2016 MY VRS iPod connection

Hi folks. When I ordered our Octavia in April I specified the AMI interface for iPod etc but whilst fortunate enough to get a 2016 MY build car the iPod connection was not fitted when I picked up the car.

During delivery the driver called the supplying dealer who informed me they hadn't ordered the option in error and would arrange to have it retro fitted.

I accepted this and annotated and signed the delivery paperwork to confirm the conversation.

A month later nothing happened so I chased it up. This time the dealer ( Simpsons in Preston) said this was an ordering issue overlapping the model year and the AMI was not fitted to the 2016 car. They proposed to refund the option cost of 150 and the rental adjusted accordingly.

I've refused this as I don't like using the iPod with the USB and having the cable visible.

I'm delighted with the car otherwise and the functionality of the iPod with the Amundsen is excellent. But cables on front of the dash. No thanks.

What is the alternative or updated platform for using iPod with the 2016 MY?

I've asked the leasing company to go back to Simpson and request they follow through on their promise to fit the AMI connection to the car so I'll wait and see what happens.

Any similar experience or comments on this. I'm really surprised on the new model that you no longer have an option for an integrated iPod connection.

I just put my entire music collection on a 32GB sd card. It is much easier to navigate amd nothing to see.

I genuinely hadn't thought about that option. Does this store album artwork and listing information? How many albums can you get on a 32GB card?

Edit: found the answer to my own question: 32GB is 8000 songs so completely fine for my ~650 CD collection. Thanks for directing a luddite on the right path.

Where did you expect the AMI interface to be, it just replaces the USB doesn't it?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I don't know where I expected it to be. I searched online , on this forum and asked on freedom tech page without success.

I guess I assumed rather than expected it to be in the glove compartment as per other VAG products. Are you saying the AMI simply replaces the USB on the base of the dash?

I thought iPod integration was standard through the USB socket now, hence no option for it??

if that's correct thank you for clarifying. I will go the USB route methinks as I'm really not keen on the cable being visible. Not a very integrated option in my humble view. Appreciate the information. Cheers.

• Like 1

+1 MDI/USB has always been fitted there....I agree Skoda could have chosen a better location but as is life. I have a Mk7 Golf and the USB lives in the closable front compartment by the gearlever.

For MY16 and intro of the revised MIB2 infotainment units VAG did away with the proprietary MDI connection....all units are now Apple compatible over a standard USB connection as has always been the case with the MIB1 Columbus.

• Like 1