Problem with New car order

Hi All,

So I was going to collect a new car tomorrow and it's been registered on 30th September 2015.

Having looked into this, it now appears that all cars registered after 1st September 2015 must be Euro 6 compliant, however the car I have purchased it EU5+ not Euro6.

Where does this leave me? Should the dealer have pre-registered the car before the 1st September or are they permitted to sell it (Even though it looks otherwise from SMMT, DVLA, Autoexpress etc).

.Euro-dates.jpg

Thoughts would be appreciated, as this could be a serious issue as the car will be MOT tested against EU 6 standards which it won't pass.

A speedy response would be appreciated as I was due to collect it tomorrow, but won't be now

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Under the new Euro 6 rules car manufacturers are allowed to clear Euro 5 stock after September cut off.

"From last month all new diesel cars sold in Europe must have the latest Euro 6 engines, designed to significantly reduce the levels of pollutants emitted.

EU rules also allow manufacturers such as VW to continue to sell cars with the older, more polluting, Euro 5 engines to clear stock. These models will continue to be on the market well into next year."

Quoted from BBC web page

From 1st Sept 2014 they could sell, but it says all vehicles registered after 1st Sept 2015 Must be EU6, no exception:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/63083/euro-6-car-sales

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/90816/euro-6-emissions-standards-what-do-they-mean-for-you

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/exhaust-emissions-testing.asp

Do you have that BBC article?

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Yes that's the article. I know Euroland can be a bit crazy, but I cant see them expecting all car manufacturers to scrap all old stock with euro 5 engines.

Edit: After reading your links above, and further googling it appears you maybe correct and BBC article misleading.

Yes that's the article. I know Euroland can be a bit crazy, but I cant see them expecting all car manufacturers to scrap all old stock with euro 5 engines.

Edit: After reading your links above, and further googling it appears you maybe correct and BBC article misleading.

Aye and that's why I'm concerned.

If I am correct, then all vehicles registered after 01 Sept 2015 will be MOT tested against the EU6 emissions tests and there is no way an EU5 car would pass this (As I'm sure they'll use this current news to bring in NOx tests on dervs).

Of course the very worst case is drive it until half finance payments and hand it back, but I'd rather not do this.

I have now refused to collect the vehicle and told them I am awaiting an answer from Skoda Customer Services/VW care.

The dealer is mighty confused too as they've got a few EU5 engined cars that are not registered and are going to be chasing skoda to get an answer.

If any MOT testers out there or motor traders know anything on this, your input would be greatly appreciated.

I've also just found this irish document, which seems to agree with the SMMT that vehicles registered after 01/09/2015 must be EU6:

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20Std%20Leg/Emissions%20regs/Euro%205%20and%20Euro%206%20Emissions%20Reg%20light%20passengercommvehicles.pdf

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Personally I would reject as value will plummet very quickly in a few hours...............

It does leave VAG & others in a stick situation, as they have had long enough to sell "old" engines..........

I suppose the definition of old stock could be old model, not in current brochure, eg the "new" version has a new Euro6 engine..................you have an old build date car. Then it does not matter when it is sold for first time as it was built before the cut off date.

I know someone who bought a Lotus Carlton, did not register it & stored in in a showroom undriven for well over 10yrs. So when first registered it was old!

What's Euro 5+?

The current state of some of the diesel engines...................

they meet a new made up standard, & god knows what that is

..............basically limbo status at the moment..............????

What's Euro 5+?

Buggered if I know, but searching for it was what it lead me to find the EU6 thing and start asking questions.

Told the dealer I won't collect it and told skoda the situation. At the moment the dealers are playing ball, so I won't name and shame.

Personally I would reject as value will plummet very quickly in a few hours...............

It does leave VAG & others in a stick situation, as they have had long enough to sell "old" engines..........

I suppose the definition of old stock could be old model, not in current brochure, eg the "new" version has a new Euro6 engine..................you have an old build date car. Then it does not matter when it is sold for first time as it was built before the cut off date.

I know someone who bought a Lotus Carlton, did not register it & stored in in a showroom undriven for well over 10yrs. So when first registered it was old!

If you look at the SMMT site, it says first registered afer 1/09/2015 rather than produced after.

It seems they've basically said anything EU5 should have been registered on the last day of August and sold off as a pre-reg.

Not sure about cars exactly but I sell trucks. Euro6 came out for us in Jan 14 and there are certain exemptions that can apply.

