5 year Service on 4x4 diesel

survey

Have been surprised at quoted cost of this service. Car has done 36K.

Major Service £259, Cambelt, tensioners and water pump £449, MOT £39, Haldex £60.  Any comments on this?

There is an offer at present from Skoda for cars over 3 years old. £378 for 1 major and 1 minor service, 1 MOT and 1 Brake fluid change. This would help reduce the first quote a bit if split over two years.

I would be prepared to go to an independent if I could find a good one in my area (Norfolk/Suffolk border).

Any advice? 

Edited by survey

I assume that on every major service the fuel and air filters are changed? Indeed just checked with dealer and these are included!

Is it worth going the independent route?

Edited by survey

I paid £445 plus VAT for my 5 year service at Sinclair Swansea. (Service, Cam belt, front pads, MOT) 

I didn't have the water pump changed as they were on back-order at the time.

My local independent garage refused to take on the job when I told him I wanted the cam belt changed, and when pushed quoted £750!!

• Like 1

I paid £445 plus VAT for my 5 year service at Sinclair Swansea. (Service, Cam belt, front pads, MOT) 

I didn't have the water pump changed as they were on back-order at the time.

My local independent garage refused to take on the job when I told him I wanted the cam belt changed, and when pushed quoted £750!!

Hi Llanigraham.  My quote included VAT but your service cost seems a better cost than my quote.  You would have to deduct the cost of the front pads on yours but add the water pump and haldex oil change

Survey,

That is why I go to Sinclair Skoda, and why they have such a good reputation!

Hi Graham

That seems remarkable value but cam belt without the water pump seem like a lost opportunity to save on potential further labour.

• Like 2

At the time I had the cambelt done there were no water pumps available across the whole VAG range. This was confirmed by friends with VW's and SEAT's and by a local garage, so it was not the dealer "trying it on".

A 5 year service is not the same as a 4 year service though.

5 year service is just an oil filter and inspection.

It depends upon the service schedule set up previously.  With ours, it had been on 2 year/20000miles but this is changed to annually.  Thus the first time for fuel & air filter changes etc.

At the time I had the cambelt done there were no water pumps available across the whole VAG range. This was confirmed by friends with VW's and SEAT's and by a local garage, so it was not the dealer "trying it on".

Interesting I had the same problem at the end of June, told it would be at least a four week wait as all water pumps were on back order throughout the group. Must chase the dealer as not heard from them yet. Rather unimpressed by the lack of supply resilience of a basic component.

Edited by jeep
  • Like 1