Cost of fitting extras to non new car -( I want the touchscreen radio!)

I have a fabia for the weekend while my car is in getting an issue fixed under warranty.
The fabia has the touchscreen interface and its awesome. for the ability to control songs on the phone (back and forward, pause etc) and ease of using the phone its a winner for me.

Anyone any idea of how much it would cost to have that fitted to a car that came without it?

i bought VW RNS 315 (with BT and RVC.....as i was unable to find Amundsen+ at that time) for 275€, microphone for 30€ and gps antenna for 10€. HU are essentially the same, apart from button illumination (red vs green) and startup logo (vw vs skoda)

i had originally Swing radio in my car.

check here what will fit in you car http://www.skodacommunity.de/threads/oem-radio-navi-fse-mdi-im-fabia-5j-roomster-rapid-octavia-2-yeti-superb-ii-nachruesten.88413/ (oem)

Edited by dukedl

Well, you can source a Amundsen sat nav unit for the rapid for £250 and up on eBay. Fitting is just an issue of time and patience as it's largely plug-and-play (the only fiddly bit will be installing the GPS antenna). The superior Columbus nav unit can be sourced for about £500 and up.

If you don't want GPS, there's always the option of fitting a Bolero (touch screen, but no nav). That would be a straight swap, will probably take you 10 minutes to do (unbolt the Swing, unplug the Quadlock connector and Fakra aerial connector, reconnect to the Bolero and bolt it into place.

You might need some VCDS coding to get the nav working, but I think the Bolero should be a straight swap.

• Like 1

Does the parking sensors still work with that one?

Yes - even has the visual radar display.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

but... this auction doesn't say about navi operating system, what processor and memory installed...

Can be very old version...

For that price, as long as it works it doesn't really matter - maps are unlikely to be any more out of date than VWs. Suspect it's using iGo Primo, that was most other Xtrons units use.

Bloody hell looks very good for the price ...so tempted

My only concern is how it will play (if at all) with the factory-fitted Bluetooth in my car. My concern is that even with the Swing head unit removed, the phone controls on the steering wheel will still talk to the VW BT module rather than control the phone functions of the Xtrons unit. I've reached out to them to see if they can provide any insight.

The Xtrons unit has a facia-mounted mic, which is just as well as I don't think tapping into the mic in the overhead light cluster will be easy (or clean).

My only concern is how it will play (if at all) with the factory-fitted Bluetooth in my car. My concern is that even with the Swing head unit removed, the phone controls on the steering wheel will still talk to the VW BT module rather than control the phone functions of the Xtrons unit.

You've got 2 options.

First:

Disconnect (unpair) your phone with Skoda BT and pair it with Xtrons unit. If CAN reader works correctly you can operate Xtrons unit by steering wheel buttons...

Second:

Do not pair your phone with Xtrons unit. Use just Skoda BT... but... "phone" input signal goes on CAN... and if CAN reader can see it all will work... If not you can try to connect wire from Skoda BT ("mute") with "phone" input on Xtrons HU...

Edit:

In this HU wire "phone" doesn't exist...

I hope so it's clear explanation... :)

btw. Where is BT module?

Edited by 67igor1

My only concern is how it will play (if at all) with the factory-fitted Bluetooth in my car. My concern is that even with the Swing head unit removed, the phone controls on the steering wheel will still talk to the VW BT module rather than control the phone functions of the Xtrons unit. I've reached out to them to see if they can provide any insight.

The Xtrons unit has a facia-mounted mic, which is just as well as I don't think tapping into the mic in the overhead light cluster will be easy (or clean).

when you thinking about getting one if you do let me know how you get on please..

Anybody got any positive reviews of these far eastern cheapies?

Not for this specific model, but several members over on the Rover 75 & ZT club have fitted double din Xtrons units and spoken well of them.

At £200 it is a punt.

Ah but 200 quid would get a quality Japanese DAB/Mp3/CD (my Pioneer 9500 was £100 on a special at halfords) and a top brand Satnav.

it is a bit of a punt to spend the same on a brand X all-in-one.

Mind you I would say the Pioneer 9500 and the Navman Tourer we have are together better than my Amundsen+ too.

Edited by camelspyyder

Ah but 200 quid would get a quality Japanese DAB/Mp3/CD (my Pioneer 9500 was £100 on a special at halfords) and a top brand Satnav.

it is a bit of a punt to spend the same on a brand X all-in-one.

Mind you I would say the Pioneer 9500 and the Navman Tourer we have are together better than my Amundsen+ too.

If it wasn't for the reversing sensors, then a nice single-din unit would be worthwhile. A Kenwood KDC-BT43U costs £100, has full Bluetooth streaming support including control and info, great handsfree phone, USB, CD player and a good radio. They even do a DAB version now for a bit more. However, really don't want to lose that reversing sensor radar display.

Also, cost of decent standalone nav is on the up. I've been deeply underwhelmed with the £120 Garmin 2569 LMT-D I bought last year (the actual nav bit is OK, but Garmin introduced a major software bug back in April that broke the traffic service, and nearly 6 months of going round in circles with their useless support people has achieved nothing in terms of a fix). In comparison, a new TomTom Go Live 5100 with built in GPRS and Tom-tom HD traffic will set you back about £250 at the moment. I would never have another Navman after the last one I had - buggy as hell, ended up returning it to Halfords after a painful trip to France with it. All credit to Halfords, they gave me a no-quibble refund.

So, on that basis, £200 is a tempting gamble, as I could spend more than that just on a nav.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/prod131138.html

Have you considered adding the Skoda/Garmin Move and Fun to the existing radio set up.

Has Nav, Bluetooth, Media streaming, rear Park sensor display and other stuff.

Have one in the Ibiza - I like it.

Edited by camelspyyder

Anybody got any positive reviews of these far eastern cheapies?

Me... :)

gallery_132577_1775_345120.jpg

but... it's old model. I don't have parking sensors... but I've got a rear view camera... :)

You can check Erisin:

- windows unit (wince6.0) for £ 130 + P&P

http://www.erisin.com/erisin-es8015v-vw-car-dvd-golf-cc-tiguan-sharan-eos-caddy-jetta-seat_p505.html

- android (4.4.2 for VW) £ 216 + P&P

http://www.erisin.com/erisin-es9405a-8-hd-android-442-car-dvd-gps-vw-passat-golf-touran-caddy-jetta-seat_p521.html

... a new TomTom Go Live 5100 with built in GPRS and Tom-tom HD traffic will set you back about £250 at the moment ... 

If you're interested I just bought one of these brand new from TomTom and it's cost me just under £150. If you ring TomTom CS and you have a TomTom account tied to an old product you can get them to knock 25% off the price. On top of that TomTom are doing a cashback deal on various models, the 5100 gets you £50 back. 

PM me if you want more information - mine's on the way but it's a steal for the price as it has the worldwide maps and built-in SIM card for traffic. 

Sorry igor, but apart from you I cant find hardly anyone who's happy with it.

because sellers don't put correct information like operating system, procesor speed or memory...

If you new that, you can find a good one :)

Edited by 67igor1