trip computer panic!!

picture the scene - leave home, low fuel light comes on, check trip computer, 80 miles to go before empty.

Drive 17 miles and stop for an hour, start out on 45 ml journety to the middle of nowhere, check computer, 70 ml to go before empty, pass garage thinking would fill up on return.

get to destination, meet client and check computer as I leave - 0 mile till empty, 20 mile to garage - PANIC!!!!!!

Anyway go back to fuel station and put in 52.5 lts (55 lt tank) - moral of the story - Don't trust the sodding trip computer again!!!!

picture the scene - leave home' date=' low fuel light comes on, check trip computer, 80 miles to go before empty.

Drive 17 miles and stop for an hour, start out on 45 ml journety to the middle of nowhere, check computer, 70 ml to go before empty, pass garage thinking would fill up on return.

get to destination, meet client and check computer as I leave - 0 mile till empty, 20 mile to garage - PANIC!!!!!!

Anyway go back to fuel station and put in 52.5 lts (55 lt tank) - moral of the story - Don't trust the sodding trip computer again!!!![/quote']

It’s funny you should bring this up Slider as I have noticed this on both the Golf TDi and Toledo TDi that I have owned. I assumed what happened was if you stop the car long enough for the short distance trip to reset itself, then the car worked out your new ‘miles to go’ based at least partly on your new predicted fuel consumption. As diesel, similar to petrol cars use more fuel when cold, (it’s a myth that they don’t) the car realises that you will run out of fuel sooner, it sadly doesn’t realise that your consumption will soon improve, as the car was still a bit warm. Overall, I used to check my trip consumption with brimming my tank and found the trip computer to be very accurate. I think what I’m suggesting is that the trip is not actually wrong with it’s pessimism, but it’s more to do with how it looks at the data available to it.

Have you ever noticed that if you fill up, when the car is hot and your consumption is very good eg on a motorway, then the predicted ‘miles to go’ is massive. Then try filling up again when the consumption is poor, ie car has just driven a mile in freezing conditions in a busy city, the Predicted ‘miles to go’ is rubbish. Same car, same full fuel tank, just different average fuel consumption figures. Weird.

God I hate statistics

picture the scene - leave home' date=' low fuel light comes on, check trip computer, 80 miles to go before empty.

Anyway go back to fuel station and put in 52.5 lts (55 lt tank) - moral of the story - Don't trust the sodding trip computer again!!!![/quote']

Muggins got caught out on the M6. Low fuel, no service stations (in that particular bit anyway). Distance to go went from 65miles odd to 30, to 25, to 15miles etc. Eventually hit zero. I still did another 15 miles before I found a pertol station and topped up. Morale of the story?

These are a guide. They will say low fuel/oil/washer fluid etc, way before anything drastic happens - so DON'T PANIC!!

How about, if it reads Zero, then it is time to drive @ 50mph, very light footed to the nearest garage & fill up.

Wow you've posted a few replies lfc958!!:orb_faint Still think that the Trip computer is accurate overall and I wouldn't be without it. Whats you're Furby called? if that's not too personal a question:)