Funny Idle problem

Hi everyone, i seem to have a problem with my monte carlos idle! Its a 12' plate and about to run out of warranty so i'm keen to see if its something i need to get fixed or something thats known to go wrong etc. It's the 1.6 tdi and when i am driving it feels like the idle is always a little high and the car pulls a little with no throttle which can be a little scary especially in slow traffic.......its my first diesel so the only way i can describe it is kinda like the old choke system you used to get in petrol cars......if the car is moving at all it does this in all gears and when i am slowing to a stop and have engaged the clutch the revs stay up at around the 1000rpm and then when the car comes to a complete stop they drop down to the normal 750rpm but only when the car is not moving whatsoever?!?!?!

Is this normal? anyone else have the same kind of issue???

Any any help appreciated thanks in advance

Hi everyone, i seem to have a problem with my monte carlos idle! Its a 12' plate and about to run out of warranty so i'm keen to see if its something i need to get fixed or something thats known to go wrong etc. It's the 1.6 tdi and when i am driving it feels like the idle is always a little high and the car pulls a little with no throttle which can be a little scary especially in slow traffic.......its my first diesel so the only way i can describe it is kinda like the old choke system you used to get in petrol cars......if the car is moving at all it does this in all gears and when i am slowing to a stop and have engaged the clutch the revs stay up at around the 1000rpm and then when the car comes to a complete stop they drop down to the normal 750rpm but only when the car is not moving whatsoever?!?!?!

Is this normal? anyone else have the same kind of issue???

Any any help appreciated thanks in advance

Hi Rickford

This sounds like a DPF regen, high idle is about 1000 rpm for me too. Also no matter how slowly my car moves as soon as it starts moving the revs automatically build up. Doesn't sound like a problem but if your concerned about this it's always worth a visit to Skoda before warranty ends to make sure.

Richard

Rickford 55

what you describe is quite normal for a 1.6 TDI. As soon as you move away, the idle speed increases. You can confirm this in the following way.

Stop on a convenient downhill slope.

Dont engage any gear or touch the throttle. Let off the handbrake and you will immediately notice an increase in revs. The car recognises road speed/movement and compensates accordingly. The set up is in effect an 'anti-stall' measure.

As to the other problem - keep in mind that the 1.6 TDI is very high geared - when you slow down and it feels that the car is overriding your instructions - you in fact are trying to slow the car below its natural engine speed. The answer is simple, drop down a gear!

On this occcasion your dealer and other sources has been truthful with you - your car is quite normal.