Wheel hub nut torque

Zider

I'm about to fix a leaking drum brake, so I will need to remove the wheel hub nut, and from what I can gather it's supposed to be fastened at "50 nm plus 45 degrees". 45 degrees of what, and where? I haven't found any clarifications anywhere! Also, how important is correct torque here? I'm assuming I can't just wing it? I have no torque tools, and I'm hoping to not spend too much on it, since I only need to use it this once (hopefully).

Edited by Zider

if you tighten the nut to 50nm then turn the bolt an extra 45 degrees (put the torque wrench in the 12 o'clock position and rotate round to between the 1 and the 2 o'clock position if that makes sense) then that will be torqued correctly. b&q do torque wrenches as a fair price I believe)

Firstly, I don't think it's necessary to remove the hub to change a wheel cylinder. I know this because I have changed one, but have never removed a rear hub.

Secondly, the tightening info you've quoted is for the front hub nuts, I think rears may be different. (70Nm then 30 degrees turn, apparently). Don't guess this without a torque wrench.

Lastly, the 45 degrees refers to an angle of turn, clockwise, after the initial torque. Picture a clock face with angles marked around it, instead of hours. 90 degrees would be at 3 o'clock, 45 degrees would be halfway between 1 and 2. Best not to use your torque wrench for this last part-turn; A long-handled breaker bar gives good control. 

Ohh I see.. In a video on youtube about fixing drum brakes he loosened the hub nut, I assumed that's how the drum was fastened.. Doh, then I wasted money on those sockets anyway.. :/

Edited by Zider