Limp mode.

AndyC

Just back home from a tour of Scotland. Car was running as normal until I came off the M6 for the final bit of the journey. 5 minutes later the glowplug light starts to flash and  the car drops into limp mode. Made it home and it seems to be running OK otherwise, no odd noises etc. Anyone any idea what the problem might be? Will book it in on Monday.

Andy

First thing to look at will be the brake lights to see if they are working as the engine ecu needs the signal from the switch, if none is present then it will start flashing the glowplug light as a first step.. Next step is to find someone local with a VCDS set up to find out what fault codes have been logged, then you can go forward from there. A dealer will charge you the best part of £70 to £80 just to hook up to their machine I would have thought.

Ian

I'm a left foot braker and I thought I had a similar and dangerous problem which seemed to occur when doing a U turn.....silly me, I still had the brake lights on cos I hadn't come completely off the brake pedal.

It basically cut fuel to idle and I thought I had a problem......I did

It was me.

Did u stop at a service station by any chance,somebody may have swopped the ea189 engine for a3 cylinder pug!

Did you mean the 2.0L 160kw / 380nm version Pug

Or

The 'mear' 96kw / 230nm 1.2L one

Cos

On a cc basis my Yeti is hopelessly outclassed

In every respect

• Like 1

I've just realised it's a good job Bob isn't a member here anymore...........................................................

The Corner would never have been empty!  :angel:  :peek:

• Like 2

Amusing thread drift.....but back on topic.

The car is with  local VAG indy who have confirmed its the EGR. Described the job as a 'pig' because of all the stuff they have to move to reach the part -drive shafts and transfer box etc. Over 10 hours of labour, final bill will be over £1000. :sweat:

They have just done the same job on a Tiguan and have a Superb booked in for later in the week.

Andy

The car is with  local VAG indy who have confirmed its the EGR. Described the job as a 'pig' because of all the stuff they have to move to reach the part -drive shafts and transfer box etc. Over 10 hours of labour, final bill will be over £1000. :sweat:

They have just done the same job on a Tiguan and have a Superb booked in for later in the week.

Andy

The Skoda techs took 8 hours to refit the EGR due to the 4WD setup, fortunately it was covered under warranty.

EGR's have plagued VAG along with other manufactures with failures. Fairly topical as these devises are designed to make the engine cleaner/more efficient.

Would pursue SUK for some goodwill, although they are obviously preoccupied with the VAG-GATE fiasco, as I'm finding.

TP

Andy

And that's just the EGR and blows 'superior economy' out of the water.

The financial figures no longer hold up for the light complex fragile modern diesel.

Low-temperature combustion is being worked on and if achieved will eliminate the NOx problem AND most of the somewhat fragile hardware needed to trap and neutralise it.

Will it arrive in time though?

Perhaps they have been plagued with egr problems because the way they have manipulated they software to cheat on the emissions,I find it very hard to believe now to accept their word that a component has failed just by chance and it will cost £1000 thank u very much because if you have had the software altered that is the first reason/excuse without any proof that it was detrimental to the warranty and you have to accept that a common problem is your tuff luck,no fault of theirs but the customer has to pay?

Perhaps they have been plagued with egr problems because the way they have manipulated they software to cheat on the emissions,I find it very hard to believe now to accept their word that a component has failed just by chance and it will cost £1000 thank u very much because if you have had the software altered that is the first reason/excuse without any proof that it was detrimental to the warranty and you have to accept that a common problem is your tuff luck,no fault of theirs but the customer has to pay?

To the contrary I would think

The EGR will more likely be working harder and more of the time to make the real world emmissions a mear 10 times over test figures.

Perhaps that is why there is such a high failure rate with EGR unit and what a stupid design to take 8 hours to access a component and replace parts after fitting on 4wd models,ver sprung dunk?

Didn't VAG have a couple of recalls for EGR problems on 2.0l desiel engines and there are many reports on the Briskoda and vag forums?the same engine/egr as in the yeti.

Didn't VAG have a couple of recalls for EGR problems on 2.0l desiel engines and there are many reports on the Briskoda and vag forums?the same engine/egr as in the yeti.

No.

There were some problems with the older Pdi diesel, but that wasn't fitted to the Yeti.

To the OP - any idea on what the actual fault with the EGR is ? Would you be able to find out (and maybe the fault code that it threw)?

If there isn't a leak (or either exhaust gas, or coolant) then you could probably fit a blanking plate, and get the EGR mapped out so the ECU doesn't report low EGR flow. Would be a *far* cheaper solution than EGR replacement if you're out of warranty.

If it's failed in such a way that it's leaking coolant or exhaust gas then I guess physical replacement is the only option.

To the OP - any idea on what the actual fault with the EGR is ? Would you be able to find out (and maybe the fault code that it threw)?

If there isn't a leak (or either exhaust gas, or coolant) then you could probably fit a blanking plate, and get the EGR mapped out so the ECU doesn't report low EGR flow. Would be a *far* cheaper solution than EGR replacement if you're out of warranty.

If it's failed in such a way that it's leaking coolant or exhaust gas then I guess physical replacement is the only option.

I'll ask the garage when I collect after the repairs. They are very good at explaining the repairs. Off topic, had the letter from Skoda this morning to say that the car is affected by the emissions trouble.

Andy

I'll ask the garage when I collect after the repairs. They are very good at explaining the repairs. Off topic, had the letter from Skoda this morning to say that the car is affected by the emissions trouble.

Andy

There's a small thread on the subject just desperate for another contributor.
  • Like 1

Andy

Long shot, but if you could get your hands on the old one, I'd love to see what's inside them. I'll pay you postage if you want to send it to me!