Columbus internal sim card slot

well i pick up my L&K tomorrow - but i envisage it will be the weekend before i have time to mess with all the toys properly :p

just so everybody knows this is why i was confused - copy and pasted from the brochure

Columbus touchscreen satellite navigation system with integrated Wi-Fi HDD-based navigation with 8" colour

TFT touchscreen, DVD drive and an internal SIM card slot

Premium WLAN with integrated high-speed LTE internet † Includes SIM card slot and rSAP profile compatibility

to provide high-speed LTE internet. Only available in combination with Columbus satellite navigation system

Hope all goes well tomorrow. Enjoy.....

• Like 1

Cheers

did you order your L&K with the premium WLAN? - i didnt bother - just got the bluetooth+ & phone box

I ordered bt+ with phonebox too. I pay for a sim with unlimited data for my phone, so couldn't justify the extra cost of the option plus another sim with data charges on top.

Had there been a really good reason for the car having its own permanent connectivity I would have - e.g. Map updates, syncing smartgate data direct to the cloud, getting traffic alerts online like the tomtom does, but we aren't quite there yet. If only!

I've got an off the wall theory - I wonder if the faceplate to the glove box part of the Columbus is just covering the hole but the actual sim slot hardware loves behind it. This would be why the configuration menu for sim based wifi is there still. Would love to pop one of the covers off and have a look behind it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by drewpost
  • Like 1

well i pick up my L&K tomorrow - but i envisage it will be the weekend before i have time to mess with all the toys properly :p

just so everybody knows this is why i was confused - copy and pasted from the brochure

Columbus touchscreen satellite navigation system with integrated Wi-Fi HDD-based navigation with 8" colour

TFT touchscreen, DVD drive and an internal SIM card slot

Premium WLAN with integrated high-speed LTE internet † Includes SIM card slot and rSAP profile compatibility

to provide high-speed LTE internet. Only available in combination with Columbus satellite navigation system

Have you got it yet ! ?? Come on get your priorities right !! 30 Page review with pictures !!

• Like 1

I've got an off the wall theory - I wonder if the faceplate to the glove box part of the Columbus is just covering the hole but the actual sim slot hardware loves behind it. This would be why the configuration menu for sim based wifi is there still. Would love to pop one of the covers off and have a look behind it!

Good thinking - must remember to visit the dealership and take a look!!

I maybe wrong but if you use the sim card in the car then you bypass wifi/bluetooth (slows down and or impairs connections) for faster internet access.....

Agree - in theory, the system should be better. But, then you're also fixed with it (apart from any software / firmware updates. Supporting internet over wifi does mean if you have a better connection with some other technology (e.g. 5g in the future whatever that is) then you're not limited.

• 3 months later...

I can help shed a bit of light. I'm getting my dealers demo hatch so spent some time playing with it extensively. The demo one has the Columbus but not any of the premium wifi options etc.

The WLAN configuration menu allowed me to take my personal hotspot from my iPhone and rebroadcasted it to the car with the Columbus' SSID and password and passed through this connection.

The other option was enable able but didn't seem to see anything to connect to the Internet via in terms of a SIM card. It was odd though as the menu was fully enabled which you wouldn't expect if it wasn't capable of doing it. i.e. If you don't have lane assist, the option to configure lane assist doesn't show up.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but did you actually check that devices connected to the Columbus WiFi could actually access the internet connection of your iPhone hotspot? In another thread, people are finding that they can connect the Columbus to a phone hotspot and can connect client devices to Columbus, but that the Columbus clients can't actually access web pages over the connection.

Thanks

• 10 months later...

Anyone checked this? :)

Agree.............you have a better connection with some other technology (e.g. 5g in the future whatever that is) then you're not limited.

5G is still some way off and will need additional frequencies, codecs and hardware not included in the car, or on any mobile phones currently. In the U.K. the spectrum hasn't been assigned or licences offered as yet. Parts of the current Digital TV bands must also be cleared first. We're not even fully 4G'd yet. Most people still run on 2G for a lot of the time, even if they don't know it.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi guys

I have an issue with my SIM slot:

I have a micro sim put in SIM adaptor ad whaen I insert the SIM in slot the Columbus do not see the SIM.

What can I do?

Regards

I would suppose that internal SIM card slot provides data service for Skoda Connect subscription. I have a second slot in the glovebox, but even when the SIM-card is not there, the car is online through the app on my smartphone. 

• 2 years later...