Big engines..pointless?

lozgti

Guest Fabia 12v

Don't know if anyone else jas ever been... but i went to RAF (ex) East Kirkby nr RAF Conningsby (BBMF base) in Lincolnshire....

They are just down the road from the Battle of Britain Memorial flight and they have one of the last 3 working Avro Lancasters in the world.... here they do taxi runs and if u pay enough u can go on one.... the sound of 4 RR Merlins :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: BEST BEST BEST noise in the world!

.... the sound of 4 RR Merlins :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: BEST BEST BEST noise in the world!
A wonderful sound, although I prefer the sound of the 4 Griffons used in the Shackleton. :cool:

.... the sound of 4 RR Merlins :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: BEST BEST BEST noise in the world!

Damn right :thumbup: though they sound better in a Spitfire doing a low pass on full throttle :D

Anyone have any ideas where I can get a RR Merlin for my Octy :rofl: Maybe Jason could help with the install ;):rofl:

i vaguely remember reading something about someone fitting a merlin engine into a car

The last Evo that came through my door had a feature on it ;)

Keep an eye on the mag racks!

Hi

The big engine vs the smaller turbo engine is a matter of taste really. The big engine upsides are ease of use' date=' flexibility and generally instant throttle response. Downside is weight and fuel consumption.

A small turbo engine is lighter, smaller and can achieve similar power outputs to a N/A bigger engine. Downsides are turbo lag, poor relative economy (compared to N/A engies of the same size) and poor low speed / off boost response due to low compression ratios.

Its when you are driving a long way that a big 6, 8 or 12 has the advantage, if cost is not problem. The sound of a straight 4 is always tiring at motorway speed particualrly around 3000 rpm or so. The engine has poor primary balance, so vibration is ever present. The sound and vibration characteristics of a 6, 8, 12 cylinder engine are just much less tiring. I can happily do a 600 mile round trip in the Omega without feeling tired. I have yet to find a 4 pot motor that can manage this.

Chris[/quote']

I agree.

Had the MV6 before I bought the Fabia 2.0, and although the car I have is a comfortable car at motorway speeds, there is no other car that could match the level of comfort than the Omega. No BMW or Merc I've ever been in was as comfortable as the V6 Omega. At high speeds, it was pretty relaxing, and I wouldn't mind driving from Dubai to Abu Dhabi every few days for meetings...

Big engines rule.

That's what I heard and apparently Scooby use em because it's now a Scooby characterisitc/trade mark associated.

One things that puzzles me though...do the rally cars use the unequal length headers...I mean they have the burble...but surely they wouldn't want to be robbed of power purely for sound?

The WRC cars have equal length headers. If I had a Scoob, I'd fit them as I prefer the sound.

High cylinder count doesn't necessarily mean big CCs. Lots of companies make two litre straight and vee sixes. The Connaught Type-D marries an electric motor to a two litre V10.

Conversely, TVR make four litre straight sixes, and I believe that Ford make even bigger V6 engines.

My personal preference is for turbocharged V6 engines, and supercharged V8s. They just sound so cool.