Fabia Steering Warning Light

My steering warning light was on while driving the short distance to work this morning. I didn't actually notice any problems with the steering. When I drove home the light didn't come back on. I've done a search of the forums and it seems that there's often a problem with the sensor. One thought is that it was extremely cold this morning: I'd had to de-ice the windows and even the mirrors. There'd been a complete thaw by the afternoon. Should I get the car checked, or should I ignore it if it doesn't happen again? Are things like this temperature sensitive? I have only a few months of my warranty left so I'd hate to leave something until after it expires. I have a Fabia 1.4 8v.

Had it happen to us on our Fabia , was cold but once it was warm didn't come on, px'ed the car a week later! so don't know if it was a one off.

Other possibility is battery is on its way out (can be checked with a multimeter) which will be magnified by this cold weather...

Chris

Why would a low battery cause that particular warning light to come on? The car is only 2.5 years old. Isn't that a short lifespan for a battery?

Why would a low battery cause that particular warning light to come on? The car is only 2.5 years old. Isn't that a short lifespan for a battery?

Because the power steering uses a hydro-electric pump so draws a lot on the battery ... IIRC, if there's not enough power, the power steering unit will put the light on and log a fault :D 2.5 years does sound a short lifespan for a battery, but it depends how the car is used ... frequent short journies will shorten it's life....

Chris

I have also had this. Have you checked your fan belt if its too slack or worn out your battery might not be getting charged properly! It is an electric pump on the power steering so it could be that the battery is weak because the fan belt is slipping (so not turning the alternator properly) and because of this, the power steering pump isnt getting the power it needs.

But that said its usually the cold weather that knackers batteries.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I made another short journey in similarly icy weather this morning and the light didn't come on.

Before coming home tonight I decided to give the car a treat with a random drive along the A6 (roughly 30 mile round trip). I realise that lots of short journeys aren't good for a variety of reasons, but it's a couple of weeks since I've needed to travel any distance.

• 3 weeks later...

I've have had this problem too, but my steering was actually affected...

I started the car up the other morning, pulled off the drive and noticed the warning light and that the steering was very heavy. I turned the car off, went back inside to confirm what the light was, the manual stated I could 'proceed with caution', so I did, but restarting the car sorted the problem, power steering was back in it's former glory..?:confused:

I've had this a couple of times since, so I've turned the car off and straight back on again, and it's worked so far... I'm a bit worried, that it might not work next time though!:o

Is it the same problem as above or is there something actually wrong with the steering, ANY THOUGHTS??

Had this a few times too. Always in cold weather and light always goes out if you start the car again. (no actual steering problem)

I had a theory that maybe I moved the steering wheel before the light had gone out on the dash and that caused some fault? I don't know, I've not tried done a true test yet but I now always wait for the steering light to go out before I do anything and I've not had the problem. (sad isn't it)

Perhaps try this if you get a minute and post the results- see if I'm talking cr4p or not.

Cheers

My Fabia (1.9Tdi Elegance) is also 2.5 years old and I have had this problem before. The dealer replaced the sensor under warranty about a year ago.

The same problem has now come back a second time. I was wondering about the cold start up thing, because it has happened when it is very cold. However today it kicked in after about half an hour's driving whilst I was on the motorway, and took the climate control out with it as well (it just blew very hot no matter what the a/c setting was). When I parked the steering was super heavy.

I'd get it down the dealership whilst its still under warranty and get them to sort it out.

Mine came on this morning for the second or third time, it was ok till I stopped for some diesel when the steering became heavy. By chance the vrs was going in for a new heater control unit to be fitted so I asked them to investigate. When they checked it out they said a sensor was showing a fault. Hope this isn't the start of lots of niggles.

By chance the vrs was going in for a new heater control unit to be fitted so I asked them to investigate. When they checked it out they said a sensor was showing a fault. Hope this isn't the start of lots of niggles.

By chance? :confused:

I'm having the heating problem too, the choices are bloody hot or bloody hot!

Steering warning light/heater playing up... is there a link? Doesn't sound like one... let's have a tech put us straight!:o