MQB mark 3 Octavia estate weight

The VW group MQB platform is I understand used on the VW Golf and ? Passat and the mark 3 Octavia estate. All these vehicles are of a similar size but why does the Octavia weigh 1272kg, the Golf 1436 and the Passat approxomately 1500 kg?

If you tow a caravan the weight of the caravan should be 85% of the vehicles weight  - putting the Octavia at a disadvantage.

Any comments please  ...and is the 1.6 diesel Octavia estate not recommended for towing ? There are vey few used 2.0  mark 3 estates on the market.

John Fry

Welcome to the forum.

You are talking Kerb Weights,

and similar size and different trim and engines, wheels / tyres are enough to change weights by quite a bit.

If the Golf Estate & Passat are actually the same size but heavier, then maybe that is the better build,

Better Steel, thicker Glass & Paint,

but often it can be a Spare Wheel as Standard, some bits and pieces and soon it has added an extra 150-200 kg.

(and they are not the same size, sometimes they might be a ickle bit smaller and still heavier)

http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/skoda/octavia/kerb-weight

Edited by goneoffSKi

As above.....................look at the standard spec for these cars, also remember that on the estates you could have either twist beam or multilink rear suspension depending on golf or Octavia & trim spec..................Golfs have spare as standard so that ups the kerb weight.................

The VW group MQB platform is I understand used on the VW Golf and ? Passat and the mark 3 Octavia estate. All these vehicles are of a similar size but why does the Octavia weigh 1272kg, the Golf 1436 and the Passat approxomately 1500 kg?

If you tow a caravan the weight of the caravan should be 85% of the vehicles weight - putting the Octavia at a disadvantage.

Any comments please ...and is the 1.6 diesel Octavia estate not recommended for towing ? There are vey few used 2.0 mark 3 estates on the market.

John Fry

Did you compare the weight with the same engine and drivetrain?

My Octavia weighs about 1450kg.

• 3 months later...

I have been to a public weigh bridge (@ our local dump) where my (spec of) car is actually 1540kg. This was with approx 1/3 tank of fuel, me (62kg), a group 1 car seat, group 0 car seat plus DD2 (so this should equate to DH weight)Remember I also have pano roof, extra air bags and full size spare wheel. Car empty of all other junk I usually carry around with me

• Like 1

Kerb weight of my Octavia is 1480Kg, mind you it is a Scout 184 DSG! It would make a great Tow car, in fact it has just won it's category in the Tow Car of the Year competition.