Carista/Elm 327

I recently used a generic ELM327 Bluetooth adaptor off eBay, with the Android app, and it worked perfectly.

Although I'm an Apple fan myself, I was concerned that the iOS version was only v2.6 and the latest (beta) on Android was v3.10 so was guessing / hoping that it might have more features ..

One thing I was going to email the developer and ask was if I've purchased the Android version - would that also give me a full licence on the iOS version too? I doubt it, but it would be nice ..

I recently used a generic ELM327 Bluetooth adaptor off eBay, with the Android app, and it worked perfectly.

Although I'm an Apple fan myself, I was concerned that the iOS version was only v2.6 and the latest (beta) on Android was v3.10 so was guessing / hoping that it might have more features ..

One thing I was going to email the developer and ask was if I've purchased the Android version - would that also give me a full licence on the iOS version too? I doubt it, but it would be nice ..

The beta hasn't given me anything new worthwhile.  It gives the option to reset the service indicator, but at cost of £4+ each time.  No ta, I'll just live with the indicator.

In case  it helps anyone:

1) On their website http://www.caristaapp.com/hardware/ at the bottom of the page they say that dongles marked "V2.1 standard" usually don't work, you should get one that is at least v1.4 but not the cheap "v2.1" ones.

Their text in full:

Using the Carista app with other (generic) OBD devices

While we recommend the Carista OBD adapter, our app works fine with generic ELM327 devices too, as long as they properly comply with the ELM327 v1.4 standard (or newer). You need a Bluetooth ELM327 device for Android or a WiFi ELM327 device for iOS. Here are a few things to note, though:

• Many generic “ELM327” devices are fake/defective and don’t properly support the ELM327 v1.4 standard (especially ones that claim to be v2.1!). They may work fine for basic OBD2 stuff, but they do not support the manufacturer-specific communication that Carista performs.
  • “OBDLink” devices don’t support our customizations and advanced diagnostics because they use the older ELM327 v1.3 standard, whereas Carista needs at least v1.4.
  • Other proprietary devices don’t work either – because they’re proprietary and don’t allow standard ELM327 communication
  • USB or other wired devices are not supported. WiFi devices are not supported on Android, and generic Bluetooth devices are not supported on iOS.

2) For iPhone, I bought this one, and it works fine on my pre-FL MK2 Octavia and can do all customisations: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271929122634 It also works fine in my MK1 Fabia, although given how basic the MK1 Fabias are, they do not have any customisations, just code reading. It did not require the engine to be running on either car. The only disadvantage is that it's hard to pull out of the slot afterwards as it's small and the Octavia port has almost no space around it, it was easy on the Fabia though so this is more a complaint about the car than the reader.

Edited by wiredsoftware

• 1 year later...

Been interested in using a Dongle to view stats on an iPhone. Does anyone have any up to date links on one that works from eBay?