Columbus stereo +tv output

Hi,

I know you can play dvd's and video files on this unit but does anyone know how the tv function works?

Does it have its own function or connects to your mobile device and uses its internet connection? Didn't know whether it puts a tv app from your phone on the screen etc?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My columbus doesn't have a TV tuner function that I know of & there is no internet connectivity but it is a MIB1 from 2014.
Videos can be played when the vehicle is stationary from the DVD drive or USB/SD card slot.

The new Columbus (MIB2) supports WiFi screen sharing with apple & android I think (called SmartGate or SmartLink by Skoda - I can never understand the difference).

In theory you can share the screen of the unit & display a phone app (like google maps) on it.

However, I think your phone OS has to support this function & the app has to be designed to support it also so I'm not sure if the ITV app would work.

My columbus doesn't have a TV tuner function that I know of & there is no internet connectivity but it is a MIB1 from 2014.

Videos can be played when the vehicle is stationary from the DVD drive or USB/SD card slot.

The new Columbus (MIB2) supports WiFi screen sharing with apple & android I think (called SmartGate or SmartLink by Skoda - I can never understand the difference).

In theory you can share the screen of the unit & display a phone app (like google maps) on it.

However, I think your phone OS has to support this function & the app has to be designed to support it also so I'm not sure if the ITV app would work.

The requirements for Android Auto specifically prevent it from doing any "screenshare" type experiences. This is as defined so android is allowing you to spend more time looking at the road than fiddling with menus and buttons. Android auto tries to make everything voice activated and with voice outputs. As an example it will notify you of a text message and read it out to you, then allow you to reply back via voice to text but will not actually display it on screen as that would be dangerous.

For that reason it would not be possible to show things like it through AA.

The requirements for Android Auto specifically prevent it from doing any "screenshare" type experiences. This is as defined so android is allowing you to spend more time looking at the road than fiddling with menus and buttons. Android auto tries to make everything voice activated and with voice outputs. As an example it will notify you of a text message and read it out to you, then allow you to reply back via voice to text but will not actually display it on screen as that would be dangerous.

For that reason it would not be possible to show things like it through AA.

Interesting, so with this function in the MIB2 can you display Google maps or Nokia maps?

I was following the thread about activating this feature in older units & was willing to pay for it but I assumed I would be able to use GoogleMaps instead of paying for the Skoda Navigation updates after 3 years.

Yes you can do maps. I think apps are roughly set into these categories.

1. Google maps display on screen (maybe other navigation apps)

2. Music apps which allow big Button layout on unit to show data skip tracks etc. (Google music, spotify, pocket casts)

3. Messaging apps (not that many available as yet but for them to be approved will have to follow the AA guidelines I mentioned before)

Not many other apps as yet but I'm sure there will be more as it becomes more widely supported but don't expect the ability to just mirror a screen. Also when you plug in your phone you get a Android Auto splash screen which tried to prevent you from using it while it's connected to the head unit. Again to try and make you spend more time looking at the road and less time looking at your phone.