Compound Turbo set up- Advice required

DaveJVRYES

I am going to be doing a full engine strip down and rebuild in the new year, so I have started to buy/collect/acquire the parts.

I have managed to get a rather large KKK K28 turbo, I believe this was from a HGV between 9 and 11 litres, so I doubt this turbo wouldn't be any use as a single turbo application.

So my question is... Would this turbo be any good for a compound set up? Would the PD150 GT1749VB be any good as the smaller of the two, or is it too small?

Please note this is going to be a build with performance in mind, I am looking to squeeze as much power out as I can.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I haven't managed to get any measurements off the turbo yet, but I will at the weekend when I can strip it down.

image.jpg1.jpg

image.jpg5.jpg

image.jpg4.jpg

image.jpg6.jpg

image.jpg2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

You're mad you! If you can get that thing spinning, your front wheels won't stop spinning!

Being that it's a truck turbo from a 9-11ltr engine, what size are you looking to tune? I think you'd be better getting something from a 4ltr engine and compounding that especially if you are trying to tune a 2.0ltr perhaps.

I would say that turbo is a little bit too big even for compounding unless the engine were around 3.0ltrs. Anything less won't produce enough exhaust to get that thing up to speed fast enough even with a straight in turbo feed. Lag would be stupendous and if the power did come in full it would be too fierce.

Be interesting to see if you can make it work though.

• 2 weeks later...

You're mad you! If you can get that thing spinning, your front wheels won't stop spinning!

Being that it's a truck turbo from a 9-11ltr engine, what size are you looking to tune? I think you'd be better getting something from a 4ltr engine and compounding that especially if you are trying to tune a 2.0ltr perhaps.

I would say that turbo is a little bit too big even for compounding unless the engine were around 3.0ltrs. Anything less won't produce enough exhaust to get that thing up to speed fast enough even with a straight in turbo feed. Lag would be stupendous and if the power did come in full it would be too fierce.

Be interesting to see if you can make it work though.

The plan is to use a 1.9 ASZ block and have it bored to 2.0, BKD pistons, forged rods, fully balanced bottom end, block girdle, custom made head gasket & BKD 16v head,

160% nozzles, FMIC, water meth injection and the compound turbo set up.

I know that turbo is on the rather large side of things, but it was given to me so I thought it might be worth a shot.

I would like to compound it with the PD150 turbo which I have on the car, as it was rebuilt about 13k miles ago, but I don't know if that might be too small?

I think you might have bitten off a little more than you can chew with that turbo.  Would love to know where it would even sit in the engine bay :D

Yeah you're probably right, but it's got to be worth a shot, what's the worst that could happen? ;)

With the 16v head the air box would be out of the way and then relocate the battery to the boot, would buy some space for the turbo.

Like this one....

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/golf-mk4-1-9-8v-tdi-arl-4-motion/