Can two abs sensors fail together?

Recently had the ABS and TCS (triangle with ! inside) light up. My fault code reader indicated both rhs abs sensors faulty (codes 285/287 if i remember correctly?). After a handful of ignition cycles the warning lights extinguished only to come on again several cycles later. The large fuses on top of the battery are ok and i've wd40'd the sensor connectors, but lights still on. Before i start ordering new sensors what is the likelihood of both failing simultaneously?    

Recently had the ABS and TCS (triangle with ! inside) light up. My fault code reader indicated both rhs abs sensors faulty (codes 285/287 if i remember correctly?). After a handful of ignition cycles the warning lights extinguished only to come on again several cycles later. The large fuses on top of the battery are ok and i've wd40'd the sensor connectors, but lights still on. Before i start ordering new sensors what is the likelihood of both failing simultaneously?

Possible but I'd check wiring faults etc, any live data you can check? Also I'd be checking each sensor for resistance as well as correct mounting and any damage to wires or body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since you have located the sensor connectors and removed/refitted them, why not disconnect them individually again and see what fault code is logged, clear the logged faults and the correct code should reappear immediately, then try that with just the other one, and again with both disconnected, really just to prove that what is happening is what is getting logged.

Some good pointers folks! 

Have checked the existing resistance on a new, unused sensor i have so will check the fitted ones to compare. Assuming they'll be good (almost invariably...) and the wiring to the abs ecu connector is good, is the remaining fault going to be likely the pump?  

Also the magnetic reluctor rings built into the hubs could be covered in crud, also they can develop "dead spots" & cause the sensor to so called "skip".................been there done that