Power supply to cigarette lighter outlet.

This is exactly what I've been looking for as I wanted to do it this way for my TomTom, is it the mini fuse size you've used. Also, what size amp fuse should I use, thanks in advance, your pic is spot on.

Yes it is a mini fuse. Check your Tom Tom paperwork for the fuse size. If you connect using the original Tom Tom lighter connector it will have a fuse inside and the fuse on the fuse box is irrelevant if the fuse in the connector is smaller as it will blow first.

Yes it is a mini fuse. Check your Tom Tom paperwork for the fuse size. If you connect using the original Tom Tom lighter connector it will have a fuse inside and the fuse on the fuse box is irrelevant if the fuse in the connector is smaller as it will blow first.

Cheers peter3197, I'll get on EBay straight away.

For those following this thread, the Lukas LK-290 is a better choice of discharge prevention device. This is because its minimum voltage check before shut off is higher than the power magic pro. At 11.7volts, a car battery can already be dead.

post-142335-0-66131600-1460395777_thumb.pngBought these:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pcs-12-24V-Add-Circuit-Fuses-Tap-Piggy-Back-MINI-Blade-Fuse-Box-Holder-ATM-APM-/252067682579?hash=item3ab0679913

I used the supplied fuse but it should be 2 amp but I have the 2 amp fuse in the lead for the dash cam so that will blow first so I don't think it matters. My lead from the fusebox goes to a female lighter socket which the dashcam lead plugs into.

This the female socket, cut the crocs off. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-12v-Portable-Auxiliary-aux-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-with-Crocodile-Clips-/251960719261?hash=item3aaa07779d

If you take the sidepanel off the dash you will find plenty of room to put everything and use one of the big bolts for the earth. The sidepanel comes off by inserting a slim lever in the side closest to you and levering it away. If you do it this way make sure you tape the socket and plug together as they can spring apart, at which point, one starts swearing.

Peter, do you mean one of these bolt heads?

post-142335-0-66131600-1460395777_thumb.png

Edited by Osmosis

Peter, do you mean one of these bolt heads?

attachicon.gifIMG_3810.png

Yes, photo came up now. Just loosen off slightly and slip the earth wire behind and do up.

Edited by peter3197

post-142335-0-05629100-1460648747_thumb.jpegpost-142335-0-54010700-1460648821_thumb.jpegpost-142335-0-99772600-1460648868_thumb.jpegpost-142335-0-49028000-1460648917_thumb.jpeg

So, hopefully these images show up.

I bought the Lukas LK-290 (battery discharge prevention device). This is because my Mobius dashcam would deplete the car battery and I wanted a set and forget device.

I used fuse positions 30 and 51. These are fuses that don't relate to any safety systems (p184? In the manual).

30 was used for the red switching wire with 2amp fuse.

50 was used for the yellow always live wire with 3amp fuse.

I've used add-a-circuit dual tap fuse adapters for a more professional install. Tucked away underneath and held with electrical tape to reduce any stress on them (in case vibrations were to work them loose). The fuse taps don't seem to go as firmly as a single fuse would.

The cigarette lighter end of the Lukas is held with a cable-tie near where I've attached the black ground wire (big bolts image).

The LK-290 is set to ON, so will continue to run the dashcam until the car battery reaches 12.4 volts. At which point it will cut power to the camera.

Edited by Osmosis