Projector Headlamps with DE Module?

Just been looking at Skoda website at the Roomster section. Firend of mine had looked for the £9995 offer but said he couldn't find it and sure enough it's gone, poor him and lucky me.

I started looking at specs for the Roomster and noticed Projector Headlamps with DE Module, ok I understand the projector bit cos I've got them but what is a DE Module?

D E is dreiachsiger ellipsoid (in german) meaning triaxial ellipsoid. It is to do with the type of reflector used in the lens construction. A projector HID lens uses a poly ellipsoid construction. To the best of my knowledge it is regarding the mirrored surface of the reflector in the lens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope you're not under the impression that these are projector headlamps with the small lenses like HIDs have.

They're not.

They will be normal headlamps with the reflector behind the bulb.

The Yeti specs say the SE has the projector with DE lamps and they are just normal as above.

If you're asking me if I think the projectors have HID bulbs behind them then the answer is no, I understand the difference between the lenses and the bulbs used. The same DE reflector module is used in a reflector and projector setup where halogen bulbs are fitted. The module changes when HID bulbs are fitted, to to the poly ellipsoid module behind a projector lens.

Yeah in the bumf it does say halogen and looking at my headlamps the projector lens will be the buble part.

So basically the DE bit is basically marketing making it sound really good LoL

• Like 1

Dual elipsoid lamps give the look of a narrower beam pattern when looking at the lamp but 9/10 gives a better light at night

Without starting a war on here

usually when you have de lamps you can usually get a better pattern and less glare when fitting hids if fitted properly

Mine also has the DE and I have fitted hid with no adjustment required. I wasn't aware they gave the look of a narrower beam pattern.

If HID are factory fit then afaik they use a poly ellipsoid unit.

I think most standard units now, wether it be reflector or projector use a DE module.

No war started ;)

Incoming............ Boom!

Have to say I can't say that I've seen HIDs fitted to this type of lamp but I really hate after market HIDs as a rule. Even factory fitted tend to dazzle me. I was told that factory fitted hids need headlamp washers and even by an mot tester they needed auto height adjusting too for when the vehicle has more load? Was also told by same tester that after market hids are an mot fail too. No idea of the truth I just know that the majority of the time I get dazzled by them.

HID's fitted beginning of year, not cheap ones. MOT was done Wednesday, nothing said at all. Even when I have my racing equipment in the back, I've not had a single flash from anyone . Just my take on things.  :coffee:

Which type of lamp are you referring to? I would always say never fit HID in a reflector unit due to scatter. Behind a projector lens is best, obviously OEM is gold standard. Very briefly on MOT (lots said about this previously) after market doesn't constitute a fail unless they are defective. Washers and levellers where present must function correctly, if they aren't there they can't be tested. They must be present if OEM but not if retro fitted.

Poorly fitted cheap Chinese upgrades can be shocking and inconsistent but a decent upgrade down well should be fine.

Which type of lamp are you referring to? I would always say never fit HID in a reflector unit due to scatter. Behind a projector lens is best, obviously OEM is gold standard. Very briefly on MOT (lots said about this previously) after market doesn't constitute a fail unless they are defective. Washers and levellers where present must function correctly, if they aren't there they can't be tested. They must be present if OEM but not if retro fitted.

Poorly fitted cheap Chinese upgrades can be shocking and inconsistent but a decent upgrade down well should be fine.

+1 never been flashed on mine even followed police down country lanes with no street lights and had no issues

90%of hid issues dazzling is STD reflectors or even worse the old h4 style bulb (3pin main and dipped in one bulb)

A few firms offer a h7r bulb for non projector lamps which apparently blocks off the o/s of the bulb to reduce dazzle

Re mot test generally they check the pattern and operation not what is fitted

I tried the H7R kit, absolute trash and it was from a decent UK supplier. I used the same kit in my Clio sport, Megane WSR, focus and now fabia but with the standard bulb in a projector housing and I've had no problems. I absolutely love my HID upgrade, first thing I do to any car I own.

Some interesting answers there. What difference do you actually notice?

Do the replacement bulb and balast cause any canbus errors?

And lastly a link to a known good type.

Difference between standard and HID. Only one way to describe it......its like night and day! No pun intended.

The light from HID is more customisable regarding colour, most seem to go with either 5000k or 6000k, the latter being slightly bluer but not like a chav! I have 6000k but will be going for 5000k next as there is more 'usable' light on the road. If you have the solenoid shutter system on your headlights, i.e. Single filament bulb for dipped and main beam then you can forget about flashing other drivers as the bulb does not heat up quick enough to flash if the dipped beam is not already lit.

No CANBUS errors on decent kits with decent ballasts. I bought from car mod shop, however the masses seem to prefer HID Direct. Their slim ballast 35w kits are well liked in a colour temp of your choice. It's an easy mod and cheap IMO given the benefits it gives.

An alternative is xenon bulbs like the OSRAM night breakers, you may want to try those?

Aye its a big improvement on unlit roads

So much so I generally don't need main beam

Re my earlier post I wasn't advocating using h7r kits simply stating they allegedly don't cause glare to other road users never seen them in action and certainly wouldn't fit hid to none projector lense vehicles but that's just my opinion

Any way back on topic

I went for the 5k kit from hid direct and found it easy to fit and high quality

Top tip innelmamm order the clips to secure the bulbs aswell think the cost a couple of quid

I also bought a set of genuine rear rubber covers so I can revert back to standard if I choose to sell the car later on and want to take the kit off

Plus order some decent side lights aswell may aswell change them.at the same time

I think jonro....innelmamm has the same limited se spec that I have so its seperate bulb for dipped and main beam

Malcster +1 to everything you have said.

I didn't think you were suggesting h7r as a good option, I waded in with my own experience lol

I would love the 'limited se spec' cluster, hate having the black pack and shutter system.

5000k is my preferred temp now but it's personal opinion.

Clips and rubber covers are a very good idea. Keeps things easy and reversible.

Side lights are a must, to colour match.

Pictures are somewhat deceiving.

Jon

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Some interesting ideas but I think for the moment Ill wait but very interesting just the same.

Mines the SE from the offer earlier this year so will that make mine seperate bulbs?

Some interesting ideas but I think for the moment Ill wait but very interesting just the same.

Mines the SE from the offer earlier this year so will that make mine seperate bulbs?

Yes its the same as mine

do it trust me with dark nights coming the roomster headlamps are woeful at best