Tyre Wear / Tracking

Last April I purchased a full set of rainsport 3's.

After 10 months I visited a garage for a service and while the car was on the ramp we noticed the inside of the fronts had worn down considerably.

I then had the fronts put to the rear, and the back ones to the front and had the car tracked and balanced again just to be safe.

I have checked again this morning and once again the inside  of the fronts have worn down to a level where it will be touch and go if it passes its MOT in 2 months time.

The outside and centre of the tyres are still all OK.

Do you have any idea what might be causing this? It is very frustrating that I may have to buy a new set of tyres 18 months after buying a new set,

I have roughly traveled 10k on the tyres in that time.

The correct pressures for my vRS are-

Front 2.3 bar

Rear 2.2 bar

Check the sticker on the inside of the fuel filler flap.

SN

Edited by Steve Neate

Wrong tyre pressures doesn't tend to cause wear on one edge (say both insides and not outsides). It causes either wear on both edges at one end or all round, or on one corner only as a rule.

It's both inside fronts being worn that make me think that your toe and/or castor angles are wrong.

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

Worn console bushes probably

Or more speed required on the twisties to burn the outside edges off

Same here with same tyres. Mine also never pulled to the left until I got RS3's... 

Everywhere twists when I take my car for alignment because it's so low and I could only find one place that would/could do it, and it made no difference. 

Worn console bushes probably

Or more speed required on the twisties to burn the outside edges off

Or wishbone tension (or compression) arm bushes rather than console. It would explain why nothing shows up in a static geometry, but you have a classic "wrong toe" symptom.

Same here with same tyres. Mine also never pulled to the left until I got RS3's... 

Everywhere twists when I take my car for alignment because it's so low and I could only find one place that would/could do it, and it made no difference. 

Was it done on a Hunter (or similar) rig? I had mine done at an excellent place in Dudley who really took care and understood suspension settings and could also give a print out of the full before and after settings. Made a big difference and drove great after. Also running RS3's and pretty low on H&R's. 

Was it done on a Hunter (or similar) rig? I had mine done at an excellent place in Dudley who really took care and understood suspension settings and could also give a print out of the full before and after settings. Made a big difference and drove great after. Also running RS3's and pretty low on H&R's. 

how do you rate the h&r suspension?

how do you rate the h&r suspension?

Without going away from this topic much - excellent handling (better than my Weitecs on my Polo 9n3) but the ride is a lot firmer, bearable i'd call it.