nice little blast on Saturday, I remembered the throttle goes BOTH ways just before passing a parked copper :sweat::blush

We’ve all done that. Get abit giddy n ooohh ****, shouldnt of done that :D :D 

• Haha 1

Got Woolich Racetools fitted to the SP. havent trued it yet though cos the weathers grim. Also added grill mesh whilst i was at it. 

Ready for my first IAM ride out on the 17th. Weather depending. Not done anythin like that before but always eager to learn a few bits. :D 

Not over taking if its going go break the speed limit might be the main difference :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Got Woolich Racetools fitted to the SP. havent trued it yet though cos the weathers grim. Also added grill mesh whilst i was at it. 

Ready for my first IAM ride out on the 17th. Weather depending. Not done anythin like that before but always eager to learn a few bits. :D 

Not over taking if its going go break the speed limit might be the main difference :D 

Had to look up what Woolich Racetools are, electronic wizardry. Have fun :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Kit build - trying to sort out the rear brake and clutch plumbing so I can fit the exhaust system. Also discovered that I have no gloss enamel varnish, which I would like to put on the silver plastics before the metallic blue.

I serviced mine on Saturday. After much deliberation (with myself) I decided to do it myself. The biggest concern was retaining the warranty as it's only just gone a year old but after emailing Kawasaki regarding using an independent they confined both self servicing and the use of an indi would only invalidate if it was shown that this contributed or caused a warranty issue. The way I see it is it would be difficult to differentiate between me/indi/authorised for them if all the authorised dealer was doing oil and filter.

After speaking to the only local authorised dealer regarding booking it in they couldn't offer a courtesy bike, could only say at minimum they'd need it 2-3 hours and wanted £179 for an oil and filter change this left me feeling a bit disappointed, especially as working in finance this time of year it's impossible to get leave. I ended up getting genuine parts for £36 and it took an hour and a half, which included leaving it for an hour to drip out. 

I figured given the weather was decent I'd give it a proper wash which is hasn't had for months. 

3 hours ago, JohnRS said:

I serviced mine on Saturday. After much deliberation (with myself) I decided to do it myself. The biggest concern was retaining the warranty as it's only just gone a year old but after emailing Kawasaki regarding using an independent they confined both self servicing and the use of an indi would only invalidate if it was shown that this contributed or caused a warranty issue. The way I see it is it would be difficult to differentiate between me/indi/authorised for them if all the authorised dealer was doing oil and filter.

After speaking to the only local authorised dealer regarding booking it in they couldn't offer a courtesy bike, could only say at minimum they'd need it 2-3 hours and wanted £179 for an oil and filter change this left me feeling a bit disappointed, especially as working in finance this time of year it's impossible to get leave. I ended up getting genuine parts for £36 and it took an hour and a half, which included leaving it for an hour to drip out. 

I figured given the weather was decent I'd give it a proper wash which is hasn't had for months. 

Dont think they can invalidate it for a self service anyway as long as you use genuine parts and right spec oil. Maybe worth keeping receipts as a record. 

Good effort. Were they billing 2-3 hours labour then or? Cos a tech could do that in no time i bet :D  

wigan yam charged me £110 for an oil and filter change. Time before that it was £80. Even the lad on the service desk looked twice

It’s almost like they don’t want repeat trade. I don’t think they can invalidate your warranty either as they need to prove the work you’d done has caused the fault. They can't put a blanket coverage on the warranty either i.e, an electrical fault with ignition can’t be blamed on you changing the oil. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CWARD said:

It’s almost like they don’t want repeat trade. I don’t think they can invalidate your warranty either as they need to prove the work you’d done has caused the fault. They can't put a blanket coverage on the warranty either i.e, an electrical fault with ignition can’t be blamed on you changing the oil. 

Yup. But some of them seem to try to twist it to almost scare people into using dealers. 

I dont mind payin 80-110 quid tbf. Esp if i can rag a demo bike whilst im waiting :D 

• Haha 1

To be honest it wasn't a surprise. When i was looking for bikes they weren't that interested in my business then, i wrote on my new rider thread about them and this just reinforced the fact I'm unlikely to go back. For anything.

I asked about a Kwaka demonstrator and he said they can't give one as a courtesy bike, God knows why not. To me that's a lot of lost sales there, I reckon there's loads of people who'd buy a bike after using one as a courtesy bike. A colleague had a GS and bought an RT from having one as a courtesy bike, in fact the exact one. He's just had his RT in and got an XR and is now considering one.

For £170 I'd expect a lot more than a bog standard oil and filter change that took me essentially half an hour and less than £40. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And....

I am currently Bikeless  :D

Did about 500 Miles on the ZX10R, Great Bike but was then offered more money than what I paid for it last November.

Models of similar age typically are depreciating steadily but I always knew I would take a hit as I originally planned on selling it at the end of this Season around September.

So when I was offered more money for it I simply said yes, It was collected on Monday morning and its another Bike ticked off a very long list.

So with £10K burning a Hole in my pocket what shall I go for?

Could go for something modern and expensive again but I have also been considering going down the 2 Bike route and buying something a little older, Could have a Naked/Muscle type Bike XJR1300, CB1300 or the likes and a 90's Sports Bike such as a Fireblade on Classic Insurance and probably some change £££.

Decisions

Hayabusa kit build now at cutting masks for the second colour of the 2-tone paint. I'll want to get those on and off fairly quick to stop them taking the first paint colour with them!

Had a pair of tyres on the ST yesterday, Avon Storm 3D.

The new additions to the Cakemonster family probably means they'll last a while...

(A pair of Border Terriers, brother and sister that we've rehomedB))

14 hours ago, Chunk11 said:

Ooh... pics? I’ll go with an S1000RR?! :-)

Nearly but with one less R.

Decided to have a break from full on Superbikes and went for a 2016 S1000R Sport...

40604819233_54d76a3e99_c.jpg

47570758131_e539dcc588_c.jpg

32628319677_9eedfb27f5_c.jpg

32628319747_40e2f2986b_c.jpg

• Like 4