NC500 - Scotland's answer to Route 66

Baz66501

So, the other half and I have been thinking about a few days up in Scotland. Then she found this and our minds were set on an adventure... http://www.northcoast500.com/home.aspx

So, a couple of days toying with the idea and planning a route and we have booked a few different b&b's for the first weekend in October and will see how it works out. There are various mentions on the forum of some great places and scenery in the highlands so I thought I would share our plans with you.

Day 1: Ipswich - Tain via A14, A1, A9. Approx 600 miles

Day 2: Tain - Gairloch via John o Groats, Durness. Stoer approx 300 miles

Day 3: an extension to the route - Gairloch - Oban via Fearnmore, Applecross, Invergarry then instead of following the route back to the A835 we plan to travel south to the Kyle of Lochalsh then the A87 to Fort William and then on to Oban. Approx 220 miles

Day 4: Oban - Ipswich via Lochgilphead, A83, A82, M8, M74, M6, A66, A1, A14. Approx 575 miles.

Roughly a 1700 mile round trip in all. Looks great and I can't wait to see what the route has to offer.

If anyone can suggest any 'must sees' along the way, please feel free to let me know. Hopefully this will give the new vRS a good run out!

The next road trip is also planned for next June, Monaco and the Côte d'Azur. I think it's a bug!

Day 3 and 4 will be long days as well. These are not roads where you can sit at a constant 50-60 mph. There is still a lot of holiday traffic and presumably you'll want to stop for meals, views, etc. If you can average 40 mph while driving you'll be doing well.

Thanks for the replies gents. I had assumed around 8 hours driving for day 2 and 7 hours for day 3 plus stopping time. Day 1 and day 4 look to be 10+ hours. Would have liked to allow an extra day in the highlands but work constrains won't allow!

I think Day 1 is underestimated!

I'm in Livingston, from here Hull was 7 hours, you're a fair bit  South of that, and Tain is a good 6 hours North of me! 6 hours with no stops. For that distance from the Central Belt I would normally allow 7 hours or more to reach Tain

Good luck, your tain time from Newcastle is less than I can do it from the Edinburgh area. Remember all the way to Inverness you have 60mph average speed cameras

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Well average speed cameras for 60 mph on the Single Carriageway sections of which there are many, 

but you are not on 60mph Average Cameras on the Dual Carriageway sections in a car.

Not that you are likely to get an average much above 55 mph from Perth to Inverness on the A9.

You can find rather nicer routes than those in the link which are tourist routes with tourist route issues.

Maybe have a look at the Thread down the page, 

Fettercairn - Banchory and those roads to get across Deeside and the Cairngorms towards Grantown on Spey 

and to the Moray Firth.

Maybe even going over the A93 & Glenshee to Braemar.

I can do Newcastle from Ipswich in under 5 hours, thinking Tain is another 6 from there. I am an early bird so will probably hit the road at 4am.

Most of the A1 from Newcastle to Edinburgh, and North of Inverness, is 2 lane; expect 40mph trucks, and tractors at half that.

I usually allow 2 1/2 hrs to just do Perth to Inverness.

You have to slow down fro the ave speed cameras. Although they are on single carriageway sections & not the dual bits I think they still take you time over the length of the a9.........Well put it this way I don't trust them & set the cruise control!

Just done google maps Ipswich/Tain, 10hrs 57mins with no traffic is the fastest!.............................I think you need a rethink!

• Like 2

Yes, only 70 if there's a central reservation even if there is 2 lanes! Several like that round here too!

With regards to the trip up, timing isn't as critical. If I leave at 4am, I would like to think I can be in Tain for tea time! I'll have to invest in a she-wee for the Mrs to cut down the stops! Can get the hammer down as far as Newcastle then take it how it comes I guess!

I appreciate the heads up and advise!

Edited by Baz66501

A fair few i hear make the mistake of thinking the Crawler Lane Sections are Dual Carriageway & NSL. (Doh.)

That is where i got my last points and fine pre Average Cameras going live.

http://a9road.info/safety-statistics/speed-limit-information

I see loads of people wiz by me on the crawler lanes.....................must be thinking the same as you did.....................however the big give away is the lack of NSL signs on entry & 60mph signs on exit.......................

Actually you are on a NSL road,

which is 60mph so no need for a sign for that,   as you are on a NSL road which is 60 mph.

If you are on a NSL / 60 as you enter then it is NSL / 60 on Exit and no Variation in Speed,

Speed Signs are to show Variation fron National Speed Limit which is why they argue the A9 has not been given 'Speed Signs' for its whole length.

(but then i actually know i was above the limit just before i even reached that. Hence Guilty as summonsed.)

Offence in October, no Inverness Court until February because they bundled so many cases for all coming up as the 

whole set up Road & Court wise was a mess and many many prosecutions did not proceed, or were defended.)

& since you drive the road all year day and night you will know that the signs were down and covered last year as the Cameras were being installed before the system ever went live as you come up to Drumochter pass from the North.

& Special Attention was being given by Police Scotland to certain sections.

(i even knew that 'Doh', but early morning i was just silly.)

Actually you are on a NSL road,

which is 60mph so no need for a sign for that,   as you are on a NSL road which is 60 mph.

If you are on a NSL / 60 as you enter then it is NSL / 60 on Exit and no Variation in Speed,

Speed Signs are to show Variation fron National Speed Limit which is why they argue the A9 has not been given 'Speed Signs' for its whole length.

