rapid hatch slow project

Copey

well after 17months of saying that the car is going to get modified the car is getting modified :)

the car as it is

20150621_114726_zpsqstyezqb.jpg

i have been for months looking for coilovers or even just lowering springs for the rapid and i was struggling, so i gave up....

untill the briskoda national when i was talking to shark, they said that it shares the same platform as the mk2 fabia.... search refreshed.

after about a month of searching and not finding items i liked my mate with a ibiza fr said his alloys and suspension is up for grabs and all the layout is the same setup :)

test fit of the wheels

20150801_143941_zpsuwg6bxg6.jpg

they look great on the car, should look better when i can have them on properly and have the suspension and lowering springs on,

but damn insurance making me wait :(

there is more to come :)

• Like 2

you can get:

-30mm springs from Eibach

http://eibach.com/m-global/en

or

-35mm from H&R

http://www.h-r.com/en/index.html

or 

-30 F and -40 R to level it more nicely from Lowtec

http://www.lowtec.de/en/

KW do coilovers, but I've bought several cars over the years that cost only half what a set of those are  :o

I've seen another brand of coilovers too possibly Eibach.

Edited by camelspyyder

I already have them sat in the shed waiting :) dont know where the springs are but they will lower the car around 60mm in total :D

There off the ibiza fr which is 15mm lower than mine standard form. Then 45mm lowering springs so should see 60mm :)

• Like 1

For info, this is the arch gap I got with Eibach lowering springs.  Roughly equal gap all round.

The -60mm version may lower it too much, unless you want it to look very lowered with the top of the tyre near the arch.

0zeh.jpg

Can you remember what the tyre sizes was on that richard?

215/35R18 I think.

Similar rolling radius to stock rims, so didn't fill the arches much more.

18s wow. I got 215/40R17 on the wheels ready to go on.

Good choice, the 18" rims give an overly firm ride on springs and 35 section tyres.

The 18" rims on the Roomster are only OK as it's got airbags, which do give a firm but slightly more compliant ride.

I think those rims you have look good on the Rapid.

Thanks richard :) i dont mind a firm ride as i liked the monte carlos stiffer setup. This is just like being on a boat i dont like it :(

• 3 weeks later...

progress! :)

finally got my suspension fitted and well it looks good i think :)

20150822_155831_zpsr6gvczpt.jpg

IMG-20150822-WA0000_zpsoszbudcc.jpg

a view from above

20150822_202134_zpsjm0zqmzo.jpg

carnt wait now to be able to get the wheels fitted but got to get the tracking sorted first :)

only scraped twice aswell on a drive which im quite happy with :)

Edited by Copey
  • Like 2

That is so good. It actually looks like those Skoda/SEAT publicity and Brochure photoshops where they make the wheels look big and hide the arch gaps.

Everyone who has those cruddy 15 inch supermarket trolley wheels on their rapid should see what you did.

Post those last two (or a before and after) in the Rapid thread - A pic of your car

Edited by camelspyyder

another update time....

went and waited for 2hours on friday to get my tracking done and was then asked to go back saturday morning

20150829_090445_zpsrljsxga6.jpg

i love how discrete my brisky sticker is above the plate :)

results

20150829_095917_zpscsa5af2m.jpg

and

20150830_165945_zps43cqbpm3.jpg

:( the barstools damaged my car :(

then saturday i planned to go leeds to see my mate with the ibiza but first got to try bps new car wash system :P

20150829_110855_zps2hfx5uwl.jpg

20150829_111005_zpswhtqcpxs.jpg

i like it :P

got up to my mates and i got a knocking noise on the back off the car which only happend on slightly bumpy roads, after looking at what we could without a jack everything seemed okay.

car made it back home faultless on the sunday untill 2 minutes from mine and the knocking came back grrrr :(

after many hours talking to jack (toxic) we thought it could be the rear struts and he found out which bolts they was for me so a trip to halfrauds :(

got the nuts, trolley jack and locktite for £33, win :)

jacked the car up and replaced the nuts and locktite them and knocking noise gone :D

cheers jack (Toxic)

so i treated the car to something shiny :)

20150902_160539_zpsu3bpeqp3.jpg

• Like 2

I have removed all the rear badges and I replaced the original with a black badge on the front. But after having fitted the splitter the car benefitted from having the original badge back on; it was just a bit too black at the front.

• 3 weeks later...

not really an update just for photos and yeah :D

last week went to the caslte combe show and decieded to have the 2nd session of J5

IMG_0531_zps8h0wjqzq.jpgoriginal_zpsu2e6

i was having that much fun in the first half of the session that i was keeping up with a mk1 octy vrs :)

12002334_530429630437510_831740519240242

although i have figured out that went i go over 90mph that the back end is shaking, going to get wheels balanced when i changed the last tyre,

then i need to save up for a bigger front brake kit....

first things though i need a new radio so hopefully in a few months i will have a new radio but this will slow down now for a while untill more pennies come in for her

• Like 2