1.8 TSi Octavia Long service interval query

I bought a 61 plate Octavia 1.8 TSI petrol car in February this year. It was explained that it had a "long service interval"  which (from looking at the on board computer) I remembered would be about the end of August. The on board computer says now service in 18 days (2 years I think since its last service) or 3000 miles.

Now the MOT is due at the end of February, should I wait until then till I take it for a service and MOT? I am a pretty low user and have only done about 1,500 miles in the past 6 months (and don't envisage a significant change for the coming 6 months, and do have a bottle of the correct oil (VW 504 00) to keep the oil topped up.

Does anyone else have this long service interval and what would you do?

Thanks

Sorry, confused - you say it last had a service around 2 years ago and the onboard computer is specifying variable servicing requirement is due within 18 days time, but you want to leave it until next February instead? Why? Do you have some belief that it was actually serviced in February this year when you purchased it but the dealer forgot to reset the OBC?

Your own mileage since purchase is irrelevant, it is a time and distance requirement. Unless it was actually serviced in Feb 2015 then it desperately needs a service now. A 2 year interval is not a particularly healthy period for oil change in a turbo petrol, let alone leaving it longer - you really should get the oil replaced every 12 months, especially if you are going to be doing short journeys. By all means leave it on variable servicing, but do an interim oil change yourself half way through.

• Like 1

I would agree with the above.

I would definitely not leave it any longer, at the very least get an oil change done (under £50 if you do it yourself).

Mine is currently on variable servicing and saying 3000miles or 100-and-something days to next service but the MOT is due at the end of the month so getting it serviced at the same time and the schedule changed to annual/10000miles from there on.

1,500 miles in 6 months, 3,000 miles per year?

You really could do to come off the variable (long life) interval (up to 2 years or 20,000 miles) and change to the fixed service regime (12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever is reached first).

This ensures your car gets fresh oil at least once a year.

Book it in now for a service, and take it back in February next year when the MOT is due. I definitely would not be waiting until February to replace the oil - the life blood of the engine and turbo.

See here for what is replaced under either the long life (variable) or minor (fixed) services...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed/default

1,500 miles in 6 months, 3,000 miles per year?

You really could do to come off the variable (long life) interval (up to 2 years or 20,000 miles) and change to the fixed service regime (12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever is reached first).

This ensures your car gets fresh oil at least once a year.

Book it in now for a service, and take it back in February next year when the MOT is due. I definitely would not be waiting until February to replace the oil - the life blood of the engine and turbo.

See here for what is replaced under either the long life (variable) or minor (fixed) services...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed/default

+1 :sun:

Thanks for replies.  The consensus seems to be get it serviced soon.

Given that it is on a long service interval, which doesn't really fit in with my low annual mileage.  I would probably be best off getting it changed to a fixed, annual regime, how do I get it changed? Obviously a main dealer could do it, could an independent local garage? Do they use a different grade of oil?  I currently have a bottle of Motul 5w30 VW 00 504 / 00 507, as I like to keep some oil to top up if required.  Also if I get it done at an independent garage, do I need to say to use a certain standard of oil?

Thanks again

I do mine every 6K...Taking  no chances with this engine and the timing chain

£150 a year for 2 oil changes is a small price to pay

If asking (and paying) for a major service be sure you know what you are getting before handing over the keys.

It is common practice for dealers to charge the £259 for a major service but only carry out a minor service (oil and oil filter only), the reason is the extra items specified on the major service are only replaced if required - time and distance dependent.

If the car is a keeper then I'd be wiping the slate clean and starting from the beginning:

Oil and filter change and pollen filter (minor service) - £139

And then add the extra's from their menu price list...

Fuel filter (diesel) / spark plugs (petrol)

Air filter

Brake fluid

At my dealer this still works out less than the £259 major service.

The dealer will happily change you to fixed as it means they'll see you and your wallet more often.