Light Assistant - where is the sensor installed?

mtl

On new Fabia 3 you can order package Light Assistant that has included the following functions:
- Coming/Leaving Home light

- Tunnel light

- automatic switch on dipped beams when dark

Here it costs only 30 EUR, so it is really a bargain compaired to Rain Light Assistant which costs 215 EUR and has also Rain Sensor and autodimm rearview mirror.

My question is which sensor does Light Assistant use?

With Rain Light Assistant you get rain-light sensor installed in the front window, with Light Assistant there is no sensor. I checked also in the instrument panel (for example Skoda Rapid has a small light sensor in the RPM meter) but there is no dot that would point there is a sensor installed.

On new Fabia 3 you can order package Light Assistant that has included the following functions:

- Coming/Leaving Home light

- Tunnel light

- automatic switch on dipped beams when dark

Here it costs only 30 EUR, so it is really a bargain compaired to Rain Light Assistant which costs 215 EUR and has also Rain Sensor and autodimm rearview mirror.

My question is which sensor does Light Assistant use?

With Rain Light Assistant you get rain-light sensor installed in the front window, with Light Assistant there is no sensor. I checked also in the instrument panel (for example Skoda Rapid has a small light sensor in the RPM meter) but there is no dot that would point there is a sensor installed.

On my Fabia, model style, light assistant are standard.

It came with the features that you describe.

I could control the light by covering a plastic square located center of the dashboard up against the windshield.

After retrofitted rain sensor, this sensor is no longer active.

There was no need to demount the sensor so I can not give you a part number, only the location.

• Like 1

Thx, this helped a lot.

But isn't that sensor used also for Climatronic? This would also explain why it is so cheap :).

I ordered Climatronic.

When I picked up the car, I could see that my model was fitted with a large rear view mirror - but the display model only had an ordinary rear view mirror.

The sensor for the Climatronic is located behind the mirror up against the windshield.

I suspect that the sensor on the instrument panel is for light assistant, only.

I would not have had the sensor on the dashboard if I had ordered the car with factory fitted rain sensor. In this case, rain and humidity sensor is the same sensor.

I would have thought the sensor behind the mirrir is for the Auto Dimming function of the mirror / light assist as it has to know when it's dark, so it can dim the mirror / put the lights on. The Fabia Auto Dimming Mirror doesn't have an On / off button like my Octavia. I might be wrong but if you look at the mirror you can see a slight blemish on the glass on the mirror itself, I would think this is the dimming sensor on the glass itself. The Climatronic sensor should either be on the dash or on the climate unit itself

Look at Page 68  ( English version ) of the Hand book 

I would have thought the sensor behind the mirrir is for the Auto Dimming function of the mirror / light assist as it has to know when it's dark, so it can dim the mirror / put the lights on. The Fabia Auto Dimming Mirror doesn't have an On / off button like my Octavia. I might be wrong but if you look at the mirror you can see a slight blemish on the glass on the mirror itself, I would think this is the dimming sensor on the glass itself. The Climatronic sensor should either be on the dash or on the climate unit itself

Look at Page 68  ( English version ) of the Hand book 

The sensor you're referring to is not the one controlling the headlights on the car.

It is true that there is a sensor in the rearview mirror, but it is only dimming the mirror.

The humidity sensor (P/N: 8U0 955 559) which controls the Climatronic - is placed in the base that holds the rearview mirror to the windshield.

A combined sensor (P/N: 5Q0 955 547 A) are installed if you have Rain sensor and Climatronic - The location is the same.

If you have only light assistant - The light sensor (P/N: Unknown) is located is in the middle of the dashboard up against the windshield, without touching the glass.

Edited by ME@DK
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered Climatronic.

When I picked up the car, I could see that my model was fitted with a large rear view mirror - but the display model only had an ordinary rear view mirror.

The sensor for the Climatronic is located behind the mirror up against the windshield.

I suspect that the sensor on the instrument panel is for light assistant, only.

I would not have had the sensor on the dashboard if I had ordered the car with factory fitted rain sensor. In this case, rain and humidity sensor is the same sensor.

Basic light assistant uses a sensor based on the dash where the solar sensor for the Climatronic unit would sit if fitted. I dont know if it uses the solar sensor as employed with the climate control or if it is some other piece of hardware that resides in the same place. It controls the lights and nothing else.

The top flight version uses a windscreen mounted rain/light sensor and comes with an auto dimming mirror.

