Best value handling mods - VRS

My VRS is in the garage having its bearings looked at, so this morning I drove the Mrs (my old) '03 plate Fiesta to work.

I'd forgotten just how well that thing handled. It's got virtually no power, but I'd feel confident throwing it at a bend at 80 that I'd probably only feel safe doing at 65 in the Fabia.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it just seems balanced and responsive, whereas the VRS feels very front heavy and slow to respond.

Now I understand the big diesel lump up front doesn't help matters, and i'd still much rather drive the Fabia, but it got me thinking what could be done to improve things....

So, what would your guys 'must-have' handling upgrades be, that are the best value for money?

I don't want it lowered, as I've got a thing about cars being standard, but anything that isn't immediately visible I'd go for.

Done a search and it seems anti-roll bars are recommended, but I'm not even sure what they do!?

Cheers Skodogs.

I know what you mean, the handling as standard is pretty poor on the vRS. I had an old Fiesta Mk5 Zetec-S for one of my early cars and that thing was so much fun throwing it round the back roads. 

Bushes, bushes and more bushes! - The front console bushes are the main ones but I'd be tempted to do the smaller front wishbone ones and the rear beam too. 
Rear anti-roll bar is also a worthwhile mod, it pretty much eliminates that lurch/lunge feeling you get entering corners and helps to make the car feel more planted. 

You could then also look at the powerflex engine bush, this reduces the engine rocking back and forth under acceleration and helps with traction and getting the power down. But it can add a few more vibrations into the cabin at idle so it may not be for you depending on how much it would bother you. Heard mixed reports some people don't notice it while it drives others mad lol. 

After that sadly you're looking at a shock/spring set which nearly always involve some sort of drop. For me I'd probably go with Bilstein B4 dampers and Eibach springs on a 25mm drop to keep it pracitcal for daily use. 

My VRS is in the garage having its bearings looked at, so this morning I drove the Mrs (my old) '03 plate Fiesta to work.

I'd forgotten just how well that thing handled. It's got virtually no power, but I'd feel confident throwing it at a bend at 80 that I'd probably only feel safe doing at 65 in the Fabia.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it just seems balanced and responsive, whereas the VRS feels very front heavy and slow to respond.

Now I understand the big diesel lump up front doesn't help matters, and i'd still much rather drive the Fabia, but it got me thinking what could be done to improve things....

So, what would your guys 'must-have' handling upgrades be, that are the best value for money?

I don't want it lowered, as I've got a thing about cars being standard, but anything that isn't immediately visible I'd go for.

Done a search and it seems anti-roll bars are recommended, but I'm not even sure what they do!?

Cheers Skodogs.

The VRS is a boat as standard, sits way to high up. Lower it and put a RARB on it, map it for more poke and job done

Cheers for the input.

So RARB seems to be pretty much unanimously agreed on, and then replace some bushes.

Mat - not keen on any further vibrations in the cabin, so will probably leave the engine mounts for now, but cheers for the reply. Don't suppose you know of a multipack of premium upgraded bushes that cover every joint?

I'll start with that and see how much of a difference it makes. Then if harder/lower is the only other option we'll see.

Cheers minters.

To be fair the main ones are the front wishbone console bushes, the smaller front wishbone bushes (I'd probably change the ball joint too when the wishbones are off so everything is new) and then the rear ones are just two in the beam. Google PSB Bushes, they are pretty good value. 

I think those combined with a good rarb will do wonders for the handling without having to lower it. 

Also don't overlook the importance of a good set of tyres all round and keeping them at the right pressure, I usually run a couple of PSI over the book figure as I find this works best. Some tyres have soft side walls which do nothing for the turn in feel, so running slightly higher pressure helps combat the issue but I wouldn't go more than 3-4psi over. I run 35 front and 32-33 rear (Book is 31-32 front and 29-30 rear for normal loads) and I find this works best for the current tyres but you can always experiment to see what works best. 

diff is also a great help front and rear anti roll bars decent suspension set up and stiffer bushes also u'll need around 2k for those mods alone depends how much you love the car and if u intend on keeping it

I love the old girl to bits; been washing and waxing it since about 7:30 this morning! And plan to keep it for about 3 years.

£2k is considerably more than I was looking to spend.

RARB, upgrade the bushes, and get 4 decent tyres is the plan and see how it feels after that. I don't need it to be a Lotus Elise, but just to provide a bit more confidence when throwing it around. Most of the time it sits at 70 on the motorway - which is why I bought it in the first place; decent economy, with enough poke to overtake. Just want to make it that bit better for the occasional B road adventure.

Thanks again for all the input.

Should be a nice improvement with bushes, rarb and good tyres. If that's not enough then perhaps look at the Bilstein B4 dampers and Eibach springs combo I mentioned above, doesn't drop it stupidly low and you'll still get decent ride comfort. 

IMO you should do the springs and dampers too. The standard stuff just doesn't feel "taut". RARB is a good start but choose a stiff one with "floppy ears" standard suspension and you could meet a hedge going backwards at speed.