Vrs under steer and door open light

Two totally different issues.

Looking for some advice chaps.

Firstly drivers door on my 03 VRS (hatch) doesn't trip the interior courtesy light.

many a time the Mrs left lights on as buzzer wouldn't tell when drivers door open.

Are there door pin switches on the vrs? Or is it in the door lock mechanism?

Next one handling.

I've recently swapped cars with my mrs who has had my old vrs for the last year or so.

Previously it had decent Pirelli rubber all round although the fronts worn out alarmingly quickly they had even wear but didn't last very long think the vrs is fairly cruel on front tyres.

Replaced them with budget esq harder brand wife didn't notice the difference but I'm not sure if that was a huge mistake. They are shocking front feels like it wants to under steer at even low speed turning.

Is the vrs that sensitive to crap tyres and front end grip? Not sure if I should be looking for worn suspension items or if it really is crap tyres.

Anyone else experience this? Also at speed even in a straight line it doesn't feel nowhere near as stable as I remember.

It was recently mot'd no advisories on any suspension items.

Tracking feels ok it drives straight just feels a bit washy.

Think I'll have a ganders next weekend at the drop links and bushes see if there's anything worn.

Although I can't hear any rattles or suspension knocking.

Probably just the crap tyres guess they don't call them ditch finders for a reason....

I just recently changed the tyres all round on my car.

It had nexens (fitted by previous owner) which weren't worn out but, were shocking in the wet and not the greatest in the dry either.

It understeered all the time in the wet without much provocation.

Replaced all of them with hankook v12 evo2s and what a transformation, much more grip, better feel on turn in, less noise and a more confidence inspiring drive.

Thoroughly recommended and only £66 a corner for 205/50/17s ;)

Edited by e30kev

**** tyres = **** grip on any car...

Decent shoes on her and itll instantly feel the better for it.

Issue 1,

Lock micro switch is in the mechanism.theres a pinned thread at top of forum on how to solve it.

Edited by mac11irl

If you don't fancy digging around and soldering switches get a used or pattern part lock mech. They're reasonable money.

As said above tyres make a world of difference. I ran Hankook on mine and had fresh EVO 2 on the front before the car slowly died and I liked them, good all round grip, economy and comfort. A little soft in the sidewalls perhaps but good value.

• Like 1

As said above tyres make a world of difference. I ran Hankook on mine and had fresh EVO 2 on the front before the car slowly died and I liked them, good all round grip, economy and comfort. A little soft in the sidewalls perhaps but good value.

I'd second the sidewall thing with the Hankooks.  My current tyres (Rainsport 3) are performing quite well and cope with the weight of a heavy engine, don't suffer from noticeable understeer and are wearing well considering they are putting over 280bhp through them.

I'd second the sidewall thing with the Hankooks.  My current tyres (Rainsport 3) are performing quite well and cope with the weight of a heavy engine, don't suffer from noticeable understeer and are wearing well considering they are putting over 280bhp through them.

Yeah people like those, I had some on a Toledo v5. I seemed to get through them quick but grip was excellent. I just had a pair of eagle f1s on the Saab and they seem very good.

My chinese lock arrived, once its in ill comment on quality and post the seller link :)

Got to say I've heard decent reports on them, as far as pattern parts go I believe they're pretty good. Get loads of grease on it before fitting and it should see you right.

• Like 1

Yeah, tbf i got a chinese drivers door window switch unit 2 1/2 yrs ago and its still perfect. Just watch the part number on that - the letter on the end refers to colour... mine turned out red where all other lights are green.. ahwell it was 10euro delivered! :D

Yeah, tbf i got a chinese drivers door window switch unit 2 1/2 yrs ago and its still perfect. Just watch the part number on that - the letter on the end refers to colour... mine turned out red where all other lights are green.. ahwell it was 10euro delivered! :D

I had that problem buying used ones...I do however have one available that lights up green if you're interested?  Its from a vrs so it's is the full panel of buttons with child window locks

Tbh its not bothered me for nearly 3yrs, and i doubt itll affect the trade in value :D anybody says anything its for night driving safety - red doesnt draw your attention like the green so it less distracting in the corner of your eye.... :p