Anyone got a Spaceback Sport ? & - Hows the tdi 90bhp engine ?

Well..

Today went to my local dealer to look at the new Superb, turns out the MRS now wants a new car and while we was in the delaer she was sat in a Spaceback Sport in demin blue.

Spec wise - wow, to get a car with the same spec with a VW or Audi badge would be another £8k plus for the VW.

Anyway... back to the question.... how does the 1.4 tdi 90 drive ? does it pull its weight ok ? Car is only going to be a kid carrier and local run about so power if not the key element here.

Would welcome other peoples photos... I like the Carrida Red, with the black panno glass and wheels...

Any reason to not go for one ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by RickTT

OP - based on the usage you've described, a diesel is entirely the wrong car for you. You won't be doing the long motorway runs needed to deliver fuel economy and - more importantly - to regenerate the Diesel Particulate Filter. You should be looking at the petrol models, such as the 1.2 TSI 110.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

• Like 1

Thank for the replies and feedback, while I agree with the dpf statement, the tsi was going to be first choce however after doing some man maths as the car is going to be on a fully mainanted lease I'm not too concerned about the dpf, plus the Bik tax works out that the tdi is cheaper over the term.
The car will be used on more longer runs at weekends to able it to regen for longer periods of time to complete and odd occasion mid week, so a little more than just local but only peaking at 9k miles a year based on previous last 4 years usage so it's fair short of tdi overall advantages from a mile point of view.

Even the current routes the car does there's the opportunity to regen.

The tsi works out at £600 more over the term of 36 months, so I guess is the tsi worth the extra taking into account the warm up cycle of the tdi v tsi plus cold start mpg? But petrol is now cheaper than diesel but guess that will change in due course

What sort of realistic urban mpg do the tsi v tdi get if driven by the typical non red line driver ?

Also looked at the dsg box option, but think realistically the manual will suit our needs for this car .

Thanks in advance

Edited by RickTT

TSi - Urban probably 40 mpg or worse.

the dealer finance PCP figures are ????? given the TSi lists at £950 less than the TDi 90

Is she used to driving a diesel?  because in my experience the diesel Rapid is no way as nice a drive as the petrol.

The 1.6 in particular is one of the more horrid diesel motors I've ever driven.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

I would concur with Camelspyder - the 1.6 TDi is hard work, not a fun drive (have driven one in a Polo, so as close to a Rapid as you can get).

Again, don't see how the OPs sums add up with the diesel being cheaper?

I'm now using my 1.2 TSI almost entirely for short local runs and am getting about 41mpg out of it. It is also a fun and spirited car for those shorter runs.

When I was still doing a 70mile daily commute to and from the office I was clearing very high 40s (47-49 usually) from a tank, and into the low 50s on a few occasions.

So, don't write the petrol off on both overall running costs as well as fuel economy. It is also incredibly quiet.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

• Like 1

TSi - Urban probably 40 mpg or worse.

the dealer finance PCP figures are ????? given the TSi lists at £950 less than the TDi 90

That's interesting to know, is it an old unit ? She has had the 105 tdi in a mk5 hold and 1.9tdi in a mk6, plus I have had experience of the 1.9tdi 130 in the Audi, plus the older pd engines.

I think tsi would be the logical option here, just need to do some more men maths .

In regards to pcp, not got any from skoda direct but various brookers on personal leases are quoting £185 pm over 36 with £1100 down, but I have the option via a leading company which brings the price in at around £700 more over the term but fully maintained and insured .

In regards to the prices, yes, they dont stack up from a RRP v term, however from experience a factor is the predicted depreciation of the car.

thanks

Edited by RickTT

I have a 105 tdi spaceback, I only travel 5 miles to and 5 back to work each day. It gets a longer run of 40 miles each way at the weekend. No DPF problems.the light has never come and I've never been noticed the re-gen, the fuel economy sits at about 58mpg (display shows 60 mpg) fill up to fill up. I have seen over 70mpg on a long run driven with repect.

Fair to say hovever I did buy a diesel  as I expected to cover a  greater mileage  but a a change of circumtances shortly after purchase meant I was required to use a company vehicle for work rather than the car. Reading various posts I had some concerns about the DPF but all seems well.

• Like 1

That regular weekly long run is the thing keeping your DPF nicely conditioned. As long as you keep it up you won't have any blockage issues.