I have a feeling that in order to have the top flight version you have to have climatronic fitted and vice versa, if you gave climatronic fitted the rain light sensor is a requisite.....reason being is that the bracket for the rain light sensor also holds the humidity sensor for the climatronic (the mk2 only employed a solar sensor, the mk3 has both).

On the Octavia it is possible to have climatronic without light/rain sensor and auto dimming mirror...you get the same mounting bracket (to accomodate the humidity sensor) but no sensors and just a regular dip mirror.

On the Fabia they probably made the two options to be hand in hand to have having an additional parts set to accomodate either the climatronic or rain/light sensor.

Hope that makes sense.

Basic light assistant uses a sensor based on the dash where the solar sensor for the Climatronic unit would sit if fitted. I dont know if it uses the solar sensor as employed with the climate control or if it is some other piece of hardware that resides in the same place. It controls the lights and nothing else.

The top flight version uses a windscreen mounted rain/light sensor and comes with an auto dimming mirror.

I have a feeling that in order to have the top flight version you have to have climatronic fitted and vice versa, if you gave climatronic fitted the rain light sensor is a requisite.....reason being is that the bracket for the rain light sensor also holds the humidity sensor for the climatronic (the mk2 only employed a solar sensor, the mk3 has both).

On the Octavia it is possible to have climatronic without light/rain sensor and auto dimming mirror...you get the same mounting bracket (to accomodate the humidity sensor) but no sensors and just a regular dip mirror.

On the Fabia they probably made the two options to be hand in hand to have having an additional parts set to accomodate either the climatronic or rain/light sensor.

Hope that makes sense.

If I'm understanding correctly - I've got the "top flight" version of sensor/mirror with no Climatronic.

Have both Light and Wiper assist, which seems to automatically include the auto-dim mirror.  Have the manual Aircon. The sensor housing does have slots in it which I guess would be where the humidity sensor would be for the Climatronic. (But that's a guess! )

What is the location of that sensor you speak of on the dash. My old Passat (which had 1999 Climatronic) had a oblong light sensor on the middle of the dash. On the Fabia - is it where the square piece of plastic is in the centre of the dash where it slopes downward, right at the windscreen ?

Hope that makes sense.

If I'm understanding correctly - I've got the "top flight" version of sensor/mirror with no Climatronic.

Have both Light and Wiper assist, which seems to automatically include the auto-dim mirror.  Have the manual Aircon. The sensor housing does have slots in it which I guess would be where the humidity sensor would be for the Climatronic. (But that's a guess! )

What is the location of that sensor you speak of on the dash. My old Passat (which had 1999 Climatronic) had a oblong light sensor on the middle of the dash. On the Fabia - is it where the square piece of plastic is in the centre of the dash where it slopes downward, right at the windscreen ?

Please read my reply to Auric Goldfinger

The location of the sensors and what functions they have, should be clarified.

We agree on most things.

Related to Fabia mk3

If you have all three systems, Light Assistant, Climatronic and rain sensor, only one unit is fitted with all three functions. (P / N: 5Q0 955 547 A) And it is located in the base of the rearview mirror. This device is not related to the actual mirror.

The three systems, Light Assistant, Climatronic and Rain sensor are independent of each other and can all be ordered separately.

Auto dimming rear view mirror can also be ordered separately. However, it is included when ordering either Climatronic, rain sensor, or both.

It is not included when ordering only Light Assistant.

>>Dithane. Yes, the light sensor is the square piece of plastic.

It does not seem that they have chosen to use a sensor for both light and rain - Although I do believe that you can get it. However, you have no advantage of this.

I changed my own from the humidity sensor (P/N: 8U0 955 559) to the light / rain / humidity sensor (P/N: 5Q0 955 547 A) - That way I got rain sensor. See the topic, VCDS tweks for Fabia.

Edited by ME@DK
  • Like 2

I changed my own from the humidity sensor to the light / rain / humidity sensor (P/N: 5Q0 955 547 A) - That way I got rain sensor. See the topic, VCDS tweks for Fabia.

Can you tell me how much you paid the above sensor you fitted Please      ( if you don't mind me asking )

Thanks

AG

Can you tell me how much you paid the above sensor you fitted Please      ( if you don't mind me asking )

Thanks

AG

A quick search on Ebay. With shipping around 55-60 EUR

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic but after just buying my wife a new Skoda Fabia Mk3 without automatic light sensor I searched online and found that the part no. for just the automatic lights sensor is: 6V0907451A. Hope it helps anyone who will want to do only a minor retrofit.

Selection_20170530	.jpeg

Edited by sebidraghici