Conspicuous Dash Cams and wiring Power Magic Pro

I just bought a  BlackVue DR3500-FHD with the GPS Module and the Power Magic Pro, but only just realised quite how conspicious it is. Do you guys leave it in the car when parked? I don't want to get broken into again. Now I'm regretting this buy and wishing I read up more and bought a Mobius.

My plan was to put this in the front and get something cheaper as a rear cam (I got rearended at some traffic lights, third party's insurance was denying liability, my insurance said that initially I would lose my NCB to repair and then they would chase up TPI for payment. I was going to go ahead, but my renewal was coming up in a month and I didn't want to lose NCB. Given the damage was only to the plastic rear bumper and the underlying structure was okay according to two bodyworks people, I just let it be). If I had a rear cam, they couldn't have denied and my claim would have been much easier.

On another note, I was going to wire the Power Magic Pro by piggybacking existing fuses, but it already has two fuse plugs wired up. Would there be free 'BATT +' and 'ACC +' in the fuse box to tap in to?

Thanks for the detailed reply, Mike.

Your set up looks great! Does the Mobius record on loop and only save if there's impact, or it's continuously recording? Two Mobii would have been cheaper than what I bought :/

Any suggestion on which mini fuse slots I should tap into since there's no accessory position?

Many thanks,

F

It'll depend what options your car has to which fuse locations are free.

I found an unused switched fuse by using a multimeter when I fitted my mobius. I believe the three I marked on the picture were switched for my car.

post-121621-0-06495300-1436906800_thumb.jpg

If you need a hand round Cambridge just let me know.

It'll depend what options your car has to which fuse locations are free.

I found an unused switched fuse by using a multimeter when I fitted my mobius. I believe the three I marked on the picture were switched for my car.

attachicon.gifIMG_20141016_170521_2.jpg

If you need a hand round Cambridge just let me know.

Thanks, langers. I'll have a play around with my multimeter and see. If I get stuck, I'll take you up on your offer!

The Mobius does record on loop, but a quick press of one of the buttons saves a 5 minute segment, plenty of time to actually get to the rear one to save. 

Within the fusebox are some empty slots, with only a powered input. A spade connector to one of these that is ignition live powers my USB dropper.

On a secondary note, I have the two Mobius cameras in the estate, and a front facing Mobius in the hatchback (rear one is next on the agenda) and have found them absolutely first rate as far as reliability and recording quality. Here is an example of the Mobius' forward facing cam's footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n69wy0u4eY

And the rear cam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbvVluY6tsQ

Mike

Urgh, I think I made the wrong choice ;/

I'll fit the Blackvue and try it for a couple of weeks. I will probably end up selling it and getting a Mobius.

I always thought the Blackvue looked very discreet.  Those things of Mike's stick out like the proverbials.

My daughter asked me yesterday what i'd do if somebody tried to steal my camera.  I replied, "who'd want to steel a cheap ebay dash cam?"  I'm probably too trusting.

I have one of these

GT680W-Black.jpg

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

Very much a personal choice this one, but I went for BlackVue's front & rear. The performance has been faultless and, as for being discrete, they're no worse than anything else, & much better than many. To cap off, picture quality is very good. :thumbup:

Edited by ProfesorDeBuceo

The Mobius does record on loop, but a quick press of one of the buttons saves a 5 minute segment, plenty of time to actually get to the rear one to save. 

I use a 32Gb card and have set the segment length to 10 minutes. Each segment gives a file size of 1.09Gb so I get the last 4 hours or so available anyway if I forget to press a button to protect the last segment.

I can thoroughly recommend this camera and the supporting set-up software which is updated regularly.

• Like 1

If I go for the two Mobii option, is there some sort of magic box which integrates both feeds, or are they essentially independent of each other?

Very much a personal choice this one, but I went for BlackVue's front & rear. The performance has been faultless and, as for being discrete, they're no worse than anything else, & much better than many. To cap off, picture quality is very good. :thumbup:

No doubt the picture quality is great, and the GPS dongle with the Power Magic Pro device are added bonuses. I'm just scared I will get broken into again...I do often leave my car in some less than savory areas sometimes. Maybe I am just being overly cautious after having been broken into and lightning won't strike twice. The mobius looks the size of a matchbox....whereas the 3500 is quite more substantial.