Manufacturers can put vehicles on derogation lists and register them after cut off dates.

I'd assume there will be something similar but I'm guessing really.

We have new legislation coming in on Nov 1st for example, where if the truck was produced before July this year, they are exempt. Any truck manufactured after. July, has to comply or be registered before 1st November.

I can't see how a car manufacturer would miss something like this.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Not sure about cars exactly but I sell trucks. Euro6 came out for us in Jan 14 and there are certain exemptions that can apply.

Manufacturers can put vehicles on derogation lists and register them after cut off dates.

I'd assume there will be something similar but I'm guessing really.

We have new legislation coming in on Nov 1st for example, where if the truck was produced before July this year, they are exempt. Any truck manufactured after. July, has to comply or be registered before 1st November.

I can't see how a car manufacturer would miss something like this.

The eu6 type approval date was 1st sept 2014, and all vehicles registered after 1st sept 2015 must be eu6.

Skoda customer care phone operator seemed confused as to why they didn't pre reg it in august.

Hopefully all will become clear soon.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

The eu6 type approval date was 1st sept 2014, and all vehicles registered after 1st sept 2015 must be eu6.

Skoda customer care phone operator seemed confused as to why they didn't pre reg it in august.

Looks like they have a very expensive showroom car then!

VW takes 4,000 cars off the UK market - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34410390

This looks bad.

A bit more digging and i have found these too:

https://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/euro-emissions-standards.html

Is clear on any car registered after a date is eu6 compliant.

This says similar too:

http://www.clm.co.uk/diesel-emissions-crackdown/

Edited by cheezemonkhai

But there is an exemption to the rules.

EU rules also allow manufacturers such as VW to continue to sell cars with the older, more polluting, Euro 5 engines to clear stock. These models will continue to be on the market well into next year.

Cars already manufactured are allowed to be sold to clear stock.

• Like 1

But there is an exemption to the rules.

Cars already manufactured are allowed to be sold to clear stock.[/size]

On the bbc article, but not anywhere else. In fact the SMMT, and AA say otherwise for anything first registered after 1/09/2015

I'm trying to find something that says 100% either way, as a car with an eu5 engine that has to hit eu6 mot standards will be worthless.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Did you make any payment towards the car by a credit card? If so, contact them explain your concerns and get them to reject the car on your behalf.

I'd also try and get the person at SUK to put in their email their surprise at the dealership not registering the vehicle prior to September. Although not definitive proof, it may aid your case the headquarters of the company in the UK thinks they've boo-bood.

When I was looking at buying my new car last year I was aware that the new Euro6 was coming into force this year . I tried to get a Euro6 engine but N/A in the car I wanted for UK! Germany yes, UK NO. However at it was another year away & the actual engine differences were not too great & being petrol I was not bothered.

I am surprised considering your post count etc that you are not going for a Euro6 & not double checked about the facts on here earlier. I personally would not get an "old" standard spec so close to the cut off date, unless it was on a huge discount as old stock, as the residual value for the plate year will plummet........... compared to a Euro6 version.

When I was looking at buying my new car last year I was aware that the new Euro6 was coming into force this year . I tried to get a Euro6 engine but N/A in the car I wanted for UK! Germany yes, UK NO. However at it was another year away & the actual engine differences were not too great & being petrol I was not bothered.

I am surprised considering your post count etc that you are not going for a Euro6 & not double checked about the facts on here earlier. I personally would not get an "old" standard spec so close to the cut off date, unless it was on a huge discount as old stock, as the residual value for the plate year will plummet........... compared to a Euro6 version.

Well the car has an EA288 engine, not a 189, but frankly they showed me all the information on the vehicle in the brouchure, which states the car is EU6. It's a new vehicle in the showroom, so I had no reason to believe otherwise. It's only later I find out it's actually a Euro 5 engined vehicle.

Because it's on finance it's a bit of a pain, but I'm trying to contact VOSA (DVSA) yet again, so I'll see if I get anywhere.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Well even the VCA seem to give one answer to me and a different one to the dealer.

Luckily the car is on finance and the first £300 of the deposit was on a credit card. I can see this becoming a right pain in the backside.

The resale value, while it is an issue, is some what mittigated by the finance as I'll just hand it back after the minimum number of payments if there is a problem and make it their problem, not mine.

Edited by cheezemonkhai