Joined the club

countryboy

But you can flick it down manually, like you can in a DSG car or most autos now, you can be in the right gear for what you plan to do.

At the end of the day, it is an auto. It cant predict what youre going to do next, or what the road is like ahead.

Exactly, the kickdown when I applied full throttle was straight away and with the system on the bike there is no loss of drive. Doing it manually, I just saw the opportunity coming before I pulled out, knocked it down a couple of gears, wound the throttle wide open and then let the gearbox sort itself out whilst I concentrated on the overtake. It isn't going to be the most sprightly of overtakes with only about 58bhp and a 6500 rpm rev limit on tap but you can still make decent progress and get past quite quickly.

Ian

• Like 1

And until it can, a manual box will always be better.

Said everybody about manual cars in the 80's.

Autos are the future now.

Have you ever been in a proper auto? DSG's are good, but the gearbox in the likes of a GTR is just off yhe scale. No manual change can match

• 3 weeks later...

The amount of time my DSG car changes gear at the wrong time is frustrating. No it doesn't know what the road conditions are but changing up 0.5 seconds before entering a corner and I accelerate so it bogs down a bit then changes again is bad. Very very lazy but nowhere near as good as a manual.

I don't want my bikes doing the same.

For little scooters or lazy commuters it's probably fine but not for litre plus machines, they don't need it. I know whether to be in 6th or 4th when I open the taps. And if it ever tried changing gears mid corner it could unsettle the balance and potentially take you off the thing.

The amount of time my DSG car changes gear at the wrong time is frustrating. No it doesn't know what the road conditions are but changing up 0.5 seconds before entering a corner and I accelerate so it bogs down a bit then changes again is bad. Very very lazy but nowhere near as good as a manual.

I don't want my bikes doing the same.

For little scooters or lazy commuters it's probably fine but not for litre plus machines, they don't need it. I know whether to be in 6th or 4th when I open the taps. And if it ever tried changing gears mid corner it could unsettle the balance and potentially take you off the thing.

Thats what the manual override is for (:

Itd have to be really horrific to make a VFR1200's v4 bog down lol.

Very opinionative

Some love em. No doubt theyre good to ride.

Not if the magazine road tests were owt to go by. Big, fat, ugly barge, with a silly gearbox. Edited by StripleR675

Plenty of owners like em, check the forums.

Can't be that many who like 'em, lol, they ain't exactly been a seller, and depreciate faster than a rocket powered cheetah on amphetamines falling off a cliff. I've only ever seen one on the road. It made my eyes bleed and my brain hurt, and I felt nauseous for a week, lol. Edited by StripleR675

Can't be that many who like 'em, they ain't exactly been a seller, and depreciate faster than a rocket powered cheetah falling off a cliff. I've only ever seen one on the road. It made my eyes bleed and my brain hurt, and I felt nauseous for a week, lol.

Ive seen quite a few. But then i do go to bike events n what not.

People like different things. Theres no right or wrong (:

Edit: yeah they dont sell too well, prices are low. But prices are low on the CBR1100xx too. What a bargain they are

Edited by fabiamk2SE

People like different things. Theres no right or wrong (:

Edit: yeah they dont sell too well, prices are low. But prices are low on the CBR1100xx too. What a bargain they are

They don't sell we'll because they're awful, lol. As far as the VFR's looks go, there's definitely right or wrong, and it's very, very wrong, lol.

If I had to have one or the other, I'd have the Blackbird any day of the week. Equally bland, but not offensively ugly like the VFR, and it has a proper gearbox.

They don't sell we'll because they're awful, lol. As far as the VFR's looks go, there's definitely right or wrong, and it's very, very wrong, lol.

If I had to have one or the other, I'd have the Blackbird any day of the week. Equally bland, but not offensively ugly like the VFR, and it has a proper gearbox.

The 1200 is available with a normal and DCT box yanno. Its not strictly DCT

The 1200 is available with a normal box

Great. It just needs chain drive, proper brakes, a complete restyle and a 70kg weight reduction and it could be a decent bike then, lol...

Edited by StripleR675

Great. It just needs chain drive, proper brakes, a complete restyle and a 70kg weight reduction and it could be a decent bike then, lol...

1. Shaft drive is a god send if youre doing decent miles. Especially in wet weather.. Which i wouldnt expect you to understand either lol.

2. Doubt you can tell the brakes are linked. You cant on my vfr. Most people cant. Only people who comment are the ones that are riding really hard on the track.

3. 270kg isnt light. But nore is any bike in the same class as the vfr12. Its a big bike at the end ot the day. With pretty big power to match. Like a k12s.

Again. The looks are marmite (:

1. Shaft drive is a god send if youre doing decent miles. Especially in wet weather.. Which i wouldnt expect you to understand either lol.

2. Doubt you can tell the brakes are linked. You cant on my vfr. Most people cant. Only people who comment are the ones that are riding really hard on the track.

3. 270kg isnt light. But nore is any bike in the same class as the vfr12. Its a big bike at the end ot the day. With pretty big power to match. Like a k12s.

Again. The looks are marmite (:

1. I used to do anything up to a thousand miles a week and have, I would be prepared to hazard a guess, ridden plenty more miles than you have, given that you can only have held a licence for five years at most. Never wanted shaft drive - the disadvantages far outweigh its one advantage.

2. I want to decide which brakes I use and when, not have Honda decide for me. And I like to do burnouts and childish skids - they amuse me. As for not noticing it, roadtests of Hondas combined braked bikes say different, and plenty of owners seem to agree, since unlinking them on pre-abs bikes is a popular mod.

3. No, 270kg isn't light. It's ridiculously, unnecessarily and unacceptably heavy. My Bandit weighs considerably less than that, and it has a steel cradle frame and an engine that's heavy enough to affect gravity, ffs. So what if it makes decent power, so do plenty of light bikes - bhp doesn't weigh kg. It would make a good boat anchor though, and then you wouldn't have to look at the offensive anesthetics either, lol.

Edited by StripleR675

We could go on like this for a good while.

But we have two different outlooks, we look for different things, and you dont accept any other view but your own 'in your face' version.

Which is fine. No prob. But we'll never get anywhere with it, so its the reason im stopping this conversation where it is (:

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Oh, I accept plenty of other views, I'm very open minded, but not ones where the VFR1200 is anything more than an overpriced, overweight and aesthetically horrific white elephant, lol. It's just a turkey. As for being "in your face", you're the one who keeps making the personal digs...

Here's a quick word from the VFR's stylist:

roses-are-black-stevie-wonder.jpeg

Edited by StripleR675