fmic what is the way to go? both connections/inlets on the same side or one on each side ?

im wondering about fitting a fmic on my octavia vrs -2002

and im wondering what is the best alternative and best for the price

there is a kit on ebay that has all the piping and clamps and  the intercooler, toyosports is the brand

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FMIC-AUDI-A3-SKODA-OCTAVIA-VRS-1-8T-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-KIT-IC5009-5583-/400154478306?hash=item5d2b10c6e2&vxp=mtr

and there is a company here in sweden that sells intercoolers and other performance stuff

and they have intercoolers that have the connections/inlets on the same side and also  intercoolers  that have connections/inlets on each side  but they dont sell a piping kit so if you buy there you have to make the piping your self

the intercooler that have the connections /inlets on the same side cost 1345 sek= 102,5gbp

and the one that has connection/inlets on each side cost 1095 sek= 83,41 gbp

and im also wondering when it comes to intercoolers is it always the best to get the biggest intercooler with the biggest connections/inlets and piping ???

or is it sometimes better to get an ic thats not the biggest one  with smaller connections/inlets and piping??

Edited by rsdanne

If you're not running more power than standard, an arch liner mod will achieve pretty much all an FMIC will in terms of charge cooling, for the price of a louvre vent from a DIY store. Cut a hole in the RH arch liner, and put the vent over it to protect the SMIC from flying stones. Also, you won't have to build pressure in the extra intercooler and pipe volume, so you won't get turbo lag.

If you are running more power/boost, it's probably easier to fit a side-flow FMIC than a cross-flow, because the compressor output and the plenum chamber intake are on the same (RH) side of the engine. Bigger pipes probably still aren't necessary unless you have a bigger plenum chamber, because the restriction is the smallest point in the pipework. That's basically how "turbo restrictors" in motorsport work.

If you're not running more power than standard, an arch liner mod will achieve pretty much all an FMIC will in terms of charge cooling, for the price of a louvre vent from a DIY store. Cut a hole in the RH arch liner, and put the vent over it to protect the SMIC from flying stones. Also, you won't have to build pressure in the extra intercooler and pipe volume, so you won't get turbo lag.

If you are running more power/boost, it's probably easier to fit a side-flow FMIC than a cross-flow, because the compressor output and the plenum chamber intake are on the same (RH) side of the engine. Bigger pipes probably still aren't necessary unless you have a bigger plenum chamber, because the restriction is the smallest point in the pipework. That's basically how "turbo restrictors" in motorsport work.

okeej man thanks for your answer :)

right now  the car has original boost but im going to test my civinco piggyback again soon then it has 1,25bar boost and about 225hp and 338nm

my car has a 2,5" exhaust from the cat and back

and i plan to get a 3" downpipe with race cat aswell and join it to my catback system

You'd probably be ok running standard diameter intercooler pipework, and might not need an FMIC unless racing or rallying.

You could fit a crossflow, but need a new throttle body to connect to the pipe that's now coming round the LH of the engine.

You'd probably be ok running standard diameter intercooler pipework, and might not need an FMIC unless racing or rallying.

You could fit a crossflow, but need a new throttle body to connect to the pipe that's now coming round the LH of the engine.

okej why do i need another throttlebody??

seen alot of people that buy the ebay kits  and they fit with the original throttlebody ??

but as you said earlier i think it would be easier to fit the side mount fmic

isn't it more likely that the pipe work would have to 180(?) back on itself to the throttle body or you move the throttle body to the other side by way of a different (225?) inlet manifold?

yeah i guess it would do a 180 turn from the intercooler to the throttlebody kind of

here is some pics of  one that looks like the ebay  kit i found on google

im just curious what would be the best intercooler for the octavia vrs this one?

or the one that has the connections/inlets on the same side and messures 600x300x76 core size

Edited by rsdanne

If you not going to fit a Twin pass FMIC, like the one used with the Forge kit, look into fitting the BAM intake manifold and using some of the parts such as the Boost pressure sensor pipe.  Its a cleaner install for FMIC setups in my opinion.

engine Bay

From what I've read you get best results from a 'wellycooler' type installation. Grab yourself a 600x300x76 intercooler off eBay. A couple of 76mm - 63mm reducers to take the pipework down to 63mm (optimum diameter unless you're running big power) and then figure the rest out from there! It's recommended to use silicone pipes rather than metal piping as although the metal is prettier, there would be far more joins (unless it's a custom made job) which means far more places for potential leaks. Try and keep 90 degree bends to a minimum as optimum flow is the name of the game.

Just seach 'wellycooler'. A couple of useful links below

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/wellycooler-fitting.150098/

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/287827-today-i-have-mostly-been-fitting-a-massive-welly-intercooler/

If your running standard power, i wouldnt go much bigger than 57mm/ 2 1/4".

okeej i guess im not running standard as i have a civinco piggyback system and a catback 2,5" exhaust so around  225 hp 338 nm for now

and i would like to increase to about 250 hp

• Like 1

okeej i guess im not running standard as i have a civinco piggyback system and a catback 2,5" exhaust so around 225 hp 338 nm for now

and i would like to increase to about 250 hp

Fair one.. 2.5" on cold side of intercooler then, 2 1/4" on hot side and a decent core should see you up to 250bhp easily. Bam inlet mani isn't too difficult and you can use some of the standard pipework on a custom fmic fit.