Oil Spray Jet (Squirters) Replacement 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132 - 136 kw Twincharger.

@ raymundo, can you say please:

What MPG?

What mileage?

Which engine?

Typical journey length?

Typical driving style - e.g. "Fast & Furious" or "Driving Miss Daisy"?

Have ANY non-Skoda changes been made to the standard engine - including tuning, intake or exhaust.

There is so little hard evidence rather than vague generalisations in relation to the vRS oil consumption problem that it is impossible to learn anything of value.

Edited by vxh26

• 4 months later...

Had the oil jets, breather and Ecu updates just done 6 weeks or so ago....

Cost me £450 though.

Dealer then carried out oil test that said the car needed a new engine, but in 1000+ miles it hasn't used a drop of oil.

Fingers crossed!

In the meantime I've been dealing with skoda uk about the issue and they don't want to know!

Dealership have been great, Skoda UK not so.....

Had the oil jets, breather and Ecu updates just done 6 weeks or so ago....

Cost me £450 though.

Dealer then carried out oil test that said the car needed a new engine, but in 1000+ miles it hasn't used a drop of oil.

Fingers crossed!

In the meantime I've been dealing with skoda uk about the issue and they don't want to know!

Dealership have been great, Skoda UK not so.....

How did their oil test detirmed that the car needed a new engine?

• Like 1

It was deemed that the oil test showed excess oil usage and as the work carried out hadn't worked to fix things, so the oil use was due to worn piston rings.

That's their report.

But the oil test was done on 5-30 oil. I had it refilled with 0-40 and its not used any since then.

It was deemed that the oil test showed excess oil usage and as the work carried out hadn't worked to fix things, so the oil use was due to worn piston rings.

That's their report.

But the oil test was done on 5-30 oil. I had it refilled with 0-40 and its not used any since then.

Could the pistons have been replaced on their own or was it more hassle?

• Like 1

New pistons and rings being fitted was given up by Skoda, VW, Seat, Audi in 2012 when oil users were still low mileage.

It was uneconomic and Short Units started to be supplied, then Base Engines as Short Units were uneconomic as head failures still occurred.

• Like 1

Could the pistons have been replaced on their own or was it more hassle?

Just going off what the dealership said really.

However, I've now found out that Skoda/ The dealers don't want to know when it comes to 'good will' with cost.

So as seen as the car is running fine with the recent mods and isn't burning oil, its staying the way it is.

With the figures quoted on their oil test, the numbers were so far off with what I was noticing the car using I'd say they were all just made up!

For now its running on Mobil 1 0-40, denso plugs and a close eye kept on things and that's the way it'll stay.  I'd even dare say that the 'new engine' idea was a load of BS to get more money.

In the end if it needs big work I'll just do it myself- then use lots of profanity...................

@ raymundo, can you say please:

What MPG?

What mileage?

Which engine?

Typical journey length?

Typical driving style - e.g. "Fast & Furious" or "Driving Miss Daisy"?

Have ANY non-Skoda changes been made to the standard engine - including tuning, intake or exhaust.

There is so little hard evidence rather than vague generalisations in relation to the vRS oil consumption problem that it is impossible to learn anything of value.

No idea how i missed this post,

MPG was anywhere from 20-45mpg

car was on 14k when the work was done and i traded it in at 21k

Engine? 1.4tsi as thats the only engine the fabia mk2 vrs came with  :clap:  :clap:

journeys to work is 7 miles there and 7 back just enough for the oil to come up to temp, longer runs could be anything, i did do about 4k abroad in the alps so about 300 miles a day thrashing the crap out of the engine,

driving style was driving miss daisy to work as its all 30s and 40s, any other time would be a mixture of driving it like i stole it and just making progress, to be fair i was really close to not part ex'ing it as i had finally fixed the oil problem, but family needs ment a bigger car was required.

• Like 1

No idea how i missed this post,

<SNIP>

Easy to do ;) Thanks anyhow for the reply.

<SNIP>

Engine? 1.4tsi as thats the only engine the fabia mk2 vrs came with  :clap:  :clap:

<SNIP>

I believe that this is not strictly true. As I understand it, there were two engines in the Mk.II Skoda Fabia vRS:

CAVE - appeared to display most problems

CTHE - a VW attempt in 2012/2013 to rectify the high oil usage problems

The reason I was curious about this at the time is that there simply must be some reason why some cars / owners suffer and some don't. I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is due to short journeys where the engine oil never reaches its normal operating temperature. This may be exacerbated where people jump in the car, start the engine and drive to the local shops as if they were going for pole - clearly not the case with your 30 to 40 MPH shortish journeys although I guess that it was on those that the MPG figure was at the low end?

Once again, many thanks for the reply.

vxh26 / vxh28  maybe have a look up at the Pinned thread you started on Oil Consumption.

You will see the early CTHE now failing, and the OIl Spray Jet replacements that have failed to resolve the Oil Consumption.

A Mk2 Fabia, VW Polo, Seat Ibiza or Audi A1 1.4 TSI with 132-136 kw engine vehicle that can not just be driven like any other small family car without engines failing 

must have Fundamental Design or Manufacturing faults or faults in Component choices.

But then that seems clear to many.

?

