Octavia vrs a good replacement for a fabia vrs?

Clunky23

Hi all, I am toying with the idea of swapping my 2005 55 reg fabia vrs with an octavia vrs. I need something bigger and it makes sense to look at an octy. Just wondering what people's experience of owning them is like? Are they comfortable? Good on fuel? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

I have just recently acquired my first octy VRS, I had a Fabia VRS a few years back.

The only differences I notice so far are

The boot is like narnia in the octavia, i bet i can get at least 4 dead bodies in there, and im getting between 20-30mpg from the 1.8t instead of 50-60mpg from the 1.9tdi. Also the octavia feels more planted than the fabia, probably because its heavier.

The front of the cabin doesn't feel any different between the two apart from the seats feeling more comfy in the octy, and i havent sat in the back yet, so cant comment on that space

• Like 1

I drove a friends Furbi standard Vrs during a lunchtime break, pick up from standing was as good as the Octy if not better.

However, going round tight bends etc i felt (because you seem to sit higher), that it could roll at any moment, but of course it didnt.

The Octy feels lower and more planted, you sit lower in it, the engine compartment is not so cramped for DIY, and its not a Diesel.

its one of the few cars ive driven that you can get out of refreshed and with no back pain. 

Would I change to a Furbi ?, no but, at the end of the day its all about personal preference and what YOU want from your transport. 

I swapped from an Octavia to a Fabia and it was the worst thing I ever did hence why the Fabia went and I got another Octavia. I never felt confident the Fabia would get me out of a corner alive and I was constantly having to drop the back seats down to carry any luggage. The only thing I liked about the Fabia was the fuel saving but then I don't need to use my car too much anyway as I have a company vehicle for work, so it's much better having the Octavia which is so much nicer to drive and far more practical.

Thanks for your comment, yep your right about personal preference. Just need something bigger, been looking at Saab 9-3, octy vrs, bmw tourers, Audi A4, Volvo v50, and loads more. Just can't decide what to get

If you do look at a SAAB, pick your model well, as the GM influence on the electrics can leave a bit to be desired on some of the models

I prefer my octavia over the fabia.

It's heavier, feels better built and just generally more solid. It reminds me a lot of a Honda prelude I used to own, that was heavier and felt better built / more solid!

I wouldn't say no to a fabia, but I prefer the layout of the octy and it feels soooooooooo good.

See I'm like this at the minute I'm thinking of going back to a pd150 instead of the 1.8t but I don't like how they handle or the power of them even after a remap I just can't run it on vpower atm but power seems down when I use normal fuel

I'm thinking of going Fabia vrs or Leon or Ibiza fr as I'm going to need more economy if I get this job I'm after. Previously owned the Octy which I liked very much. It is essentially a largeish hatchback (golf 4) made into a family sized car, so as said you won't gain much seat space and legroom over a furby but you do get the boot space. That said the octy will 'feel' bigger, stand and look from the outside and you see its all about the booty.

I found it to be pretty economical for a petrol averaging 33-35 round Wales, easy over 40 on a run. You may find Girardi's hypermiling thread an interesting read if that's what you're thinking about.

Saab have been mentioned, very good cars and definitely a sleeper if you pick wisely. The 2.2tdi and 2.3 are saabs own engine with timing chains and the high output turbo is a mitsubishi. My aero loves a drink but it's big in every way, hence the impending need for something economical, it's a fair old machine but to be honest I prefer the octy, similar performance (with remap), more fun, more economical. Quite a different car though, the 9-5 is a big old cruiser really, fast when you need it mind. The 9-3 is a nice compact saloon though.

Cheers for the input. I'm just so undecided, I've had a 9-3 1.9 tid 150bhp vector sport, it felt a bit odd to me. The octavia is ticking a lot of boxes as is a nice v6 4 motion mk 4 golf but that will be thirsty

The 2.3 v5 is nice, vw or seat, I had the high output Toledo, good all rounder, sounded nice too...If my next car is petrol I may go back to that engine. Performance very similar to the octy but it matters less what gear you're in, and the engine is less complicated and cluttered. I find them a nice compromise. Having been through what I have with cars lately I've been really missing it. Only issue I had in 2 years was coil pack and rear lambda.

Just the Toledo I think it was. Feels bigger inside than it is, very comfy, half leather with alacantra usually. Extras included sat nav built in and despite the small looking bootlid the boot was rather large. Vw it was the golf and bora, again either 150 or 170bhp options, definitely worth trying to find the 170. Don't think they put one in the Passat, that had the 2.8 but I think with less power than the golf version.