I'd rather have my Mobius in the back window, mounted like I have got it now, than a much larger camera dangling down on a large sucker on the window. I got rid of my window mount of the Mobius for this very reason. From inside, all you can see is a tiny square at the top of the window in the mirror.

attachicon.gifDSCN0257.JPG

Mike

Mike, I love the way you have mounted yours. Regardless of what I do for the front camera, I am definitely getting a Mobius for the rear. I may be able to tap into the Power Magic Pro to leave it running in some sort of park mode too. Do you have any advice in this regard?

I use a 32Gb card and have set the segment length to 10 minutes. Each segment gives a file size of 1.09Gb so I get the last 4 hours or so available anyway if I forget to press a button to protect the last segment.

I can thoroughly recommend this camera and the supporting set-up software which is updated regularly.

What is the story behind the Mobius? I can't find much on Wiki....just says it's sold in the UK direct from the manufacturers in China. But it's not some piece of Chinese tat, obviously.....

On another note, are there spare permanent lives in the VRS? Just to save me time exploring with a multimeter....otherwise I'll buy a few piggybacks. The previous owner of my 3500 already crimped on spades to the wires, but they're not piggybacks :/

What is the story behind the Mobius? I can't find much on Wiki....just says it's sold in the UK direct from the manufacturers in China. But it's not some piece of Chinese tat, obviously.....

Here is the back story on the Möbius and there is a Tab for the camera.

https://www.joovuu.com/gb/content/4-about-us

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

No doubt the picture quality is great, and the GPS dongle with the Power Magic Pro device are added bonuses. I'm just scared I will get broken into again...I do often leave my car in some less than savory areas sometimes. Maybe I am just being overly cautious after having been broken into and lightning won't strike twice. The mobius looks the size of a matchbox....whereas the 3500 is quite more substantial.

Yes built-in GPS is handy but I don't have the Power Magic, they're fed directly from the fuse box. Whatever you put on the screen is going to be seen & if you're in an area where that's a problem, well, there's not much you can do about it. BlackVues are certainly not big, & are smaller than lots of cams, & being cylindrical blend nicely with the surroundings. I've never had the "oh look, dash cams!", not until I've pointed them out anyway, at which point it's more like "nice & discrete".

Like I said, personal choice, & I'm happy with mine. :happy:

BTW, no need for any extras to power, just connect to spare fuse.

Edited by ProfesorDeBuceo

No magic box as such, all I use is a single 12 volt to 5 volt USB dropper with two outlets. Each camera uses one outlet. Cheap enough on ebay. The one I got isn't available any more, but this is something equivalent.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boat-Car-3-1A-Dual-USB-Socket-Charger-Power-Adapter-Blue-LED-Pour-For-Cellphones-/181784912912pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2a5339a410

So one unit to wire up, then long USB cables to the cameras.

Mike

EDIT:- found the unit I have:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Double-2-USB-DC-DC-Car-Converter-Module-12V-To-5V-3A-15W-Power-Adapter-/391095264619?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b0f18256b

Thanks, Mike. Just bought that from your link. So long USB trailing all the way back to the back, instead of tapping into some wires at the rear? Sounds easy enough! (I just bought a used Mobius for £40 for the rear). Thanks a lot :)

Yes built-in GPS is handy but I don't have the Power Magic, they're fed directly from the fuse box. Whatever you put on the screen is going to be seen & if you're in an area where that's a problem, well, there's not much you can do about it. BlackVues are certainly not big, & are smaller than lots of cams, & being cylindrical blend nicely with the surroundings. I've never had the "oh look, dash cams!", not until I've pointed them out anyway, at which point it's more like "nice & discrete".

Like I said, personal choice, & I'm happy with mine. :happy:

BTW, no need for any extras to power, just connect to spare fuse.

Thanks for that! I'll sort my set up out over the next week when I have some spare time.

• 2 months later...

Thats amazing, thank you so much! I will do that. Unfortunately I've been too busy to actually fit everything together...hoping for some time in the next month. You have been most helpful, I will keep you posted.