Have you bought a Twincharger yet or driven one again since 2014?

• 2 weeks later...

Question for anyone who has had the oil jet, breather mod, etc.

Have any of you tried different oils since getting the work done?

Someone who i met at a car meet had a VRS and said they used both 0w40 and 10w40 which conforms to VW50X.XX standards and it reduced the consumption.

Has anyone tried this?

Update: anyone tried this oil? 502/505 approved.

http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/car-engine-oil/engine-oil-brands/castrol-magnatec-brand/castrol-magnatec-product-range/castrol-magnatec.html

Edited by Xeon5

I tried Liqui Moly TopTec 4200 (504/507) at my last service, and after 2300km I haven't had to put any top ups in.

Prior to that the consumption had increased to 1L/2000km after initially showing great promise straight after the new jets were installed. I believe that Quantum Long Life was installed at the previous service, however, and George may be onto something in not rating it very highly.

Edited by OzFabia

I tried Liqui Moly TopTec 4200 (504/507) at my last service, and after 2300km I haven't had to put any top ups in.

Prior to that the consumption had increased to 1L/2000km after initially showing great promise straight after the new jets were installed. I believe that Quantum Long Life was installed at the previous service, however, and George may be onto something in not rating it very highly.

Can't say I have heard of that one. Is it exclusive to Australia or is there a UK/European equivalent?

2300km(1429.15miles) is good if the oil hasn't moved. I take it thats a 5w30 oil?

Update: Just browesing the web and someone with an Audi A5 has been doing tests with different oils with Liqui Moly giving him 5000miles/quart:

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-general-q/28567-oil-quality-vs-oil.html

Edited by Xeon5

I have a 2010 Fabia VRS with a Cave engine which has 59k on the clock, the car is still performing really well had

to replace the water pump earlier this year but that's it.

However the oil consumption is getting bad, I am using 1L in 300 miles. The car has not had any of the Skoda mods

i.e. oil jets, breather mod, ECU update... and is totally out of warranty so my question is can I get hold of the

parts to carry out the mods myself, does anyone know the parts numbers?

Regards Tim

Hi Banny mine is booked in @ weekend, A fellow cave man 2010!

Manager agreed to do all fixes for £500 though, The goodwill had expired for me but im getting free backbox out of it. So back up to £750

4.5 hours is standard labour time. IF you can trust someone to do the work....by all means

see this link, this was original quote i got with part no's.

http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-3341-131.html

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/358101-vrs-mk-ii-14-litre-twincharger-oil-consumption-issues/page-8

Also i would read every post you can on here regarding issue & ask yourself is it worth it.

I am on 35K miles no payments left, but i am only 4K miles a year, very short journeys. I would be over the moon if i could get to 60K miles!

Edited by Kobayashi

• 1 month later...

Hows your fabia doing? Still going well with the LM 5w30 Top Tech?

I've had to top up since. Looks like I'm back to around 1L/5000km. I'm not sure if it's the hot weather, but the car always seems to start using a little more oil after the oil is a few thousand kilometres old.

It might try George's 5W/40 spec next time, just for comparison.

• Like 2

It makes a big difference.

I changed the Oil & Filter 2 weeks ago for someone that got in touch after buying privately a SEAT Twincharger that had just had a Main Dealer Service or the invoice for one, 

5w 30 Quantum & a Silver VW/Audi marked Filter.

It had oil in when he bought it and 300 miles later nothing on the dipstick and the seller did not want to know anything, turns out he had it just a month.

So £20 for Asda 5W 40 (VW502 00) & £3.05 for a Mahle filter & i took the oil out of the Dipstick tube and kept it for future use in a suitable engine.

They came along today for me to check the oil after 400 miles and not a drop used.

EDIT.

2 litre was what i vacuumed out of it. (sooked oot)

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

It makes a big difference.

I changed the Oil & Filter 2 weeks ago for someone that got in touch after buying privately a SEAT Twincharger that had just had a Main Dealer Service or the invoice for one, 

5w 30 Quantum & a Silver VW/Audi marked Filter.

It had oil in when he bought it and 300 miles later nothing on the dipstick and the seller did not want to know anything, turns out he had it just a month.

So £20 for Asda 5W 40 (VW502 00) & £3.05 for a Mahle filter & i took the oil out of the Dipstick tube and kept it for future use in a suitable engine.

They came along today for me to check the oil after 400 miles and not a drop used.

EDIT.

2 litre was what i vacuumed out of it. (sooked oot)

I have seen this Asda 5w40 oil mentioned before, would you say it is the "miracle" oil we are after?  :D 

And is it better than Shell Ultra Helix 5w40?

No it just works and is not expensive.

Any 5w 40 FS to VW502 00 will do even from Castrol or Quantum.

The issue really is Long Life oil even if changing regularly even at Fixed Service Intervals.

It is causing issues on short trips where cars are not getting the oil up to temp,  if it is not on anyones cars then they have no need to go to the 5w 40 FS.

The issue really is Long Life oil even if changing regularly even at Fixed Service Intervals.

It is causing issues on short trips where cars are not getting the oil up to temp,  if it is not on anyones cars then they have no need to go to the 5w 40 FS.

If say like me for example you use your car for shorter journeys, is using 5w40 even worth it?