Dashcam fitting service - any good?

Looking to get a dashcam but not happy fitting it myself & see that Halfords will hardwire a dashcam bought from them for £30. Has anyone had this done & any recommendations?

I personally wouldn't let anyone from halfords anywhere near my car to fit a bulb, let alone hardwire a dashcam.

What is it that you're uncomfortable with?

It really is simple to do.

Not had any dealings with Halfords so just checking. Would rather not have trailing wires & not confident about messing with car's electrics.,

Not had any dealings with Halfords so just checking. Would rather not have trailing wires & not confident about messing with car's electrics.,

The wires just push underneath the roof lining and down behind the a pillars which take the wires to the fuse box.

Then all you need to do is pull the right fuse out if it into a piggy back fuse and plug it back in.

Use cable ties to tidy everything up and it's done.

I'll admit I was nervous about doing it but it was possibly one of the simplest things I've ever done.

I fitted a power magic pro with mine so tapped into 2 fuses, the rear windscreen wiper for the switched and the 12v socket for the permanent feed.

Everything working as it should, no issues what so ever.

Where in the country are you?

• Like 1

East Yorkshire.

Have looked at the in depth instructions in the forum (with pictures) so will give it a go - just have to decide which dashcam. Looks like Blackvue is favoured by many members.

Thanks for your encouragement.

• Like 1

No problem.

Obviously it's ultimately up to you whether you have a go or not.

I just wouldn't want you to kick yourself when you realise just how simple it is.

I wasn't suggesting halfords won't do a good job, but the reason I won't let them anywhere near my car is because I once took a work car to them for a new brake light bulb (we used to have a contract with them to replace bulbs and windscreen wipers, to relieve some pressure on our workshop)

I told them what bulb I needed, they found one and asked if I wanted it fitting, I said yes, the lad got his toolbox and came out to the car.

It took him 45 minutes to figure out how to get to the bulb assembly and replace it. Then he couldn't get it back in once he had it out!!

That one time destroyed what little confidence I had in halfords.

Hi

I have had dealings with halfords they wired up my wife's hands free wrong and had three goes to put it right, as for dash cam I fitted a mi witness front and rear camera found it straight forward hardest job removing the glove box, give it a go you'll be surprised how easy it is.