Universal Split CV Rubber Gaiters.

Anyone tried a universal split rubber cv gaiter and are they any good?

They have a tongue & groove design that you wrap around the shaft and glue together.

see link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350538957860?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLrGNU_t83Y

Edited by maverick54

I once used one of these many years ago and I didn't rate them at all.  Failed quite quickly afterwards too.  The stretchy ones are much better but the best ones are the ones that are the correct size and shape from a reputable manufacturer that you have to strip the drive shaft down to fit.

Thanks guys. Is it much of a strip down job to fit a proper boot to an Octavia? Notice a large splined nut on the font hub so will need to buy a socket to fit that. Anyone know the type/size please?

IMG_20150903_102525.jpg

Edited by maverick54

Dont fit one,they are rubbish,i only used to fit them to some french cars that you were not able to remove the cv joint as the driveshaft was a complete unit. Ive not needed to replace them on my mk2 octavia yet but it looks the same as the mk1 (i had to replace them on mine) so hub nut off,undo bottom ball joint,move caliper out of the way if req,pull driveshaft out of the hub,remove cv joint & old boot then refit etc.

Dont fit one,they are rubbish,i only used to fit them to some french cars that you were not able to remove the cv joint as the driveshaft was a complete unit. Ive not needed to replace them on my mk2 octavia yet but it looks the same as the mk1 (i had to replace them on mine) so hub nut off,undo bottom ball joint,move caliper out of the way if req,pull driveshaft out of the hub,remove cv joint & old boot then refit etc.

Is the cv joint fastened to the shaft with just the 1 circlip and is it much of a fiddle to remove, i.e. does it squeeze in or out for removal?

Thank you. I thought at first it was a special type of socket needed (perhaps a spline) but now believe its just a normal 12 point socket which I have.

Dismissed the idea of the split boot following the comments here and am now swaying towards either the stretch boot or the proper job which will come with a new bolt.

I'm guessing trying to get the joint off the shaft would be a nightmare in situ due to the circlip. Is the job normally done by removing the shaft from the gearbox all together and is there any loss of oil to worry about from the box?

Thanks for all the advice upto now.

Some models have a drive shaft flange which you bolt the driveshaft to, others are splined into the g/box so will lose oil when shaft is removed .

It is not a big problem getting the c/v joint off the driveshaft, as said before a tap with a hammer will usually free them. There is a shortage of space if the hub is not removed but it is possible without removing hub or shaft and its not really a big job.

here's a you tube video showing you how to remove driveshaft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_IvQqau72c

once off the car, the fun and games begin, it's a dirty job, so use rubber gloves.

it's easier if you have a vice to hold  the driveshaft in, while you remove the joint & clip etc

also make sure you use a vw/ skoda boot not a cheapy pattern boot. 

easy enough job though, as long as you don't mind getting your hands dirty   :D

Pretty useless as above. Last car I had a failed CV boot and found it quicker and easier to replace the drive shaft which wasn't a great deal more cost.

yes it's  easier to replace the whole driveshaft, as you don't need to dismantle the cv joint,

it's a  costly way to do it though,  vw complete driveshaft around  the £400 mark.

the cheap driveshafts you get on ebay are only £50 or so, complete rubbish, Chinese junk   :swear: