MPG - first three tanks

Gaz

Tesco "Momentum" is also 99. But Tesco petrol stations are rarer than rocking horse manure.

That surprises me, although to be fair it's only coz our local Tesco has a petrol station, so I assumed they were all over the place. We've got at least half a dozen Tesco in Eastbourne.

Funny isn't it.  I've been driving 34 years, never had a problem with fuel and until I joined the first car club (ClubGTI) I dumped any old fuel in the tanks of my cars.  Now I've managed to delude myself into thinking 'must have 99 RON'.  Coz 1 or 2 RON is going to make such a difference to my life!  :dull:

Orville's charts are very interesting :thumbup: .  Reckon my experience is going to be broadly similar.

Gaz

Tesco 99 and Nitro+ likely originate from the very same refineries. The difference between them is additives.

I have never had any problems with Tesco, Shell, Asda, Esso etc fuels. I tend to use whichever garage is closest when the tank nears empty, and really cannot feel any difference.

An update as it was a nice day today, so after my bike ride I went out tats in the vRS for a proper drive.  Mix of roads and traffic and I got an altogether more sensible:

IMG_2188_zpssn3xwbil.jpg

I was going to hoof it on the way back to see what the difference was, but got stuck in the mother of all traffic jams coming in to Arundel  :dull:

Overall for 140 miles was 35.4 mpg.  I knocked about 5mpg off by being naughty down the Lewes by-pass.

Guess it's my crappy htw and wth journey's that are doing it in then.  Pretty sure the CRX is a better htwth car, so maybe I'll save the vRS for best  :sun:

Gaz

VRS TSI DSG Combi over last few months, nearly always premium unleaded.  Measured using brim-to-brim method:

best tank: 41.6 mpg

worst tank: 31.2 mpg

average over 8k miles: 35.05 mpg

Edited by Rob_FvRS
  • Like 1