(but then i actually know i was above the limit just before i even reached that. Hence Guilty as summonsed.)

Offence in October, no Inverness Court until February because they bundled so many cases for all coming up as the 

whole set up Road & Court wise was a mess and many many prosecutions did not proceed, or were defended.)

& since you drive the road all year day and night you will know that the signs were down and covered last year as the Cameras were being installed before the system ever went live as you come up to Drumochter pass from the North.

& Special Attention was being given by Police Scotland to certain sections.

(i even knew that 'Doh', but early morning i was just silly.)

errr?????

I was pointing out that people why speed on the crawler lanes like you who thought they could go faster because they thought it was a dual carriageway. I then point out  "however the big give away is the lack of NSL signs on entry & 60mph signs on exit......................."

Go read your highway code & pay attention please.

On the entry to a dual carriageway from the single carriageway, you will have a new speed sign, either an NSL sign (white circle with black strip through) which is 70mph for cars, or lower if designated. On the exit of the dual carriageway when it goes back to the single carriageway, you have a 60mph sign, or the speed designated for the new section you have joined. (aware that not all entries to dual carriageways have the NSL sign but simply state "Dual carriageway" which unless otherwise stated is 70mph for cars).

Crawler lanes do not have this which is why loads of people get done on them, they don't know the highway code....................even without the signs I have never treated a crawler lane as a faster stretch of road, & TBO I can't remember the signs being covered, (cameras were which caused problems & some were & some were not & the system was off) but then I know the road & know the limits automatically when on the road................

Edited by fabdavrav

either way the OP hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of achieving the times he originally posted. Like I said before it took me 7 hours to get from Central Belt to Hull, and 12 hours to get from here to Portsmouth. Norwich to Tain in around the same time is not likely

It is as well to remember that in Scotland signs of many kinds, Speed Limits, warning signs & may other kinds may not be covered because they are not there.

That is not just on little back roads, it happens on pretty major routes and even trunk roads.

They are cut off at the foot by a Cutting Wheels, as are Snow Pole roadside markers very often, 

by enterprising people that sell scrap and travel around in Vans and trucks that says 'Motorway Maintenance' or the likes on them and they are often actually people who maybe offer to Pave or Tarmacadam your Driveway.

(not saying the are 'Three Fellers'. That is racist, and Travellers should not take the blame either!!!)

There are some very interesting routes with views in the hills and glens with Crossroads and junctions where it is fun for someone to turn the signs around.

I had a nice trip once in the middle of Fife which was about 6 miles until i was back where i had been 6 miles before.

I see plenty on roads i know where the turned around signs will give drivers, cyclists etc an interesting Mystery Tour.

• Like 1

We will wait and see. The 1st day isn't the important one for me. Plus, I did say 10+ hours so surely can't be wrong with that one! :p Thanks for the heads up on road signs too, that would certainly make it more interesting! Any more input on the second and third days? They are then ones that I don't know, haven't ever beer past Newcastle. I get a nose bleed going that far north, being a southerner and all!

This gives a good idea of up above Inverness.  (top of Mainland UK heading south.)

& it is a big big area, and beautiful.

I am most familiar with Torridon & my favourite Shieldaig.

Lots of fuel needed. Carry a couple of 10 litre cans of fuel if you want total piece of mind.

There are Filling Stations obviously, but for those that run 99 ron Superunleaded it is good to have a couple of hundred miles extra range.

Personally for the money it is going to cost you i would not head north of Inverness for your first trip.

There is so much to see and do from entering Scotland and the Borders, 

heading to the West Coast or the East before ever getting to the Central Belt and the line from Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Then the East Coast & Fife, and up towards Perth / Aberdeen and the Grampians / Cairngorms,

or from North from Glasgow / West Coast, or to the Trossachs, Rannoch Moor / Glencoe area.

There is so much between the Border with England an Inverness / Moray Firth.

http://wildaboutscotland.com/2014/05/15/top-10-scenic-roads-in-scotland

http://perthshirebigtreecountry.co.uk

http://coastandcountryhotels.com

Stirling, (Trossachs) Aberfoyle, Dukes Pass, (3 Lochs Dukes Pass Drive, Forestry Commission)

Loch Katrine,

http://lochkatrine.com

Callander, Lochearnhead, Lix Toll, Killin / Falls of Dochart, Loch Tay, GLEN LYON / Ben Lawers, Kenmore  Aberfeldy, (Crieff, Gleneagles, Perth ) or Grantully, Logierait, to Dunkeld/Birnam, or North to Pitlochry /Blair Atholl / House of Bruar,

over to Glenshee from Pilochry,

http://ski-glenshee.co.uk Braemar, Balmoral, Ballater, Lecht, http://lecht.co.uk

Tomintoul, Grantown on Spey, Carrbridge, Aviemore,

http://cairngormmountain.org

Kingussie, Laggan, ('Monarch of the Glen' Location for filming.) Spean Bridge, Fort William,

http://nevisrange.co.uk

**Glenfinnan, Silver Sands of Morar, Mallaig, Ardnamurchan, Corran Ferry,(10 minutes) **

Glencoe or Oban, Rest & Be Thankful or Lochgilphead, Arrochar, Loch Lomond, Drymen, Campsie Fells. etc etc 

So Stirling or to Perth & Circular or through routes crossing Drove Road routes, but south of Inverness on wonderful roads with Views,

More reasonable B&B's or Hotels available in many cases.

• 2 weeks later...