Red Diesel

HellFire

Completely illegal and wouldnt use it because of this but does red diesel perform in the same way normal diesel does i.e. in quality terms is it the same rating as ordinary diesel?

Also what penalties are there involved if you get caught?

Thanks, Chris.

I can't see it being anything other than a basic diesel , no additives etc. since its real purpose is to run in a Massey Ferguson at 2000rpm.

My father-in-law (who owns his own business repairing heavy machinery like earth movers/tractors etc. ) runs his own vehicles on std diesel. His stance is that you should keep red diesel for use in tractors etc as modern diesel engines don't take too kindly to the dye in red-diesel and its not worth the hassle to save a few quid. He heard a whisper that the 'motor industry' is thinking of putting a sensor in the tank that will not allow the engine to run if it detects the presence of the red dye.

I can't see it being anything other than a basic diesel , no additives etc. since its real purpose is to run in a Massey Ferguson at 2000rpm.

You are correct it doesn't have all the additives found in premium diesel.

We use red diesel a lot in the construction industry, for excavators, dumptrucks, cranes, generators, compressors etc.

Our plant is often technically more advanced and worth a lot more money than your typical diesel car ! Plus it often runs for 10 hours per day.

So red diesel can't be that bad !

I did read that the colour could be neutralised?

I assume it's at the same quality as supermarket fuels?

All forecourt diesel has to conform to a BS, be it supermarket fuel or "premium" branded fuel. I suspect Red Diesel is the minium to meet this requirement and then just the red dye added to mark it. I'm sure running it with Millers cetane booster or similar would bring it in line with supermarket or "premium" fuels :D

Chris

On it's own your performance will be lower as it is normally poorer quality than at the pumps, though your car will run on it problem free.

A better idea is to befriend a haulier and buy VAT-free diesel from them :D

I once ran my 1.9 SDI polo on it in France during a fuel crisis.

Yes, it does "stain" the clear plastic fuel lines slightly, but mine cleared out after a week of normal fuel - having said that, I did only have the coloured stuff in for about a week before it was all used up.

Performance-wise, the SDI went like a rocket with it in :rofl: but I don't think i'd want to try it on my current fabia considering it's a PD lump which has been rather fettled with :)

It's not likely that you'd get checked in a new-ish car.

Unless you live in Northern Ireland. Fuel laundering is rife over here. Fuel checks are pretty common and you usually see a load of cars parked up that the police have confiscated.

Last year I got stopped at a police fuel check. Once through it everyone put their foot down to make up for the delay thinking all the cops were busy checking fuel. Wrong, there was a speed trap about 1/2 mile up the road. It was situated just after the location of the car tax monitoring van. Do you believe all that within 1/2 mile. It was complete chaos.

• 1 month later...

i ran my ldv van on red with no problems also ran it on a 50% mix of cooking oil, it actually runs much quieter vith cooking oil.i have read that the low sulfur diesel at the pumps has 25% less lubricating properties than the diesel long ago thus shortening the life of your fuel pump .so run on red and save money the tax on fuel is way too much anyway .

have a mate who runs on red all the time with no probs ( he is a fork lift driver so he has easy access to it) I have used it with no probs at all

think there is more future in the vegtable oil though, there are numerous web sites that show you how to change vegi oil into something we can use and if you have access to a cash and carry you can get catering oil for 25p a litre

I have been running a diesel for 7 years now. I have down quite a few miles with work and have seen many Customs checkpoints around home (in Northern Ireland) but i have never been pulled over. Usually just taxi drivers at 1:00 in the morning or van drivers on the way home from work.

I wouldn't take the chance. Its ok if you are driving the motorway every day, then you have very little chance of being stopped, but if you travel country roads and especially near the Border then you are at risk.

Given that i now drive an Octavia there is an increased chance i get mistaken for a taxi and pulled over!!

JD

I believe the customs and excise have access to the record that show who buys red diesel.

If you could get hold of some then I reckon you'd get away with it. But like I say finding it and being untracable would be tricky, especially every week or so.

I believe the customs and excise have access to the record that show who buys red diesel.

If you could get hold of some then I reckon you'd get away with it. But like I say finding it and being untracable would be tricky' date=' especially every week or so.[/quote']

Unless you're a farmer/mates with a farmer/construction worker.

I used to look after some systems for a small oil distribution company. "Certain" agricultural customers had an arrangement whereby the diesel was delivered with the red dye in a separate container.

Also, getting the red colour out requires a pretty hefty filtration plant, usually using a big container of cat litter, which is then discarded, and is horribly toxic.

Phil

I have been running a diesel for 7 years now. I have down quite a few miles with work and have seen many Customs checkpoints around home (in Northern Ireland) but i have never been pulled over. Usually just taxi drivers at 1:00 in the morning or van drivers on the way home from work.

I wouldn't take the chance. Its ok if you are driving the motorway every day' date=' then you have very little chance of being stopped, but if you travel country roads and especially near the Border then you are at risk.

Given that i now drive an Octavia there is an increased chance i get mistaken for a taxi and pulled over!!

JD[/quote']

I've been pulled over and had my tank dipped in a Freelander TD4 and 2 Renault Meganes so it can happen to anyone. Thankfully I hadn't gone for the red stuff. Aparently it's quite difficult to get all traces of the red stuff out of your tank. They just impound your car on the spot as far as I know. Then you get it back subject to paying the