Replacement car key

oldstan

Just spent four hours searching the house.  As a last resort the Mrs. said " check the waste bin as a last resort...just in case" (the one in the kitchen).  

And there they were!  Nestling among the discarded wrappers and assorted household detritus. I must have inadvertently chucked them in with something else.

The distracting factor was I thought I might have taken them round to the local shop (on foot) in order to use the Tesco Points scanner thingy that's with the bunch therefore they might have have been dropped locally on the footway.  I went twice to ask at the shop to see if I'd dropped them there - obviously, with no outcome

All manner of implications were starting to emerge....what if a miscreant finds them in the street and sees the Skoda logo and decides to wander the streets locally pressing the button waiting for the indicators to flash?  

I spent an hour sorting out the steering wheel lock keys so that if a bounder found them (there is a steering wheel lock key on the bunch) he would have to deal with that...(I swapped steering wheel locks over with the Hyundai)... and the car is usually in a locked garage anyway...it was just the odd occasion when it gets put on the drive for washing etc that worried me.

But we found them.

Main question here is...what would it have cost to source a new key and get it programmed etc?  What's involved?

Without a key or the tag that came with the keys I think you're looking at all new locks and keys with the expensive programming to make them work.

I've always had the other key and the tag that was supplied from new.

And, as per the post, I have the "lost" key too. I was just asking what I might have been in for if I hadn't turned the bin out and found the errant item.

This on eBay says it's for the key and programming, all bar getting the key cut. And it needs collecting, I take it that's so he can program it.

SWMBO had he car stolen (thankfully recovered within a week) but the insurance co refused renewal on the basis that she'd left her backpack in the boot which had the spare in it.

Now that the dealer is open I've called to enquire.  You order a new key from the factory (via the dealer) and wait a week or so for it to come....then take the car in to be coded/programmed.  They said approximate cost, inc. coding,  is about £200...maybe a bit less but not a lot.

This sort of situation is the reason that I decreed years ago that we do not have all the keys on one bunch, house and car are always separate. terrifies me when you see people with bunches of keys a foot long!

This sort of situation is the reason that I decreed years ago that we do not have all the keys on one bunch, house and car are always separate. terrifies me when you see people with bunches of keys a foot long!

Fair point but the item I lost (threw in the kitchen waste bin) was one car key plus the steering wheel lock keys  (a Disklok and a Longarm....the Disklok rarely gets used but I try to remember to take it when visiting "certain" parts of London overnight. The Longarm is quick and easy to slip on and offers a visual deterrent if nothing else).  There is also present on the ensemble a Tesco fob and a couple of Track and Trace fobs to (hopefully) allow the item to find its way back to me if found by someone honest....there's a £10 Reward advisory on them.

But thankfully the whole affair is hypothetical now...coz we found them. And we now know the answer to my question is £200.  Or a bit less if I used the services of actionman (Auto Solutions)..thanks for the link there.