Hello

This is my first post. I'm looking at getting a mk3 octavia se with the 1.4 tsi and the dsg.

Any views of this is a good move? Are the transmissions reliable now? Do they still need servicing every 4 years? And is the 1.4tsi also reliable?

I've been burnt by diesels in the past so I'm going back to the petrol way......

Many thanks and i look forward to your reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Got a 1.4 DSG hatchback in May and I have driven 8000 km. I came from a "Mazda 6 de" with lots of problems and I am very impressed. I just been on holyday in Italy and drove 4000 km through Europe.

It was perfect, lots of power no engine noise and the DSG was perfect. Driving around Italy I got 20 km/l and that's much for a petrol car of that size.

I am very pleased with it.

Downside: The roades in DK are not very good so the road noise can get a bit to much. As soon I got to Germany and down there was no noise at all. So if the roads are noisy in UK it could be an issue.

Welcome! Got mine last August with 10k miles on it, just gone over 20k. Servicing is every "30k kilometres", so 18k miles in our money. There is variable and fixed interval servicing, most in the UK are fixed, IIRC. Mine went to Mitchells a few weeks back for an 18k. if you're buying from them, they'll give you a good long test drive. They gave me the key and said come back in an hour or so.

Many, many posts on here and elsewhere about the reliability of the DSG box. IMHO they wouldn't have continued with it if it was a lemon.

I came from a 2.3t Saab 9-5, auto, petrol, with 220 bhp and 340 Nm, to 140 bhp/250 Nm. The 300 kg weight saving makes up for a big portion of the lower power. And the Octavia's giving me over 40 mpg,  driving the Saab the same way gave 25mpg. And the road tax is only £30.

Reliability? Well, even Rolls Royces break down.

Nearly forgot - I'm very happy with it.

Owned a 1.4 DSG estate for year and half, and done some 28000 km with it. In addition to occasional not so loud rattle from dashboard, no problems or service calls this far.

Given low weight of the car and adequately performant, low reving engine, smooth to drive. MPG from 47 to 51; most of my driving is ex-urban. I had concerns about the DSG as well, but now I wouldn't go back to manual. I haven't read about too many DSG problems with later production versions, so my hopes are that VAG got it sorted out. Bad things ?...the badge and not so exciting car :thumbdown: Time will tell about the reliability.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is actually a mk 2 Octavia so don't know how different the newer one is.

Had it just under 2 months, brilliant car, so much better than our old picasso.

Not used it with a full boot yet, but with 5 of us in the car, enough power to more than keep up with traffic with some in reserve. DSG box is fantastic, though I have already had to have the mechatronic unit replaced (under warranty fortunately) and the car has only done 23k, hope the new one lasts longer!

So far it has mostly done town driving and the trip computer is showing 44mpg, which even allowing some leeway on its accuracy has impressed me.

Great to see that pic Han2u, my first car was an old Skoda Estelle 120 LSE, absolutely loved it.

DSG is an acquired taste, the ones I've driven seem to hesitate at roundabouts and hunt around the gears a bit.

I wouldn't have one out of warranty as they dont seem very reliable.

Maybe stick with a torque converter auto, e.g. BMW Merc Honda etc.

Hi

Got a 1.4 DSG hatchback in May and I have driven 8000 km. I came from a "Mazda 6 de" with lots of problems and I am very impressed. I just been on holyday in Italy and drove 4000 km through Europe.

It was perfect, lots of power no engine noise and the DSG was perfect. Driving around Italy I got 20 km/l and that's much for a petrol car of that size.

I am very pleased with it.

Downside: The roades in DK are not very good so the road noise can get a bit to much. As soon I got to Germany and down there was no noise at all. So if the roads are noisy in UK it could be an issue.

Same experiences with 1.4 TSI DSG Combi from April 2015 when driving 4600 km in Germany and France (now 8000 km). The ACC was excellent, just easy driving in every occasion, automatic stop when needed. DSG worked very well, soft changes all the time. Not driving fast, the max speed was about 170 km/h.

We have roads like the fellower skandinavians. Octy is little noisy at home, but very silent in good condition roads.

The previous was 1.2 TSI DSG Yeti (MY2012), it was a really drinker above 120 km/h speeds, you almost can hear the petrol flowing. Not any problems with it in 3 years and 41000 km.

Edited by Grumpy Finn

You might already have purchased but if not I have an Octy 3 with 1.4TSi & DSG which replaced the same Octy 2 spec and after 4 years with the Octy 2 and 2 years with this one I would never entertain a manual again. You do have to get used to the DSG but once done so I have had no problems.Smooth changes and never any lag pulling away. I average about 45mpg, although I don't have a heavy right foot. My only proviso has been I took out extended warranty as repairs if they break down are pricey.Personal opinion at the end of the day - go and do a good test drive and see for yourself.