Knocking Sounds from Steering Rack on Pre FL

Hi All,

Experiencing some knocking everytime I come out of a parking space. Slightly turning right left or whatever is done. It started on the right side but now it is on the left side aswell. I have read some serious stories on Golf GTI sights where it mentions that it is the Steering Rack which might be the culprit.

I have changed all the bushes and what not in the front Axel. Tried different suspension including the original. Still the damn kncking metallish sound.

So basically is it the rack itself or could it hopefully be just the bushes of the rack itself?

Please help this is a daily runner and needs to do just that.

All info is greatly appreciated.

i am taxi driver and pick up many mechanics one who along with his father and brother own a VAG repair garage i just had him in the car  ,my octavia has been making knocking noises for a few weeks and my normal mechanic cant find anything amiss but this chap immediately said steering rack,He also said its a fairly common problem saying replacement with a genuine new part was eye watering at About £800 but aftermarket could be used from eurocarparts at £350 - £400 or secondhand at about £100

Thank you for that info. I was hoping this was not that issue but I had read some topics that where leading to it.

I will though still hope changing first the bearings on the shocks will do a difference, maybe later the steering rods and if after this I do no hear a difference then I guess a refurbished will have to do.

thank you all

Still at a loss - each time i ask a different opinion from mechanical folks i pick up (i am taxi driver) i get differing opinions even differing as to where noise is coming from some even suggest the rear end .I was considering changing front suspension top bearings in an attempt tonarrow things down. If it is steering rack can just rack ends be replaced ?

took car to kwik fit - they put it on the ramp that shakes the car violently and hey presto o/s drop link on anti roll bar goosed - both sides only fitted 12 months ago but i have done 35k miles ,They wanted £92 to fit new drop link and do wheel allignment i declined and went to TPS for genuine skoda part £32 even though oe quality parts are available widely at less than £12.Why would wheel allign need doing when changing a drop link ?

• 2 months later...

good for you David,

Unfortunately I have Changed every weak link in the front suspension and drop link, steering links, and all is new and installed the so called improved parts with urethane instead of the black rubber.

Latest was also that my tyre guy could not get it straighten out either. Camber was still about 1 degree wrong only on the left.

I am out of my wits with this and basically am learning to live with it.

I wish I have my Golf GTI 16v...life was so much easier as cars now are not here to last!

If somebody can think where this noise comes from and cana help please do.

Have you changed the strut top mounts?

Also seen another post on here today and it mentions that the subframe can be adjusted too.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Edited by J306TD

I had this exact issue on my pre-FL and I changed my steering rack, (it is possible to do it on a driveway) I managed to get a brand new genuine rack on eBay for £200 and with new track rod arms, ends and bolts it came to £300 all in.

• 3 months later...

Stubunce,

I still have the issue and basically am losing faith. Just a quicj question, when you had the issue did you feel anything wrong with the stertring at all? I mean, mine knocks but when driving it just goes away with no issues at all. I meana if it where to be a steering rack should it not showsomehow its loose or something. I mean I have learned to live (I do hate it) but it has not gone worse at all...

Therefore spending 300 Pounds is yet Another cost I would like to investigate but I have luterally exchanged the whole front suspension..... even trying some TT wishbones and all. Everytime I change something then I have to take a trip to the tyre shop for the Wheels to be facing forward.....about 100 euro a pop.

I anybody else have some input please assist.

Thanxs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

It seems at DavidBird hit it on the spot quite early so did stubunce when confirming that it seems to be the steering rack. The only definite way to know is when taking the whole thing off.

Everything else has been done...... :nerd:  :nerd:  :nerd:  :nerd:  :nerd:  :nerd:  :nerd:

At least my enthusiasm is coming back and so is the sun again we will have many future mailes together again....my Octi and I :x  :x

Cheers you all

Greetings

Ron

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

It seems at DavidBird hit it on the spot quite early so did stubunce when confirming that it seems to be the steering rack. The only definite way to know is when taking the whole thing off.

Everything else has been done...... :nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

At least my enthusiasm is coming back and so is the sun again we will have many future mailes together again....my Octi and I :x:x

Cheers you all

Greetings

Ron

With my rack it never knocked under driving conditions only when moving slowly or whilst stationary, I can only presume this has something to do with toe angles and loads under drive etc etc. The rack is a sealed unit and as long as you can put up with the noise and there's no play whilst driving then put up with it. I changed mine as it annoyed me and I'm pretty competent with the spanners and got a great deal on a Brand new old stock rack on eBay!

Stu

Stu,

Thanxs for the feedbackm we are on the same line there. I have noticed no lag or vibrating on the SR but for the safe sake and running out of loud music I will replace it.

Do you or anybody else know if there is a "better" SR out there than the original 1K1423051CD? I have seen that there are a whole bunch of different ones out there and I do this big job then I would prefer doing it right.

Cheers guys

Greetings Ron

• 4 weeks later...

ello guys i have exactly same problem,2.0tfsi same year as op's car, i have replaced EVERYTHING on front end to all upgraded and powerflexd parts, i only get the knocking when parking or stationary just like you guys, i am looking for the right priced rack as they are expensive but its got to be done ive lived with it for a while now and enough is enough hopefully get it done this week will do it myself so will report back once done. good look 

Joe  :coffee:  :coffee:  :coffee:

• 3 weeks later...

Jango as mentioned above I replaced the complete steering rack /servo item. Not cheap and the fitting either but worth every penny having my car back! Simply a joy to ride now with all the new bushes and everything else.

I used a used one as there good ones out there from breakers. Low mileage recommended but not guaranteed. 

stubunce

and 

davidbird

thanxs a bunch.....

on a Pre FL RS MODEL the part you need is 

061K1423051CD

or 

081K1423051CP

other heavier cars like TDI may have similar numbers but I do not know if would be 100% compatible

• Like 1