Reducing wheel hop

Looks like a novel way of supporting the bush but I've always found it was the rear bush on the lower front control arms that gave wheel hop due to its high compliance design. Changing it to a urethane bush stopped wheel hop but does make road surface faults feel more noticeable

Its technically known as axle tramping. It tends to aflict lighter, reasonable output front wheel drive cars in dryer conditions...basically the tyres lose grip under heavy acceleration but gain purchase momentarily and grip is overcome again....causes a hopping action which makes it feel as though the front end of the car is bouncing on the tarmac (and also likely going to break something..though it wont).

Its very noticeable on the more powerful diesel Octavias and the vRS TSI because they are both v light (for what they are) and output some pretty heady torque.

Interestingly the Golf GTD's ESC system now employs some form of anti tramping capability....I guess it does it somehow in conjunction with XDS+ but no sign of it being on the GTI not sure why.

It works too.....have had a few severe pullaways in my Mk7 GTD and it hasnt tramped once....same actions in my Octavia 150 TDI would see tramping.

My tsi vrs will do it in the dry when pulling away hard or if I hit an undulation in the road whilst accelerating hard. Obviously this is not during normal driving though. My previous Passat B6 used to do it too. If I keep the car I do plan to fit uprated track control arm bushes and these engine one inserts look good too. However the new superb looms too tempting

XDS may complicate matters by braking the slipping wheel, exaggerating or perhaps even inducing the bucking. Until now I thought XDS caused most of the hopping/bucking because symptoms are reduced when TCS is turned off. The wheels still spin, but there is less bite-spin-bite-spin during hard acceleration.

Edited by Orville

On the MkII, I distinctly remember the positive effect of Whiteline Anti Lift Kit which solved the issue, allowing for more effective starts from a standstill, together with increased steering precision.

• Like 1

Tried to look at that site but my security system blocked the site due to warnings over malware ets etc on the site!..........

So what was the mod to do ??

Basically its an insert that fills the voids in the stock engine mount to take away some of the movement in the bush making it less compliant. Probably a half way point between standard soft bush and a zingy urethane one

Similar to the insert in this photo

http://goapr.com.au/products/engine_mount_insert2.jpg

And I can tell you now that solid urethane engine mounts can't be horrible on a road car, would be interesting to see how these perform

Edited by V6Jules

Forgot to add that making one engine mount more rigid can put more stress on the other mounts. Not looked at the VAG ones but when we fitted a urethane lower mount to my wife's saxo vts it broke the top oil dampened engine mount

Forgot to add that making one engine mount more rigid can put more stress on the other mounts. Not looked at the VAG ones but when we fitted a urethane lower mount to my wife's saxo vts it broke the top oil dampened engine mount

That's a good point that you have made, but I think that through the mk5-7 range I've personal not read of this happening, but that doesn't mean that it's not worth looking into.

Most discussions seem to be on petrol cars due to unpleasant vibrations on the diesel models...

My last car was a golf mk4 vr6 with solid engine mounts, no cats and no silencers. On rock solid springs and dampers.

At the end of its life it developed a misfire when cold, it was fun.

Vibrations don't really bother me. What does bother me is feeling the engine flopping around on the standard mounts. And that god awful wheel hop.

Basically its an insert that fills the voids in the stock engine mount to take away some of the movement in the bush making it less compliant. Probably a half way point between standard soft bush and a zingy urethane one

Similar to the insert in this photo

http://goapr.com.au/products/engine_mount_insert2.jpg

And I can tell you now that solid urethane engine mounts can't be horrible on a road car, would be interesting to see how these perform

Thanks,

TBO I fitted a superpro lower dogbone mount to my MK1 Fabia & that made it very slightly "fizz" at idle on the steering wheel, ok to live with. However I hate inserts & would get the VWR complete lower dogbone mount for the MQB platform!!

• Like 1

Thanks,

TBO I fitted a superpro lower dogbone mount to my MK1 Fabia & that made it very slightly "fizz" at idle on the steering wheel, ok to live with. However I hate inserts & would get the VWR complete lower dogbone mount for the MQB platform!!

I could live with that. The saxo used to sing so bad you couldn't use the mirrors! Was horrible to cruise around in but when flat out it felt great and so connected. I'm not finding the octy too bad at the mo but like you I'd rather change the whole mount for a proper one if I felt the need