APC

neiln

All purpose cleaner.  I am a bit confused.  I see people refer to APC  for various jobs, normally thorough cleaning, removal of old wax or product and such like, on various parts of the car from tyres (current thread) to paint work, before a LSP or a polish.

Do you really mean something like this?

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-all-purpose-cleaner--cotton-1l

Or

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/flash-all-purpose-cleaner--lemon-1l

?  Or do you refer to some auto targeted product?   I'm nervous about using something that might have a bleaching agent/oxidising agent but I guess if the active ingredient is ionic, or nonionic surfactant, and the bottle doesn't say bleaching agent or oxidising agent then it's safe?

And why would I sometimes use IPA and sometimes APC?  For example, IIRC IPA is best for removing polish residues before LSP, would APC not be as good?

Thanks

• Like 1

The reason IPA is used to remove polishing oils is because its alcohol based & flashes off quickly. APC will leave a residue behind, which will affect your LSP application.

As for the 2 links then it's the 2nd one, but personally I use dedicated automotive cleaners, such as various diluted ratios of Autosmart G101.

I use autosmart g101 , can be used on the interior and exterior of your car. Autosmart G101 is professional strength multi-purpose cleaner that is unbeatable for intensive cleaning of neglected wheel arches, engine bays and undercarriage areas. However, the high strength of the solution must not be taken lightly, and care should always be taken to select the correct dilution strength for the task in hand, and to avoid letting it dry out fully before it is rinsed off, otherwise permanent stains may appear on treated surfaces. In short, as long as it is used with a degree of care and at the recommended dilution ratios, Autosmart G101 is an excellent value for money intensive cleaning product, and one that we happily recommend to experienced enthusiasts and professionals alike.

• Like 2